Kaep Agent's take: 49ers face challenges in any new deal

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Look what the Redforeskins gave up for that hack they have.

Papaki gave us all we could handle which is more than I can say for GOAT Manning

Giedi

Reaction score
Hawks46":ja69l4k9 said:
rigelian":ja69l4k9 said:
I think that people underestimate the risks that exist on both sides.

First for Kaepernick. At this point he is a phenomenal physical talent. He has a strong arm. He is a great runner. He's smart, especially in the sense of avoiding the big hit. He gives defenses terrible match up problems. However, there are a couple of things that make signing him to a long term contract risk.

First, I don't know if Kaepernick will ever be able to quickly process a defense. Some people think that this is a skill that can be taught. I'm not so sure. This is not an intellectual issue, but a speed in processing issue. I get the feeling that he reads slowly and quickly runs out of time in his progressions. The second issue is more of a leadership good decision issue. He makes risky decisions.

Assuming that he doesn't progress a good deal on both of these fronts, the 49ers are going to make a huge decision before the product is fully baked.

I think Seahawk fans are a bit myopic when it comes down to whether Russell is going to ask for the moon in terms of payday. I think he will. Contracts and money are a measuring stick. RW is an extremely competitive guy. He wants to be known as one of the best. Part of the acknowledgement is your contract.

I agree with you, and on first read of that nfl.com article where Kap wanted 18 mil/year, I thought it was too much. Thing is, Kap has great accuracy in the 1-2 reads that he does make. His WRs that he has (Boldin/Crabtree) are good at grabbing contested balls and have good hands. So Kap can fling them the ball even when he's in trouble. He's also the worst in the league for accuracy under pressure at 54%. That goes into making your 3rd and 4th reads. Thing is, the kid wins. He is a true dual threat QB and that stresses most defenses. Our defense is set up well to stop him with the personnel we have, but if we start losing guys, he could end up getting us a few times easy. Also, look at all the other defenses out there, and he shreds most of them. He's a 12 win a year QB on that team, and that has a lot of value.

I'm not sure Flacco's deal will be too indicative of what guys go for. Sure, Flacco got it after winning a SB, but it's also well documented that it hamstrung them in their cap space and adversely affected the team this year. Also, on a lesser talanted team, Flacco wasn't good enough to take them to the playoffs, so he's not earning that elite contract. I think teams are wise enough to not fling out too much, and Cutler and Romo (although both are overpaid) will probably be the benchmarks of a team friendly deal for top tier QBs, until the cap goes up signficantly.

This isn't good news for us though, as we can't negotiate with Wilson now, while it's going to be a lot cheaper. There will be larger deals this year due to the growing cap, and more next year, so it's going to cost us 18-20 mil/year for Wilson, whether we like it or not. That's going to suck the first couple of years until the cap grows and we can absorb it easier.
Wilson is a great talent. I would say 20 Mil would be the floor considering the deals done in 2013. Add to that he's a proven super bowl winning QB. That puts, what I think, is a considerable premium on top of that floor. With Wilson, even if you have below average players all around, he's worth at least 8 wins a year, and we know with your front office that's not going to happen.

Subzero717

Reaction score
rideaducati":yxjb5rd4 said:
Marvin49":yxjb5rd4 said:
MizzouHawkGal":yxjb5rd4 said:
No the franchise tag locks them up a year at a time.

Depends on the tag...Exclusive or non-exculsive.

Not sure why you would use the Non exclusive though...

NOBODY would give two first round picks for Kaepernick.

You are absolutely crazy in that line of thinking. The Bears and the DC football team have shown what a team is willing to give up for a franchise QB. Kap has proven to be better than both.

rideaducati

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":u6dgrj6l said:
rideaducati":u6dgrj6l said:
Marvin49":u6dgrj6l said:
MizzouHawkGal":u6dgrj6l said:

You are absolutely crazy in that line of thinking. The Bears and the DC football team have shown what a team is willing to give up for a franchise QB. Kap has proven to be better than both.

"Proven"? I don't think so. Kaep has a long way to go before anything besides he can run fast is "proven". He doesn't make it to second reads more than once or twice per game. He throws a very flat ball and has the touch of a bull in a china shop. He is NOT very accurate and has been bailed out MANY times by his receivers. Davis, Crabtree and Boldin help him A LOT more than he helps them.

Subzero717

Reaction score
rideaducati":2ae47dpf said:
CALIHAWK1":2ae47dpf said:
rideaducati":2ae47dpf said:
Marvin49":2ae47dpf said:
MizzouHawkGal said:

"Proven"? I don't think so. Kaep has a long way to go before anything besides he can run fast is "proven". He doesn't make it to second reads more than once or twice per game. He throws a very flat ball and has the touch of a bull in a china shop. He is NOT very accurate and has been bailed out MANY times by his receivers. Davis, Crabtree and Boldin help him A LOT more than he helps them.

Reread my post. He has proven to be better than Cutler and Bob Grif is what I said. Not to mention your homerism is clouding your opinion. Is he Montana? No, but I never said that did I?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Kaep has not proven to be better than Cutler or Bob III. Both Washington and Chicago are under new management, so I think the stupid moves from these teams are a thing of the past. You may think Kaep has "proven" a lot more than I believe he has. A team would regret giving up two first round picks for Kaep is probably what I should have said, but I still believe that there isn't a team dumb enough to pull the trigger on it...unless they hire Jaworski as their new GM.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Kaep has shredded GB twice and 3-0 IIRC. Cutler is 1-9. I dont know what else you want. Your hate is blinding you.

mikeak

Reaction score
rideaducati":k78ct3ha said:
Kaep has not proven to be better than Cutler or Bob III. Both Washington and Chicago are under new management, so I think the stupid moves from these teams are a thing of the past. You may think Kaep has "proven" a lot more than I believe he has. A team would regret giving up two first round picks for Kaep is probably what I should have said, but I still believe that there isn't a team dumb enough to pull the trigger on it...unless they hire Jaworski as their new GM.

Would you give 2 first round picks for a guy that takes you from not-competitor to making the playoffs?

I am not talking winning the superbowl but if you are the Browns and you really thought 2 first round picks made you instantly making the playoffs then wouldn't you give it up?

Now lets keep going with the Browns - do you think Kaep would be good enough with those receivers to get them to be a playoff contender instead of one of the worst teams? And they also got a 1st rounder for their RB trade to Indy.....

Cheap price IMHO

Now if you are Carolina and you already have a qb that takes you to the playoff even if you don't win it all then no I don't spend two first round picks on something that isn't my weakness.

What is interesting is - does Cincinnati spend them? A playoff team that doesn't do more than just that.