Is everyone already giving PC a pass for next season?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Call me a PC hater I dont care. I think the team went the absolute wring direction with PCs contract and picking PC over RW (despite RWs glaring flaws.)

We have wont 3 playoff games in 7 years. It is expected we will suck next year and thus be 3 win in 8 years.

PC is completely and totally responsible for the players and coaches and record of this team.

I understand how we have to "accept" him still coaching because there isn't jack crap we can do about it. I also understand the low level excitement of going into a season with a new QB that might succeed in many areas that RW has utterly failed. I also understand for the first time in years and years that PC's head wasn't totally up his ass for a draft and am reasonably happy with the draftthis year.

That said, when (if) we suck next year everyone is going to give him the "we don't have RW" excuse - one that I do NOT accept because PC was the REASON RW left. Then We get ANOTHER season of the washed up coach with a middling season and the apologist pool shrinking but becoming louder - protesting too much.

I don't see any playoff success in this teams future until PC leaves. It is the curse I wish on teams I hate. "May your team win just enough games that your mediocre coach doesn't get fired" That is where we are.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yes, he gets a pass because the front office will wait and see what he does with the draft capitol that was given in the Wilson trade.

The bar is set so low this season, that even being close to .500 will make PC look like a genius

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I don't know if I see a pass because "we don't have RW" exactly. I think the Wilson trade and rebuild widens Pete's window for sure. Expectations are naturally lowered in year 1, given the scenario. If we still suck in year 3 the window should be closing. I have mixed feelings; part of me thinks PC probably is washed, yet I'm strangely excited to see what he can put together.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yes, he gets a pass because the front office will wait and see what he does with the draft capitol that was given in the Wilson trade.

The bar is set so low this season, that even being close to .500 will make PC look like a genius
I was for canning Pete before the end of the regular season last year. However, my attitude changed somewhat after the draft as it seemed out of character from his previous drafts that featured early round reaches and trading down past good talent with the mindset that his system was so superior that he didn't need top of the class players to make is system work, that he could spin straw into gold. Has he been humbled? Has he turned a new leaf? Did the Russell Wilson divorce induce a "come to Jesus" moment for him?

I am not giving Pete a pass, but so long as he doesn't do something stupid, like trading a #1 or #2 for Mayfield or Jimmy G, which would indicate that he doesn't feel we're rebuilding, I'll approach the season with an open mind.

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
That said, when (if) we suck next year everyone is going to give him the "we don't have RW" excuse - one that I do NOT accept because PC was the REASON RW left.
Russell Wilson left because there are fewer and fewer people swallowing his excuses in Seattle. There are more and more people who question his decision making and the fact that he blames the system when he has shown year after year that the schemed open receivers are the system and he is unwilling to throw to them.

I have my problems with Carroll. I wanted him gone two seasons ago, but all of you Wilson apologists are getting tiresome. "We could have kept an aging slowing fifty million dollar (rumors are saying he actually wants to be the highest paid QB, so actually more) a year QB" is honestly getting sad. He was unwilling to expand his game. He has regressed as a passer and has been figured out. Every single person who watched the last Rams playoff game saw him crap the bed. So many swallowed his excuses because they want Wilson to succeed, even if it means failure for the franchise.

keasley45

Reaction score
Russell Wilson left because there are fewer and fewer people swallowing his excuses in Seattle. There are more and more people who question his decision making and the fact that he blames the system when he has shown year after year that the schemed open receivers are the system and he is unwilling to throw to them.

I have my problems with Carroll. I wanted him gone two seasons ago, but all of you Wilson apologists are getting tiresome. "We could have kept an aging slowing fifty million dollar (rumors are saying he actually wants to be the highest paid QB, so actually more) a year QB" is honestly getting sad. He was unwilling to expand his game. He has regressed as a passer and has been figured out. Every single person who watched the last Rams playoff game saw him crap the bed. So many swallowed his excuses because they want Wilson to succeed, even if it means failure for the franchise.
Exactly

keasley45

Reaction score
Call me a PC hater I dont care. I think the team went the absolute wring direction with PCs contract and picking PC over RW (despite RWs glaring flaws.)

We have wont 3 playoff games in 7 years. It is expected we will suck next year and thus be 3 win in 8 years.

PC is completely and totally responsible for the players and coaches and record of this team.

I understand how we have to "accept" him still coaching because there isn't jack crap we can do about it. I also understand the low level excitement of going into a season with a new QB that might succeed in many areas that RW has utterly failed. I also understand for the first time in years and years that PC's head wasn't totally up his ass for a draft and am reasonably happy with the draftthis year.

That said, when (if) we suck next year everyone is going to give him the "we don't have RW" excuse - one that I do NOT accept because PC was the REASON RW left. Then We get ANOTHER season of the washed up coach with a middling season and the apologist pool shrinking but becoming louder - protesting too much.

I don't see any playoff success in this teams future until PC leaves. It is the curse I wish on teams I hate. "May your team win just enough games that your mediocre coach doesn't get fired" That is where we are.

When we get back to the Superbowl again, it will be because the FO woke up, fixed the QB position and reset the offense to work the way it was designed to and not the way a one-off, uber, (sure, HOF) talented QB ran it to suit his very unique skill set. Pete extended his stay by finally doing what should have been done 3 years ago. If you call that a pass, thats fine, i guess.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The team doesn't have an owner. Their jobs are safe until May 2024.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Pete gets credit for building this team into a super bowl winner. He should also get full credit for not being able to keep it going because of many very poor personnel decisions. Because of poor drafts after stunningly good ones at the start. For horrific trades that sunk our ability to "win forever" as is his so called motto despite the fact he continually mortgaged the future severely time and again to win now. To make matters worse they did not work out at all.
He should not get a pass for this season at all. He is the head of the ship and this team is here because of his direction. No one should be excusing a terrible year from this team especially when he maintains they are not tanking and have spent millions on their two safeties and millions more to come on reciever.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A complete pass?

No. If the Hawks go 2-15, look like complete dog crap and it's obvious Pete's lost the locker room and coaching staff. I can see ownership pulling the plug.

But as a general question? Yes, I think Pete gets another 2-3 seasons to see if he and John can build another playoff contender. If you call that a "free pass" then so be it.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
I feel expectations are low this season because one draft doesn't fill all the holes in the roster, especially at QB. So season the young prospects and next season with 2 firsts and 2 seconds and abundant cap space finish filling the holes. So lets see what Pete does with the draft capitol from trading RW ( much of which is in 2023), so far I give Pete an A for what he has acquired.

JPatera76

Reaction score

Russ didn't want to be here, him or his camp already made it clear he wasnt going to sign another contract in Seattle.. soooooo what did you expect? Them to jettison their QB and Coach at the same time?

Also the "Call me a pete hate i dont care" No one gives a shit either. However the teams success isn't solely on PC its a team sport. He cant force Russell to play a way if russell doesn't want to, and that's what we saw.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'll flip your question back and say if the team wins 11+ games this year and makes the playoffs for the 10th time in 13 seasons despite trading away a HoF QB and everyone expecting the team to suck, does Pete get a forever pass to do what he wI don't know about a forever pass

I feel expectations are low this season because one draft doesn't fill all the holes in the roster, especially at QB. So season the young prospects and next season with 2 firsts and 2 seconds and abundant cap space finish filling the holes. So lets see what Pete does with the draft capitol from trading RW ( much of which is in 2023), so far I give Pete an A for what he has acquired.
Why do we have so many holes on the roster though? Is that not a direct reflection of Pete and John and their decisions? Why would they get a pass for that?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'll flip your question back and say if the team wins 11+ games this year and makes the playoffs for the 10th time in 13 seasons despite trading away a HoF QB and everyone expecting the team to suck, does Pete get a forever pass to do what he wants?
If Pete wins 11 games this year he deserves credit for it of course. I don't know about a forever pass just for winning 11 games though. Last time I checked that is not the goal.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Funny how it's Pete's fault when the team doesn't win, but it's only because of the players when they do win.

Everyone on a team shares some responsibility for their success and failures.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He doesn't get a pass. He just likely won't accomplish anything this season.

The only way you can get behind Pete doing anything with this team is that you believe he can find another great QB and reload (This likely won't happen, we still have to try)

But the die is cast.
So you can argue about it but all we can do is hope we can get a great QB. We don't have one now. So all we can do is cross our fingers that we get one.

So this season coming up - no rational reason to expect anything because there is little chance we will have one. We have to wait to see if we can get one, or wait until we realize we might need to reset the board and find someone that can.
We have to spin the wheel and see if it lands on a great QB. You spend the wheel during the draft. And, it might take a few spins of the wheel or you might have to see if you can lure a star over (another option)

Neither is there now or even realistic to expect now.

Last edited:

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Why do we have so many holes on the roster though? Is that not a direct reflection of Pete and John and their decisions? Why would they get a pass for that?
That's complicated, but I'll say that drafting late in rounds is simply a bad position to improve the roster. That's why teams like the Rams trade their firsts, that's why teams move back in the draft and try for quantity. It leads to reaching because all the premium positions have the cream taken all ready (QB, OL, pass rusher, shut down corner), that is why the Pats and Chief said screw it and went ahead and drafted a RB in the first round in the past. The NFL has purposely made it hard to maintain success through the draft. Once a team has success all the players want to be shown the MONEY. Paying a QB top money at the position makes it hard to keep good-great players at other positions. It's a catch 22, because you need a quality QB, but they command so much in salary that it's difficult to not end up with holes in your roster. I find it refreshing to break that catch 22 by trading your over priced, cap killing QB for a haul and getting back to building a solid all around roster once again.

flv2

Reaction score
I think Carroll will be gone unless the Seahawks win 10 or more games in 2022. I think Carroll is still HC partly because management didn't want a new HC to inherit the down season where salary cap is dumped and talent is lower before the additional picks kick in.

Carroll doesn't get a pass for the past due coaching changes or the resource wastage in player procurement. Basically the franchise has gotten stale. He's been given a Don Sula/Tom Landry last chance season to do the impossible and turn things around.