Is Anthony Richardson worth pick 5?

knownone

Reaction score
Richardson is not Josh Allen. Right now, his best comp is a less polished version of what Justin Fields was coming out with a better arm. Allen had issues with accuracy and decision-making, but he was firmly grounded in an NFL-style offense in college. If you read his scouting reports, teams were confident he understood coverages and NFL concepts but worried about his mechanics. Richardson has all of the issues Allen had with accuracy, mechanics, and decision-making without that fundamental knowledge. He seems like a good guy, but he's a one or two-year developmental prospect at a minimum unless we're committed to running a Ravens-style offense that prioritizes his running ability.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Richardson is not Josh Allen. Right now, his best comp is a less polished version of what Justin Fields was coming out with a better arm. Allen had issues with accuracy and decision-making, but he was firmly grounded in an NFL-style offense in college. If you read his scouting reports, teams were confident he understood coverages and NFL concepts but worried about his mechanics. Richardson has all of the issues Allen had with accuracy, mechanics, and decision-making without that fundamental knowledge. He seems like a good guy, but he's a one or two-year developmental prospect at a minimum unless we're committed to running a Ravens-style offense that prioritizes his running ability.
I watched him and got the same impression. You don’t draft a project with #5 pick in first round. That at #5 has to be a guy you see as a plug-and-play blue chipper.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I would be shocked if the Hawks took Richardson at 5. One of the main reasons Pete felt Mark Sanchez wasn’t ready for the NFL was Mark’s lack of starts. Pete had stats on it. I don’t recall the exact numbers, but it basically came down to QB’s who had fewer than X starts in college typically were not successful NFL QBs.

I can’t see Pete wanting to take the risk on a kid who has only started one year.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Reported today that many teams have Richardson as the #2 QB after Young right now. Interesting
That raises and interesting question. If Carter, Anderson, Young and Richardson have gone should we draft Stroud or Levis?

I think we have so many gaps in our defence we should trade down but I don't see the college game so would be interested if the thoughts of those that do.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Anyone else think this guy is Jake Locker 2.0? Almost the exact same QB in many ways.

Also, to go along with his inaccuracy, another major red flag to Richardson is the fact that he had a losing record this year. The only other guy I think whose been a 1st round QB draft who was coming off a losing season in the last 10 years at least was Mahomes, but that wasn't his fault. Texas Tech had the worst defense in Division 1 & even then Mahomes was one of the most accurate passers his final college season. Florida's D wasn't nearly as bad as Texas Tech's was, so you're just drafting on his athleticism but that's not in short supply in this draft among QBs. We might as well just wait & draft Hooker in the 2nd.

I just see it as a major flaw given the inaccuracies that he's not proven the ability to be a next level winner, something Locker also failed at in college.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I watched him and got the same impression. You don’t draft a project with #5 pick in first round. That at #5 has to be a guy you see as a plug-and-play blue chipper.

Tyree Wilson is a project. Myles Murphy is a project. Just saying...

Ozzy

Reaction score
Emory Hunt who I respect a ton as a scout has had Richardson as his #1 QB the whole year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
A lynch mob would form around Halas Hall, if Poles traded Fields.
The Bears fans around here see him for what he is..An exciting RB
playing the QB position who gets hurt running.
I don't think they will be as devastated as you might be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If Bryce Young falls to #5 would you want John & Pete to pull the trigger on him?
Wanted to start a poll but don't see how...?
I don't believe BY is 6', he looks 5'10", maybe 5'11". Of course they are going to list him a bit taller as the #1 pick. But hopefully they give his real measurement at the combine. Saw a picture of him standing next to Nick Saban who is 5'6", maybe 5'7" and Bryce looks 5'10". Sure two SB appearances & double digit win seasons were great (RW) but there were other factors and definitely was aftermath.

Mahomes 6'2"
Hurts 6'1"
Brees 6'
Tua T 6'1"
RW 5'10" (Do I really need to type the 5/8?)
Murray 5'10"

Personally I'm done with the sub 6' QB's, too many limitations.
Having said that the kid will probably become an all pro.
Just curious to opinions.

While I don't think Young will be there at 5, it's a great question.

My gut reaction is of course we should draft him, you can't pass up that kind of dynamic QB talent, and for as much as we're all done with Russ now? Dude was a top 5 QB in the league for a solid 10 years before he started showing signs of diminished return with his legs failing him.

That's a LONG run in the NFL, even for a QB.

So yes, I don't think I could pass up a QB with Young's savvy and skill set.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I would be shocked if the Hawks took Richardson at 5. One of the main reasons Pete felt Mark Sanchez wasn’t ready for the NFL was Mark’s lack of starts. Pete had stats on it. I don’t recall the exact numbers, but it basically came down to QB’s who had fewer than X starts in college typically were not successful NFL QBs.

I can’t see Pete wanting to take the risk on a kid who has only started one year.
Great post. Very insightful. Thanks.

James in PA

Reaction score
Reported today that many teams have Richardson as the #2 QB after Young right now. Interesting
During this time of year, you can tell teams are lying if their mouths are moving. I'm sure there are teams who would love to have Stroud fall to them. What better way to do that than create a lot of buzz surrounding other guys?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
During this time of year, you can tell teams are lying if their mouths are moving. I'm sure there are teams who would love to have Stroud fall to them. What better way to do that than create a lot of buzz surrounding other guys?

Daniel Jeremiah gives an annual press conferences. He discussed this very thought. He said he usually learns the truth by talking about QB prospects with non-qb needy teams.

He said there are multiple non-QB needy teams he's talked to that has AR as their #2 QB.

Rat

Reaction score
Not at 5, but with his tools, if they can get a good deal on a trade-up from 20, I wouldn't hate it.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Mel Kiper now has the Seahawks trading back to 9 and taking Richardson. The Panthers take Will Levis at 5.

Rat

Reaction score
Mel Kiper now has the Seahawks trading back to 9 and taking Richardson. The Panthers take Will Levis at 5.
That seems strange. If we were enamored enough with Richardson to take him at 9, I imagine we wouldn't not take him at 5, unless the Panthers offer something absolutely ridiculous. The QB position is too important to take that kind of gamble.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I’ve been impressed with his interviews. I hate to admit it, but I’ve changed my mind and I’d consider taking him at #5. He’s a project but his mindset seems solid, and for a QB that’s huge. He just seems cut from a different cloth.