JS: "Role hasn't changed" with Pete out

RiverDog

Reaction score
I think the point is that it's likely Jon is just being professional and not showing his cards for the draft. Because if Jon was part of the issue, then Jody would have fired him too. But she didn't.
I don't think that we can make the assumption that Jody or anyone else not named Pete Carroll or John Schneider knew exactly who was and wasn't "part of the issue."

As the man at the top of the pyramid, Pete is the one who had to accept the responsibility for what had become a franchise mired in mediocrity. It's only fair that Pete and not JS got the axe as Pete's the one who insisted on being in charge of everything. Whether Pete made 99% of the decisions or 1%, it was his team, not JS's.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think the point is that it's likely Jon is just being professional and not showing his cards for the draft. Because if Jon was part of the issue, then Jody would have fired him too. But she didn't.
Bold to assume the Jody Allen even has a real grasp on what the issues are, considering her and Kolde's handling of the Blazers.

This is what we need to avoid at all costs. Jody thinking she knows the issues better than real football people.

Hawknight

Reaction score
John is now president of football operations. His role has literally changed.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or brought up at all, but anyone know if Pete had actually accepted the "advisor" role? Or was that the organization just blowing smoke up our arse?

Last edited:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Schneider also said that he could tell by Pete's actions and mannerisms that he didn't like a prospective trade/draft pick/signing, so John would avoid that altogether.

In other words, rather than try to push something through that he knew wouldn't fly, and redirected his efforts.

Despite what's said, I still firmly believe that Pete allowed Assistant Coaches to make decisions on early draft picks that cost us. Like James Carpenter, Germaine Ifedi, Dee Eskeridge. Etc.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pete set the overall direction, of what shiny objects to pursue. Schneider did his best to serve and support Pete within those stated directions. I'd surmise Pete is responsible for the Harvin and Adams trades. The Unger-Jimmy Graham trade, now that's a head-scratcher. OK, probably Pete, from the "shiny object syndrome" point of view, and then Pete telling his OC to use the new weapon.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or brought up at all, but anyone know if Pete had actually accepted the "advisor" role? Or was that the organization just blowing smoke up our arse?
I'm not sure if he has a choice. He's under contract to perform a service, and unless he wants to forgo the money he's owed, he pretty much as to do what they tell him to. I suppose it would depend on how broadly his contract was written, but I can see a scenario where he'd have to empty the waste cans and make coffee for the meetings if that's what Jody told him to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Schneider also said that he could tell by Pete's actions and mannerisms that he didn't like a prospective trade/draft pick/signing, so John would avoid that altogether.

In other words, rather than try to push something through that he knew wouldn't fly, and redirected his efforts.

Despite what's said, I still firmly believe that Pete allowed Assistant Coaches to make decisions on early draft picks that cost us. Like James Carpenter, Germaine Ifedi, Dee Eskeridge. Etc.
I'm sure that's true that the player acquisition was tailored at times to the assistant coaches who had more latitude like Cable, but at the same time, what kind of shitty GM wouldn't tailor his choices to his coaches?

Ifedi and Carpenter weren't awful choices, either. Ifedi was a physical specimen routinely mocked to the late first (bad result, but not the worst process) and James Carpenter ended up having a better-than-average career for a late first rounder, as he was an above-average guard for a significant stretch of his career (more questionable process, but a better result).

RiverDog

Reaction score
Bold to assume the Jody Allen even has a real grasp on what the issues are, considering her and Kolde's handling of the Blazers.

This is what we need to avoid at all costs. Jody thinking she knows the issues better than real football people.
So far, I'm good with Jody's decision making. Prior to Pete's firing, widespread speculation, including from myself, was that she didn't have the balls (literally) to fire Pete. She obviously has some pretty savvy advisors that she's been relying on.

