In depth 2018 cap breakdown INC contract extensions and FA's

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":ydnf3g1h said:
Instead of cutting Sherm, wouldn't he be of interest for a team to trade for him? Only 1 year left on a big dollar contract?
Even a mid rounder???
My guess is a team would take on that final year with a chance to resign him for a 4th or 5th round pick.

My apologies, I missed your post.

I agree, he'd easily be worth a mid to late round pick however as I understand it (and will look into) trades count differently against the cap. With that said, I think it's relating to signing bonus more than anything.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Great post! I know that took some time ;)

I agree with most of what you said but I personally would tweak a few things.

Let Jimmy walk and allocate funds elsewhere. (3rd round comp pick?)

Let PRich walk, some team will fall in love with his '17 tape and overpay. (4th round comp pick?)

Release either Sherm or Bennett. Sadly I think both of these guys best days are behind them, now it just comes down to money.

Resign Luke
Resign Sheldon
Resign McDougald

When we traded for Richardson I really thought JS was aiming for a comp pick in return this spring, but with the hot mess that Malik has become we need to resign him.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":jfoj0fhu said:
Great post! I know that took some time ;)

I agree with most of what you said but I personally would tweak a few things.

Let Jimmy walk and allocate funds elsewhere. (3rd round comp pick?)

Let PRich walk, some team will fall in love with his '17 tape and overpay. (4th round comp pick?)

Release either Sherm or Bennett. Sadly I think both of these guys best days are behind them, now it just comes down to money.

Resign Luke
Resign Sheldon
Resign McDougald

When we traded for Richardson I really thought JS was aiming for a comp pick in return this spring, but with the hot mess that Malik has become we need to resign him.

Interesting takes, thanks.

There's always going to be debates about who and who doesn't get another contract with the team.

The more I think about it the less I'd give LJ a second contract with the team, with that said I'd begrudge any more high draft capital being spent in that area.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot there was 2 Luke's, I was referring to Luke Willson :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1834svs1 said:
Sorry I forgot there was 2 Luke's, I was referring to Luke Willson :irishdrinkers:

Aha, gotcha!

He'd certainly be cheap, at least.

Be interesting to see what he could do with the same amount of reps as Jimmy gets currently.

I'd bet the yardage would be similar'ish but as we all know, Jimmy will earn an extension by what he does in the end zone. No way Willson can match that.

I'm firmly in the resign JG camp, that sort of production in the end zone is gold.

sdog1981

Reaction score
At this point I think Richarson is going to look for a mega payday and Brown will be looking for a mini payday. I think the team will be able to keep Brown but Richardson is going to want to cash out.

2_0_6

Reaction score
sdog1981":19nzxltp said:
At this point I think Richarson is going to look for a mega payday and Brown will be looking for a mini payday. I think the team will be able to keep Brown but Richardson is going to want to cash out.

Brown is under contract for one more year, although a extension is likely.

PRich is as good as gone IMHO