JS: "Role hasn't changed" with Pete out

toffee

Reaction score
The Pittsburgh game was the final nail in the coffin for Pete in my mind. I think Jody & her people came to the conclusion that it was no longer working under Pete. They needed to clean house & bring in a new coaching staff with a fresh perspective.

John is so well respected in the building & in league circles, that they probably felt like he deserved to have his shot at running the show. That's the most logical explanation.
If Schneider was right in saying Pete rare contradicted his draft and FA decisions, then he should be part of our going members of the house cleaning.

CactusJack

Reaction score
This place has an over obsession with firing people.
He may be right. John obviously has had a huge hand in decision making. But John is still here. His fate will ultimately be determined in the next few years. I don't think Jody would hesitate to fire him if things turn out poorly.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
He may be right. John obviously has had a huge hand in decision making. But John is still here. His fate will ultimately be determined in the next few years. I don't think Jody would hesitate to fire him if things turn out poorly.
He's got his chance to run the show. I'm going to sit back and watch how this new staff develops. Nabbing Macdonald and Grubb was a huge win and John deserves credit for that.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I think the point is that it's likely Jon is just being professional and not showing his cards for the draft. Because if Jon was part of the issue, then Jody would have fired him too. But she didn't.
Sure, but suggesting John should go as part of the house cleaning because of some draft picks or FA moves is a bit much.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Sure, but suggesting John should go as part of the house cleaning because of some draft picks or FA moves is a bit much.
I think fans take issue with how the roster has been constructed the last few years.

Prioritizing positions like Safety over trench play. Bringing in Jamal. Not putting more resources into the offensive line. Part of that is Pete obviously, but John isn't completely guilt free either.

How these next couple of years play out, will be huge for John. Can they ultimately get this roster back to competing with the top teams?

morgulon1

Reaction score
The Pittsburgh game was the final nail in the coffin for Pete in my mind. I think Jody & her people came to the conclusion that it was no longer working under Pete. They needed to clean house & bring in a new coaching staff with a fresh perspective.

John is so well respected in the building & in league circles, that they probably felt like he deserved to have his shot at running the show. That's the most logical explanation.
I think there's a lot of politically correct speech going on . John Schneider is not going to say " yeah Pete sucks , he made final decisions regarding personnel, draft,free agency etc."

The team was not constructed to win.
Pete was trying his outdated scheme with players not named Chancellor, Thomas , Sherman and we all saw the sad result .

morgulon1

Reaction score
I think the point is that it's likely Jon is just being professional and not showing his cards for the draft. Because if Jon was part of the issue, then Jody would have fired him too. But she didn't.
That's what I was thinking. My guess is that at some point JS and PC drifted apart regarding philosophy. PC moved like he was just a player away when everyone else could see it was much worse than that. The offense line suffered , the once feared defense got picked apart weekly . The only games Seattle won was against poor to mediocre teams .

BASF

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of politically correct speech going on . John Schneider is not going to say " yeah Pete sucks , he made final decisions regarding personnel, draft,free agency etc."

The team was not constructed to win.
Pete was trying his outdated scheme with players not named Chancellor, Thomas , Sherman and we all saw the sad result .
The outdated scheme is used by the Niners to great success. Jets are also using it. The key is variations and talented players. The abomination from the past two seasons was directly on Carroll allowing Hurrt to do a mismash of Fangio's figured out scheme.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
John's role has been to figure out which player's match the Coaches needs for their system. That is no different with Mac. JS needs to know what our new HC wants in a player and go out and find those guys.

That's always been the GM's role. Bad GM's are the ones that think they know what the HC needs and draft without any proper input, demanding the coach "Make it work". That's where you see HC's getting fed up and demanding more control.

I think JS has always been able to work with the coaches to find the guys they like.

morgulon1

Reaction score
The outdated scheme is used by the Niners to great success. Jets are also using it. The key is variations and talented players. The abomination from the past two seasons was directly on Carroll allowing Hurrt to do a mismash of Fangio's figured out scheme.
I understand what you're saying . What ever PC was doing, wasn't effective.
I agree with you that he had the wrong personell and didn't appear to adjust.

Giving Clint hurtt a DC position probably is what cooked ol' Pete in the end.

Horrible hire .

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I was merely pointing out the logic behind what Schneider said, keep or fire is a decision for the ownership and they have decided to keep.
That's not how I read what you wrote.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Okay, so if this “knocks down” some narratives, it also reveals, that JS, has made some bad decisions himself but Carroll being coach, took more heat himself than JS did, and JS, should have taken a larger portion of the heat himself.

Two sides of a coin, right??

At this point, it doesn’t matter. What’s done is done.

JS will now have to make great decisions cause its his ship to steer now and we will see where he takes the Seahawks.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Okay, so if this “knocks down” some narratives, it also reveals, that JS, has made some bad decisions himself but Carroll being coach, took more heat himself than JS did, and JS, should have taken a larger portion of the heat himself.

JS will now have to make great decisions cause its his ship to steer now and we will see where he takes the Seahawks.
Shouldn't be much of a reveal. He's been the GM for 14 years.

morgulon1

Reaction score

If JS does right the ship and transforms this team , we'll then have our answer.

The only part I see differently is that PC was ultimately in charge , therefore he fell on his sword. He takes credit for the Superbowl (rightly so) and he pays the fiddler for a decade of teams that were downright mediocre.