I would much rather have a silent owner who is a bit mysterious and stays in the background than one who is constantly in the limelight and meddling with the team ala Ken Behring. That was what I liked so much about Paul Allen.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Letting go of the icon had to be a pretty hard decision, there were/are tens-of-thousands of folks who had their heartstrings tied to Pete's contagious energy, so it was obviously "smoke".
I've come to accept that changes were coming/needed but it's still going to take some time to get over the melancholy.
I think that Jodi & Co. were/are skookum enough to realize that they weren't/aren't smarter than the Football warlords at gridiron level, and that they needed to keep John to transition this mega reloading.
I think John deserves his chance to prove that he can still connect the wires.👍🤞

morgulon1

Reaction score

I don't think they're going to ask anyone on .net what to do . That's unfortunate because there are so many people on here that know better than everyone in the NFL .

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yeah he accepted. They're going to pay him the final year of his contract at 13MM ? They'll set him up with an office in the basement and he can re-live first and goal on the one yard line in Arizona
With a guy named Beastmode in his backfield .

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
So far, I'm good with Jody's decision making. Prior to Pete's firing, widespread speculation, including from myself, was that she didn't have the balls (literally) to fire Pete. She obviously has some pretty savvy advisors that she's been relying on.

I would much rather have a silent owner who is a bit mysterious and stays in the background than one who is constantly in the limelight and meddling with the team ala Ken Behring. That was what I liked so much about Paul Allen.
You mean you don't like "Jerruh Jones"?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Ifedi and Carpenter weren't awful choices, either. Ifedi was a physical specimen routinely mocked to the late first (bad result, but not the worst process) and James Carpenter ended up having a better-than-average career for a late first rounder, as he was an above-average guard for a significant stretch of his career (more questionable process, but a better result).
I was out on Ifedi, and Carpenter did have a good career, but he got lazy after being drafted, put on weight, and IIRC, broke his foot. He was a poor choice for this ball club I believe. He and Ifedi were physical specimens, but they didn't have it upstairs to begin with.

And too many trades of 1st rounders for "shiny objects," then paying them more than your homegrown talent. I don't remember Green Bay making such moves.

Personally, I think John Schnneider is saying all the right things to smooth the past over, and to keep everyone happy. It's the correct tactic to take. Shit stirring does no one any good in the real world.

flv2

Reaction score
John expanded on this a bit.

Basically taking the coaches preferences and specific schematic needs into consideration but claiming it hasn't really perceptibly changed the type the players they're looking to acquire.

This makes sense, because most of the NFL is looking for the same thing at any given them as John touches on.

If he had said there were significant differences he'd be asked what the differences were, and that would be awkward.

chris98251

Reaction score
His role is expanded and yes it's not different, he is there to help the Coaches assemble players for their systems, now personalities, skill sets desired, other aspects that could be different. His player type that is a pull off the board may be different as well, Pete was a guy that wanted to help and give guys a chance. Not sure if John is that charitable.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
His role is expanded and yes it's not different, he is there to help the Coaches assemble players for their systems, now personalities, skill sets desired, other aspects that could be different. His player type that is a pull off the board may be different as well, Pete was a guy that wanted to help and give guys a chance. Not sure if John is that charitable.
Reeks a little of “I will believe what JS says so long as it comports with what I believe“

How about just believing him?

chris98251

Reaction score
Reeks a little of “I will believe what JS says so long as it comports with what I believe“

How about just believing him?

Because he is Executive Management, they make a living off saying a lot of words and saying nothing of substance, this is also about the Draft, a time of year where teams spew a lot of innuendos and flat out lie to set people off the scent of what they are doing. Third he is smart and won't say anything that can be thrown back at a later time. The politics of this country filter down, few want to be accountable or responsible for anything they do or say, so many times they speak a lot of words and say nothing.

Savvy?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Because he is Executive Management, they make a living off saying a lot of words and saying nothing of substance, this is also about the Draft, a time of year where teams spew a lot of innuendos and flat out lie to set people off the scent of what they are doing. Third he is smart and won't say anything that can be thrown back at a later time. The politics of this country filter down, few want to be accountable or responsible for anything they do or say, so many times they speak a lot of words and say nothing.

Savvy?
This.

Like I said, you have to take what any of these guys say, especially this time of year, with a grain of salt. Maybe they're being honest and sincere, maybe they aren't.

Besides, what difference does it make? So what if John's role has or hasn't changed? What does it have to do with the price of tea in China?

Latest posts