Is Jimmy Graham already getting restless?

seahawks08

Reaction score
Popeyejones":499czqd0 said:
If Graham was expecting to come to Seattle and get as many targets as he got in N.O. (not that he had a choice in coming), well, he's an idiot. His comments about not being used to finding space off-script is, while also obvious, more troubling.

Said it before, but trading for Graham and hoping he'll develop skills he hasn't shown before (e.g. blocking, turning into a Tate-like backyard baller) just doesn't make a lick of sense.

While it may continue to be a problem, upcoming wins will likely patch over these holes, at least in the short-term.

I don't think the coaches had a vision for him to be a Golden Tate in Seattle. Pete wanted a high target, highly visible tall player with great ball skills. Pete also wanted to support RWs growth where he can deliver balls more confidently and comfortably to players of that size rather look in between people's shoulders for an average size receiver. That I think was the reason to get him as a play maker where defenses have to game plan for him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Popeyejones":35h4q6wy said:
If Graham was expecting to come to Seattle and get as many targets as he got in N.O. (not that he had a choice in coming), well, he's an idiot. His comments about not being used to finding space off-script is, while also obvious, more troubling. .

10-12 targets a game, sure, that's going to be a little hard to hit unless the game has gone awry.

He was targeted TWICE.. one of which was a hot throw on an offsides penalty that Graham wasn't even ready for.

That is what is so unacceptable.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
McG":2a8dem5v said:
Well this thread went south fast.

RW and his relationship with Bevell, from all that I've read/seen is really good, a little too good for my liking. Even if you get past the "bad playcalling" then there is the fact that our OL scary average. I don't even think average is the right word for it, mediocre is probably the best fit. It is hard to stand in the pocket (with a 5'11" guy muchless) if you can't consistently create one. The reason Graham isn't getting the ball as much as everyone wants is simple, our OL is more than likely, not allowing our OC to call any plays that remotely stretch the field. Those usually only come about from RW running and creating time for his receivers to get down field or even open. The more experience Graham gets with RW and his tendencies will help him grab a few of those "broken plays", much like Baldwin and Kearse usually are part of. It's a work in progress, hopefully the offense can put it all together.

One has to assume that Russ, Pete and Bevell are watching game film with a stop watch evaluating the position of JG when Russ must get rid of the ball as the pass rush is upon him. If there is inadequate pass separation with JG and his defender, Russ is not going to "chance a pass"....that's just not his make-up. #1....they need more practice in order to let JG know the ball is coming his way in 2.2 seconds. As Pete explained in his Monday press conference, they are trying to get JG the ball.....trying very hard. I believe that you will see more passes toward JG this Sunday. I believe that the Offensive frustration of Seattle will be revealed this Sunday with a 30+ point explosion.

chris98251

Reaction score
Good OC's create mismatches to get their talent the ball and scheme to exploit a defense to use their best weapons, even if Graham was taken out of the offense by the defense our other WR's should be getting big yards and catches, this has not happened. You can't tell me that the Packers and the Rams can take away our run game and the passing game both with such great results and not look at how we plan against them. Thats the OC.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Anthony!":28eamszt said:
The problem you are forgetting is this is not a Wilson thing but a PC thing, remember low turnover, no chances. If your HC is telling you this you would not throw it unless they were wide open either and there in lies the problem.

God forbid he throw a pick or 2 this board will treat him like they do andrew luck

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except Wilson is throwing picks this year anyway, might as well get better yards from the passes he does complete by giving his receivers more chances to make plays.

The Outfield

Reaction score
First game he got plenty of action. I don't think he'd get very mad after one game of little to no action.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I was curious about how often he's accustomed to being targeted, and I'm now less concerned than I was about our use of Jimmy Graham.

He averaged 7.8 targets per game last season (most in a game 13, least in a game 2). With a tiny sample this year he's averaging 5 per game (8 and 2).

This can all be turned around without a lot of effort, or without needing to make a dramatic shift in philosophy.

rideaducati

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":12nogin4 said:
Anthony!":12nogin4 said:
The problem you are forgetting is this is not a Wilson thing but a PC thing, remember low turnover, no chances. If your HC is telling you this you would not throw it unless they were wide open either and there in lies the problem.

God forbid he throw a pick or 2 this board will treat him like they do andrew luck

When Tarvaris Jackson is your backup, you have a quadrillion mistakes to make before they bench you. Take some chances Russell! Except to Kearse.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1mo3gkm5 said:
Except Wilson is throwing picks this year anyway, might as well get better yards from the passes he does complete by giving his receivers more chances to make plays.

Both on short passes too. I could live with a pick on a intermediate-deep ball... then it almost serves like a punt.

He plays so conservative at times and thats what puts us behind the 8 ball. When he was running around, keeping it on the zone read, throwing it down the field.. the offense looked fine.

I get that the line is a mess, but he has to at least take a shot or two down field.. and why not to a 6-7 guy?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3r73jfk8 said:
Way too over reactionary after just 2 games.

It's completely foolish to be blaming the OC when JG was on the field for about 90 percent of the offensive snaps. Bevell can't throw the ball too.

Our offense is built to run the ball. We have to get the blocking to open up some holes and the Beast needs to find the gaps instead of turning into the pursuit.

Sunday's loss has two drives end with costly turnovers. A 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty was also a drive killer. This isn't the Seahawk way.

I am very confident we will still make a strong run and be at home for at least one playoff game.
You say our offense is built to run, we're not even doing that properly.

This is how you know something is wrong with this team.

Fans keep questioning coaches play calls.

What was once the strength of this team, the defense is looking lost and confused, jump off sides and giving up way more points than they usually do.

Marshawn is angry. Run is not working.

Passing the ball isn't working either.

I get it. Hey if our pass game isn't one of the best in the league. At least running the ball is.

But now it's not.

This team no longer has an offensive identity.

What are we a run team? We suck at that.

Are we a pass team? You see how we suck at that also?

A lot of 12s patience is running thin. You had better believe that.

We had better go on a long winning streak from this week on!!

-Very Frustrated Fan

rideaducati

Reaction score
Fire Bevell or let Russell call the plays. Russell is the one telling Bevell what will work anyway, just cut out the middle man.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1irz8hql said:
TwistedHusky":1irz8hql said:

Both on short passes too. I could live with a pick on a intermediate-deep ball... then it almost serves like a punt.

He plays so conservative at times and thats what puts us behind the 8 ball. When he was running around, keeping it on the zone read, throwing it down the field.. the offense looked fine.

I get that the line is a mess, but he has to at least take a shot or two down field.. and why not to a 6-7 guy?
BINGO!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't mind if Graham is vocal about targets.

Bu I will be surprised if our OC can actually get him what he should, when it really matters. After all, this is the guy who wants to turn him into blocker, and thought Lockett was only a kick returner. I watched 5 minutes of Lockett in college and knew he was so much more than a kick returner.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rideaducati":1cyijla5 said:
Fire Bevell or let Russell call the plays. Russell is the one telling Bevell what will work anyway, just cut out the middle man.
I'd be down with this. 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2j5mzlpz said:
I don't mind if Graham is vocal about targets.

Bu I will be surprised if our OC can actually get him what he should, when it really matters. After all, this is the guy who wants to turn him into blocker, and thought Lockett was only a kick returner. I watched 5 minutes of Lockett in college and knew he was so much more than a kick returner.
Your point about Lockett speaks volumes.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Personally, I think forcing all skill players to become willful blockers is a mandate from Cable, not Bevell. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know for a fact that Cable is the one who breaks down the tape on WR/TE blocking.