Keim didn't have the b***s to take Russell Wilson in the dra

Maulbert

Reaction score
Not saying Palmer hasn't worked out for him, overall it was a successful move, but Palmer has a terrible injury history and that's followed him to Arizona. Even last year, he struggled after he hurt his thumb. He picked up his only playoff win last year, right after he turned 36. Any idiot who thinks trading for Palmer will make up for passing on Wilson doesn't understand how football works (that's a shot at Peter King, not Steve Keim). I give Palmer 2 more years at most before he begins to fall apart.

OP
OP
b8rtm8nn

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
It shows how some GMs and scouts restrict their views on players by being scared off by the measureables - hands too small, arms too short, QB too short in this case. Keim just happens to admit this publicly, making it likely that he wouldn't have picked Wilson at all in the draft; not just waiting a little longer, like Schneider did.

And you are correct, Keim bought us some time, but the Cards really need someone in the queue past Palmer. I'm sure another HOF QB will fall to us in the third round next year and Keim can look past his bias this time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Steve Keim, I didn't think he was the GM the year Wilson was drafted.............

OP
OP
b8rtm8nn

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
He was director of personnel or something that last year, Rod Graves was GM, but not sure what he actually did outside of press conferences and struggling to get contracts done on time.

Laloosh

Reaction score
^^ I just want to take this opportunity to say that I rather enjoy looking at "the bird" in your avatar.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I thought the bit about Doug Baldwin apologizing was interesting. Makes me like him even more.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":313plxau said:
^^ I just want to take this opportunity to say that I rather enjoy looking at "the bird" in your avatar.

That's a filthy bird, take it off NOW. :irishdrinkers:

dogorama

Reaction score
So much more refreshing than the 20/20 hindsight that seems to pervade our own fan's initial evaluation of RW's abilities. Suffice it to say that the only person that could have envisioned the success that Russell Wilson has had is Russell Wilson himself.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Laloosh":ylhfl3c1 said:

Really just indicative of why the Cardinals will never win the Super Bowl. Look what's right above the bird and yet the stupid bird isn't even looking!

OP
OP
b8rtm8nn

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
HawkGA":25lbpolz said:
Laloosh":25lbpolz said:

Really just indicative of why the Cardinals will never win the Super Bowl. Look what's right above the bird and yet the stupid bird isn't even looking!

But the bird smiles.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dogorama":1feu1ht3 said:
So much more refreshing than the 20/20 hindsight that seems to pervade our own fan's initial evaluation of RW's abilities. Suffice it to say that the only person that could have envisioned the success that Russell Wilson has had is Russell Wilson himself.
I take exception to that and I bet the poster that is a Wisconsin Badger fan would do the same. Anybody that watched his senior year would know he was special just like Tyler Lockett. It was painfully obvious given both meet every tangible and intangible measurable beyond physical height with the numbers to prove it against top competition. Both should have been first round picks with Wilson being top three but old school biases dictated differently.

dogorama

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ptwan90 said:
dogorama":3ptwan90 said:
I take exception to that and I bet the poster that is a Wisconsin Badger fan would do the same. Anybody that watched his senior year would know he was special just like Tyler Lockett. It was painfully obvious given both meet every tangible and intangible measurable beyond physical height with the numbers to prove it against top competition. Both should have been first round picks with Wilson being top three but old school biases dictated differently.

Granted, Wisconsin fans were way ahead of us on that one, but people here deride anyone who doubted his ability when every single person I knew here criticized the pick. You know what would be fun? Get the mods to dig up their archives and post the board's reaction to his being picked in the third round, LOL!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dogorama":2pxv1l35 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2pxv1l35 said:
dogorama":2pxv1l35 said:

