It's Happened - Wilson Traded

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
It's a business. Sorry to see him go, but if they can draft well and get a lot for him, it's not a bad move to be honest. Big ifs though. He's not worth 50 million (or 40). Not after his collapse against the Lambs in the playoffs and a subpar 2021...

johnnyfever

Reaction score
At first, I wasn't happy, but after you break it down, it was the smart move. Here is why I think that:

---We were not going to pay Russ 50M per year after this season. That means we lose him within 2 years anyway. At least this way, we get value.

---if Carroll or Schneider do suck and russ has been saving them the whole time, or if russ is the one causing sacks and lack of short field offense, we will know that in max two years, maybe 1. This will make it easier for ownership to make management decisions.

---We won a superbowl in part because we didn't have to pay franchise QB money. If the management can put together a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense, we should have a better overall shot.

---It gives us the ability to tailor manpower to an offensive scheme. The Waldron type of offense isn't really a massive deep ball type of an offense. It played to russ's weaknesses, and Waldron was unable to adapt to russ's strengths. We had to make a choice.

We were going to field the same mess we saw this year again unless we changed some major pieces. We still might, and probably will be mediocre, but I'm thinking at worst just barely under .500 this year. It might take a couple years, but I'm actually coming around and even excited to finally find out whether the seahawks relative success (record wise and consistency) was Pete or russ. While I am a russ fan, the hawks are for sure first, so I will be rooting for Denver losses for sure.

Hopefully this doesn't go complete garbage fire for the hawks and we return to the bad old days.

hawks85

Reaction score
FalconsFanNW":1ewh6zgc said:
UK_Seahawk":1ewh6zgc said:
I actually feel pretty good about this. Used to love Wilson but recently the guy has been insufferable.

If nothing else it ends this Ross and Rachel, will they won't they, trade shenanigans that poison every off season.

You should feel good about it.

As one of the only non-homers who posts on this board I'll say it once again... Wilson wasn't the reason ya'll should have won 2 SBs in a row... it was the D.

Since the D imploded have the Hawks even sniffed the NFCCG? Don't think so.

Grats on the king's ransom... I'd be all over it.

BINGO!!!! I've been saying this for awhile. Wilson isn't as good as people make him out to be.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2dhnotq9 said:
HawkRiderFan":2dhnotq9 said:
After initially reading "major haul" coming to the Hawks I am underwhelmed with the final package.

It's a legitimate haul, that's a lot of picks and two very good players.

That's not the worry. The worry is do we now trust Pete and John to rebuild a SB contender with the picks and players?

This is the part that I worry about.
This. Franchise QB’s don’t grow on trees, but we were not winning a Super Bowl with Russ’ declining skills and the way this team is coached and ran with Russ. I know they are not done dealing yet, but I hope they step up and hit on their picks/trades.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm so happy the drama, that feeling of limbo, is over.

Also: don't discount the fact that other, massive moves are coming. Another trade or two and cutting Bobby shouldn't surprise anyone.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Wilson is 34 in November, he isn't as mobile and he's lost some of that escapability which was always his x factor.

Time will tell but I feel excited about the Seahawks for the first time in a long while.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
WarHawks":1ii16qrf said:
Wow. The negativity here is off the charts! Unbelievable. :pukeface:

I for one and stoked about this. We saw the Bengals turn their team around in a year, and there is no reason we can't do the same thing here. They will get their qb of the future in the next year or two, and then it will be another fun ride watching us climb the hill to the promised land. I would rather have that than another year or two of yelling at Russ to throw the ball, and being frustrated because we couldn't go anywhere in the playoffs. Buckle up boys and girls. For you Aldus Huxley fans, it's a Brave New World out there. Creativity and Imagination will rule the day, not negativity and cynicism. The possibilities are exciting once again. Now I'm super stoked for the draft and all the moves they're going to make, like they used to. Enjoy the ride! :2thumbs:

The Bengals?! Do you realize how many years they have been irrelevant before they “turned it around in a year “? That’s a long damn time for a quick year turnaround!!

Rat

Reaction score
WarHawks":3jy10npu said:

I for one and stoked about this. We saw the Bengals turn their team around in a year, and there is no reason we can't do the same thing here. They will get their qb of the future in the next year or two, and then it will be another fun ride watching us climb the hill to the promised land.

