Is there a realistic chance MLB ever gets a salary cap (and hopefully floor)?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I know they tried it in the 90s until the players had a strike but is there a realistic chance the league ever tries again?

Having no salary cap is like starting a game of monopoly and instead of giving out equal cash to every player, you just say "Everyone bring your own money to the game and spend however much you want" It just makes the competitive balance a joke.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Hope not. Spending doesn't always equate to winning anyway it's an old argument. Dodgers and Yankees combined have just 2 World Series titles since 2001.
Salary cap dummies want MLB to be like the NBA and NFL. No thanks.

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Hope not. Spending doesn't always equate to winning anyway it's an old argument. Dodgers and Yankees combined have just 2 World Series titles since 2001.
Salary cap dummies want MLB to be like the NBA and NFL. No thanks.

There is a strong correlation between spending and winning. This really isnt refutable. Obviously it will not be 100% alligned.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Does it matter? M's would still be at the bottomof the spending CAP

sutz

Reaction score
Doubtful. One major impediment is that MLB doesn't have national TV coverage of all games like the NFL does. There's not a lot of shared revenue for it to work. Now that all the regional TV stations are bailing on the teams, maybe something will get done, but I doubt it. The viewing public won't support games every day of the week.

Threedee

Reaction score
My trivia question about the strike is:

Q: Who won the 1994 World Series?
A: The NFL and NASCAR.