Revisiting Tyree Wilson for the Seahawks

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
What about putting 20# on Wilson, then put him at DE use him in a Chris Jones style?
Wilson will be gone by 20 probably by 10. I like him as a 5 tech 3-4 End or at least start out as a situational pass rusher a la Aldon Smith when he get drafted by the 9ers

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Why are we not considering Nolan Smith? Dude ran a 4.39 40. He is a tick smaller then ideal, but at his size he has no problem setting the edge verse the run. When he is able to pin his ears back he gives me Von Miller, Micah Parsons vibes. I also believe he is solid in coverage. I want this guy to be s a Seahawk!
Late flyer maybe. I would convert him to SS, just like they did with Kam.

James in PA

Reaction score
Wow, I have to admit I've been down on Wilson. Maybe the last name has something to do with it.
;)

Seriously, Ive said repeatedly that I cannot see him going 5 (as so many mocks have) let alone sooner. Even though hes a physical freak, I just dont see the get off from this guy. Chris Simms gets these rankings right more often than not. I'm gonna gave to watch some more on Wilson. Maybe I've been missing something.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Wow, I have to admit I've been down on Wilson. Maybe the last name has something to do with it.
;)

Seriously, Ive said repeatedly that I cannot see him going 5 (as so many mocks have) let alone sooner. Even though hes a physical freak, I just dont see the get off from this guy. Chris Simms gets these rankings right more often than not. I'm gonna gave to watch some more on Wilson. Maybe I've been missing something.
I think people see this huge guy, who's not going to win purely with speed & just assume that he'll bust. I've seen this argument repeatedly.

We're conditioned to see the smaller, quicker guys as having a clear advantage, when it comes to rushing. But Simms has a point. Wilson is not only an outlier in regards to size. His arms are so long. That it's a massive advantage in his favor, as far as leverage. He can win with speed to power.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It's not like Tyree did agility testing either, although he does an excuse for it. Could your opinion of his agility be influenced by the quality of the tackles he was matched up against? Obviously he didn't play vs. Oklahoma and there weren't many decent tackles in that big 12 schedule last season beyond that. The remaining good matchups he had (Houston / NC State) were also two of his least impressive games.

week 2 vs. Houston: Wilson's size stands out more than his play does. He gets a few pressures but they are off blitzes, when a RB chips him, or beating the RT once. To be fair Wilson was getting double teamed a lot, but LT #76 Patrick Paul (6'7" 310lbs) held his own pretty well whenever Wilson tried to go outside.

week 3 vs. NC State: Anthony Belton (6'6" 330lbs) was more than agile enough to stay in front of him, although Wilson was a complete mismatch against his RT teammate McKay. The only pressure I saw on Belton's side was when he split a double team with power - something he is good at. He did catch Belton by surprise once or twice with a bull rush, but I came away more impressed by Belton than Wilson overall.
Sold! Let's draft that Anthony Belton dude from NC State for our OL. What? He's draft class of 2024 or 2025? Drats!!