I'm fine with moving Russ, but I wouldn't use the Bengals as a comparison. They had the first pick of the draft when a generational QB came out, and their next pick was another top-5 where they really couldn't go wrong with Ja'Marr Chase or Penei Sewell. I don't see our picks being THAT high.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
WarHawks":5okrybm0 said:

I for one and stoked about this. We saw the Bengals turn their team around in a year, and there is no reason we can't do the same thing here. They will get their qb of the future in the next year or two, and then it will be another fun ride watching us climb the hill to the promised land. I would rather have that than another year or two of yelling at Russ to throw the ball, and being frustrated because we couldn't go anywhere in the playoffs. Buckle up boys and girls. For you Aldus Huxley fans, it's a Brave New World out there. Creativity and Imagination will rule the day, not negativity and cynicism. The possibilities are exciting once again. Now I'm super stoked for the draft and all the moves they're going to make, like they used to. Enjoy the ride! :2thumbs:

Now that the shock has worn off, this is pretty much where I'm at.

We lived through 2-14 seasons and moving vans taking our team to California. This isn't a blip on the radar for a grizzled tortured Hawk fan.

The end of the Russell Wilson era is sad, but I'm excited to see what Pete and John can do now.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
massari":29k1rsek said:
So for Russell Wilson they got Blitz Boy ($17.5M APY) + 2 2nds + Fant + Lock + 31 year old Shelby Harris

Why did you have to put it that way?? So much more discouraging.

Boycie

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1qutkhvs said:
Couldn't agree more Largent. My trust level with these guys in the 1st round is at about 5 percent.
On paper, it's a decent trade. But these guys make me VERY nervous.

Surely they can't screw up #9 overall, or can they....?

keasley45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3w11nbqw said:
WarHawks":3w11nbqw said:

Now that the shock has worn off, this is pretty much where I'm at.

We lived through 2-14 seasons and moving vans taking our team to California. This isn't a blip on the radar for a grizzled tortured Hawk fan.

The end of the Russell Wilson era is sad, but I'm excited to see what Pete and John can do now.

Exactly. And the obvious fact is that the FO didn't see the same upside in keeping RW to play the game the way he does and for the money it would take to make him happy in the end ( wondering if the Donkeys re-up him for insane money before the season). It's been said now for going on three years that they don't see Russ the same way that Russ sees himself. And that's not to push the hate button, but it should at least signal that the team went into this eyes wide-open and isn't just selling the farm for a rebuild. They see themselves as potentially being better long term with someone other than russel running things. We will see what they do from here.

The thing I'll say is that I think we've seen Russ's best years here in Seattle. And I'm thankful he was here .

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":29wkv5tb said:
SoulfishHawk":29wkv5tb said:
Couldn't agree more Largent. My trust level with these guys in the 1st round is at about 5 percent.
On paper, it's a decent trade. But these guys make me VERY nervous.

Surely they can't screw up #9 overall, or can they....?

Pete and John for as much as we're nervous about trusting them, they have foresight.

So my guess is there's already player(s) they've targeted when they were reviewing trade offers, including Denver's pick.

But also knowing how fond John and Pete are of trading down, their target player is probably in the teens somewhere, so they know they can turn the #9 into another late 1st or early 2nd pick, AND get whatever players they're targeting.

Bad year for QB's, so highly doubtful it's a QB. But this draft is deep in great D and O lineman.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3hdvsafg said:
HawkRiderFan":3hdvsafg said:
After initially reading "major haul" coming to the Hawks I am underwhelmed with the final package.

Perhaps Wilson isnt viewed league wide the way you many here view him.

I'm sure they turned down all kinds of richer offers just 'cuz

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":6o9m5t9j said:
Hawkpower":6o9m5t9j said:
HawkRiderFan":6o9m5t9j said:

Perhaps Wilson isnt viewed league wide the way you many here view him.

I'm sure they turned down all kinds of richer offers just 'cuz

It could have been eight 1st rounders and fans would still complain. OMG WHY NOT 9 FIRE PETE!!

Bottom line, the trade is a good trade, and should give the FO everything they need to rebuild a winner. If they don't? It's on Pete and John, not the trade.

James in PA

Reaction score
Niners fans are probably happy. The Rams, however, are sad to see Russ go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk