John Clayton update on Clowney and Griffen

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Outside of Bobby and Diggs, Clowney was the best player we had on D. His presence will never be reflected in the stat sheets, but his ability to draw double coverage (and blow past them into the backfield), disrupt plays, and be constantly on the other team's mind is worth a lot. I hope we get him back, and I hope he wants to be here.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3p0mr5e1 said:
chrispy":3p0mr5e1 said:
I also think Clowney will end up taking into account the rest of the pass rush wherever he ends up.

He's only taking into account one thing and one thing only, money. If he cared about all these other things, he'd already have signed somewhere.

This is a business negotiation, of which John is VERY good at. He set Clowney's value after the season, gave Clowney and his agent our best offer during the combine, they didn't like it, we moved on, and now because the market isn't what Clowney thought it was, our offer is even lower.

That's good leverage negotiation. Give Schneider credit, he knows EXACTLY where every other team even remotely interested in Clowney's at.............and it isn't very high.

Because every team interested sees the same red flags we do, serious injury history and lack of sack/stats to warrant giving Clowney what he wants. You can absolutely love the man, love the player, love how he plays, love how he fits your locker room and scheme.............but not budge off all your concerns which set your max price.

I think Clowney has kind of backed himself into a corner. I'm not sure how he gets out of it. The new CBA screwed him a bit as teams' cap space shrank. Then he waited throughout free agency seeming to think his value would some how go up. But as teams make their plans and cap space around the league shrinks, his value only goes down.

It's almost like he is now in the position of being a QB waiting for an injury for a chance at a starting job to shine and he wants to get paid. But those two things don't go together. The QB coming in last minute doesn't get paid big bucks. They get the scraps that are left over and are given an opportunity to earn more in the future. The longer he waits, the more that tilts to the "just get the opportunity." But he has the opportunities now, so he doesn't gain anything by waiting. But he does watch those scraps get picked off by others.

morgulon1

Reaction score
northseahawk":1t3my154 said:
He was literally the only Defense on the bottom feeder defense.

We have some good players. Quandre Diggs,
Bobby Wagner, the Griffin bros, Dunbar, jordyn Brooks, those 2 rookie DE,

It would be nice to have the dude but he gets hurt a lot