It's Happened - Wilson Traded

LTH

Reaction score
John63":1iyv6jmk said:
LTH":1iyv6jmk said:
John63":1iyv6jmk said:
Hawknballs":1iyv6jmk said:
Let me stop you right there because by the time Russ signs a new deal with the Broncos next off-season i would say he will prob sign for something in the 56-58m per year range.

Compare this to Mahomes who is signed through 2031 because he and his organization actually have a plan and he wants to win as much as Russ says he does.

Mahomes will be a 59m cap hit in 2027, and over 50m in 2030/31, but every other year he's more around the 40 range.

It's both a team friendly deal, and one that guarantees Mahomes a lot of money. Barring a catastrophic injury to him, it's a win win for both sides.

Russ didn't wanna do this, at least not here.

Well, we don't know if Wilson was willing to do that here or not. For all we know it was never offered, for all, we know he wanted to but PC did not as we also know they were looking at other Qbs as far back as 2015. For all, we know that is also a reason for this.

The point is we don't know people will assume what they want based on their feeling about PC and Wilson.

and that's why we need to know the truth

LTH

I agree but the question is will we ever know the truth? Let's say Wilson comes out and says the truth. some will still not believe it. IF PC comes out and says the truth some will still not believe it. The reality is as much as I would love to know the truth I am not sure I would believe what either says as the gospel truth. More like the truth in their eyes with their spin.

Seems to be the way of the world these days and it's sad...the truth should not be subjective

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm not going to sugarcoat it ..I loved the trade,I actually got a hard on when I
heard of it :lol:
Mr.Limited is the Broncos problem now..The brand,drama and lack of quite a bit
I don't need to rehash all that because he's gone! :irishdrinkers: :2thumbs: :D
The trade was good..He only wanted to sign off on a Broncos trade so there
wasn't going to be a bigger haul from anyone else.
so we got the picks/players for a 3rd rounder who's past his prime among other
things so who is getting fleeced?Ha Ha and Russ just might get that $50 million
per extension too!Trust me we made out like a bandit.
This is one time I have to thank Erin..Might even hug him for it!

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1si6d30q said:
I'm not going to sugarcoat it ..I loved the trade,I actually got a hard on when I

ignoring the obvious false stuff. weather or not we made out or not remains to be seen.

TAB420

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3q8yl9jd said:
I think he gets more than 50 mil per year. Russ holds all the leverage and the Broncos are not going to be the team who gave up all that for a two year rental...advantage Russ.

LTH

Reaction score
jammerhawk":t7pw0bvf said:
Rob Statton of Seahwksdraftblog.com has summarized some sensible thoughts on the Wilson trade.

In the end some will heartily agree and others will vehemently disagree.

A link to this article which is worth reading can be found below:.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-russel ... ng-i-think

Lately Statton has been very critical of the team, yet this article is quite measured. Frankly I agree.

That was an interesting read... From my perspective You don't trade a hall of fame QB unless you have a plan... I think the Hawks have a plan of what they want to do...I just hope they don't go after Watson.. I would rather them draft a QB

My think is I want to know what happened between the Hawks and Wilson... I think I know but I'm so curious

LTH

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don’t know that we will ever know for sure what went wrong between Wilson and the team but the relationship has been rough ever since Wilson signed his present deal with the discord being quite public starting last offseason

It was clear Wilson wanted out, or to assess his options as he put it. Things must have arisen again this offseason or continued to simmer from last season to reach a degree that something needed to be done for both sides. We see the outcome.

Financially it is hard to say if RW was worth giving a Rodgers level contract to or if that would have been possible. Opposing teams had started to figure out how to frustrate him and Donald owned his lunch and was in his head. Time will tell if AFC -W D’s will own him like was frequently evident in the NFC-W.

Denver wants to play a more wide open O style than it seemed the Hawks were prepared to play Wilson wanted some of that action. The Broncos are for sale as part of the resolution of the Estate of the former owner. I wonder if maybe he will get his wish to become a part owner of that team fulfilling a goal of being an NFL owner.

Time will tell who won on this deal but in the short term things look happier for Denver than the Hawks but lots can happen quickly with personnel and Father Time is undefeated. I am not prepared to admit the trade wasn’t inevitable as the situation had deteriorated.

I am a fan of the team and while my favourite player was just traded the team has to be better now at rebuilding than it was with Wilson. This FO however found Wilson who was not universally highly considered yet Schneider wanted him badly enough to be wanting to trade up for him, which would have likely meant no Wagner. Schneider was also in GB when Rodgers was drafted. I have some confidence they will figure this out although it isn’t without some lingering concern I type that remark.

Time will tell.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2o0kg43q said:
I don’t know that we will ever know for sure what went wrong between Wilson and the team but the relationship has been rough ever since Wilson signed his present deal with the discord being quite public starting last offseason

This is not a unique situation with us, just about every elite level QB pushes their way out eventually, or their organization no longer feels their production is worth their pain in the ass and salary.

Brady
Favre
Manning
Montana

Even Rodgers had to be handed 50M to stay in GB, or he'd be elsewhere now too.

IMO Russell's greatest personality trait was what led to his demise here, his supreme confidence in himself and how he wants to be used.

I'll tell you one thing, all the Pete haters will get their wish right? We now get to see Russ cook and elevated to the amazing elite QB a LOT of people think was Pete holding him back.

Or will some of us be vindicated when we see Denver's offense look a LOT like Seattle's because Pete was indeed playing to Russ's strengths.

Interesting for sure.

massari

Reaction score
If the sources were correct, Wilson's main issue was the FO inability to bring in star talent and build a legit roster around him. How do you win with a trash OL, DL, and CB, mixed in with Carroll's predictability? Nobody would be happy in his position.

Rat

Reaction score
massari":xfrlv7uq said:
If the sources were correct, Wilson's main issue was the FO inability to bring in star talent and build a legit roster around him. How do you win with a trash OL, DL, and CB, mixed in with Carroll's predictability?

Don't forget the disproportionate amount one player was taking from our salary cap.

massari

Reaction score
Rat":2w2rwhos said:
massari":2w2rwhos said:
If the sources were correct, Wilson's main issue was the FO inability to bring in star talent and build a legit roster around him. How do you win with a trash OL, DL, and CB, mixed in with Carroll's predictability?

Don't forget the disproportionate amount one player was taking from our salary cap.
You mean like the Rams last season, who had a $45M invested towards Stafford and Goff?

The Seahawks not spending money and draft capital wisely building around Wilson was the problem.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3ambuo13 said:
Rob Statton of Seahwksdraftblog.com has summarized some sensible thoughts on the Wilson trade.

In the end some will heartily agree and others will vehemently disagree.

A link to this article which is worth reading can be found below:.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-russel ... ng-i-think

Lately Statton has been very critical of the team, yet this article is quite measured. Frankly I agree.

Excellent writeup!
There is no bad guy here; Both Pete & Russ have legit strengths & both have their weaknesses, and neither belong on a pedestal.
At the end of the day, Pete has to factor in the $alary Cap & the ridicules portion of that allotted money that Quarterbacks are demanding around the League as that hampers what he's able to throw at keeping the Seahawks competitive, so I believe in cutting him SOME slack there...the Jamal Adams gig though?, umm yeah, not so much.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
massari":fwcjs0ya said:
[
You mean like the Rams last season, who had a $45M invested towards Stafford and Goff?

The Seahawks not spending money and draft capital wisely building around Wilson was the problem.

The Seahawks could have mortgaged the future to build a one-run team, like the Rams, but they don't want to end up in the cap hell that the Rams and Packers will soon be in.

Show me the teams that have paid their QBs, and THEN built a succesful roster around him. I can only think of one, KC, and that is because they went outside the box in signing Mahomes to a long contract that protected both parties.

In most cases success has come from building the rest of the roster first, then adding the final QB piece, either through FA, leading to a short run, or through drafting a stud QB, leading to a longer run.

Even then, if the QB hasn't taken a team friendly deal, success has been rare and fleeting.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":3pt24vui said:
Rat":3pt24vui said:
massari":3pt24vui said:

Before this year no team has won a SB with a QB taking up more than 13% of his team's cap space.

So let's see if this was an aberration, or if the Rams (or someone else like the Packers) can repeat and continue to prove the norm wrong.

It's not hard to see that it's VERY difficult to win when one player, even one player as good and as important as a QB soaking up 20%+ of your cap space.

You have to hit on a VERY high number of picks, as well as get lucky with free agents and health, etc.

We certainly haven't done any of this, thus no playoffs or getting bounced in the 1st round of playoffs.

OKHawksfan

Reaction score
Northhawk":51rvvc3m said:
Pete and John have had 9 years to evolve the team around Russ and failed to do so in a way that gets the team back to SB.

Have they failed? Or are their inherent limitations to RW's game? Not necessarily a defense of Pete and John, but is the play calling a direct result of limitations they see in Russ's execution? I see lots of people assuming that "letting Russ cook" was the way to go and Pete was holding him back. But when you consistently see a QB that holds the ball too long, misses the short and intermediate open receivers while constantly looking for the long ball, and has trouble knowing when to throw the ball away, perhaps the reigns were on for a reason. The best success in the Pete/Russ partnership was not turning control over to Russ. Further, we saw hints of what Waldron's play calling could be. I doubt Pete brings him in with the idea he would not be allowed to run the offense he was hired for. I suspect that Russ either couldn't or wouldn't run it. I further suspect that Russ will still be one of the most sacked QBs even in Denver.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
FloridaSeahawk18":3g6gq1qk said:
UK_Seahawk":3g6gq1qk said:
The third is Noah Fant

Dude's a stud TE at least and probably has chemistry with Lock.

I guess he could but I've read Lock was benched in favor of Teddy Bridgewater so maybe not so much?

Elemas

Reaction score
Let Lock be the captain of this tank. Tank. The definitive word here: Tank. Drive that 3-14 tank. Drive it straight to Az, bring your clothes,tank and go home.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I was always 100% on the play-calling and o-line until things started going off the rails in the 2nd half of 2022. I started noticing holding the ball, and not taking underneath stuff when it was there etc. Remember that play in LA where Russ had all kinds of room to run and inexplicably threw into coverage across his body and got picked? That stunned me. I could not recall seeing him make a mental mistake like that.

Definitely lots of blame on managements side that caused this but I don't see Russ as blameless. I find the stories that the Hawks had interest in guys like Mahomes and Allen in their draft year fascinating. As a fan even entertaining the idea of looking at a QB would have been ridiculous. What was going on even then for that to even be a consideration?