Granted, Wisconsin fans were way ahead of us on that one, but people here deride anyone who doubted his ability when every single person I knew here criticized the pick. You know what would be fun? Get the mods to dig up their archives and post the board's reaction to his being picked in the third round, LOL!
It wasn't horrible iirc but like Lockett I was onboard immediately. I was here in Kansas City so I saw him regularly like Lockett and had an unfair advantage. Lockett was the only player that I actually talked about in the draft forum with the draft guys, the draft and scouting isn't my thing but I know elite when it's obvious. Wilson I just said wait for it..... after we drafted him because I expected him to go high in the second round and us to have absolutely no chance at getting him.

dogorama

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":uo7qmuit said:
dogorama":uo7qmuit said:
MizzouHawkGal":uo7qmuit said:
dogorama":uo7qmuit said:

It wasn't horrible iirc but like Lockett I was onboard immediately. I was here in Kansas City so I saw him regularly like Lockett and had an unfair advantage. Lockett was the only player that I actually talked about in the draft forum with the draft guys, the draft and scouting isn't my thing but I know elite when it's obvious. Wilson I just said wait for it..... after we drafted him because I expected him to go high in the second round and us to have absolutely no chance at getting him.

I'll be honest, the pick didn't make sense to me, I knew Wisconsin had a very good team but being a Husky I wasn't really following the Big-10 that much since the two conferences didn't automatically face up in the Rose Bowl anymore. We had just spent the money to get Flynn and I'm like what? We have the QB we want and you waste a 3rd round pick on a 5-10 QB? Then, I started doing some investigating and the one thing stuck out to me, well two things really, Wisc was two plays away from playing for the NC and his coach at Wisc said he was the greatest football player he had ever seen. Ever seen? I thought. That's a pretty big statement coming from a Big-10 coach. Of course as early as the second preseason game you could see it and by the end he had clearly outplayed Flynn but I was afraid they would still go w/the financial committment they made just to save face. That's the great thing about PC though, you earn the position and it's yours. I am not sure many teams would have made him the starter at that point.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What on earth is this guy talking about?

Hardly anyone derided the pick.

People liked the idea of him competing for the job and were delighted when he snatched it away from T-Jack and Flynn. It was exciting.

There was a little bit of hand-wringing but that's natural. The majority of Seahawks fans were happy they drafted Wilson and as his rookie year developed it became clear he was special.

dogorama

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ovfptbzk said:

People liked the idea of him competing for the job and were delighted when he snatched it away from T-Jack and Flynn. It was exciting.

There was a little bit of hand-wringing but that's natural. The majority of Seahawks fans were happy they drafted Wilson and as his rookie year developed it became clear he was special.

Baloney, more revisionist history. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/russe ... aft-class/

Edit: By the end of the preseason pretty much everyone was onboard but at the time of the draft there was more than just "hand-wringing."

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
dogorama":3d47v05n said:

Its not hindsight for me. I was neutral on the pick but after watching him play in the preseason you could tell he had "IT". I told all of my coworkers he would be the best QB from that draft and better than Luck...and look..he is :D

And speaking of Lockett he was my Adopt a rookie and did not dissapoint. I had no clue who this guy was until looking into him after the draft and with his exceptional route running you could tell he would contribute right away.

The funny thing is how people thought Flynn would be anything lol. I am also a Vikings fan so pay attention to the Packers and Flynn was a joke there. He has one good game against the LIONS of all teams with 6 TD and people think hes the next coming of Joe Montana :roll: Sidenote....The Lions scored the go ahead TD with about 2:30 left in that game too and then obv GB scored again. Final Score was 45-41

Just watching both Flynn and Wilson it was blatantly obvious who the QB should be. Thank God Pete isnt a typical coach and decided to let Wilson start or else we might not have a superbowl trophy

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":l2a7l781 said:

I actually remember alot of calls for BENCHING Wilson on this forum because the start to his rookie career was not the greatest. I would say it wasnt until the Patriots game where people finally started believing in him. Up til that point in the season in 5 games he only had 5TD and 6INT....He then finished off the season with 21TD and 4INT.

rigelian

Reaction score
I remember early in his rookie season fans calling for Wilson to be benched for Flynn. Fans are fickle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk