Is Anthony Richardson worth pick 5?

sutz

Reaction score
The Seahawks are going to draft a DE. Richardson is a "boom or bust" candidate. Kiper is probably right that some QB-desperate team will take the gamble on him, but I hope it is not the Seahawks.
I'm with you, at least on DL if not DE first. My preference would be to sign Geno back for 2-3 years and grab a project QB on Day 2/3 of the draft. Wouldn't mind hanging on to Lock if he doesn't get starter money elsewhere.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I'm with you, at least on DL if not DE first. My preference would be to sign Geno back for 2-3 years and grab a project QB on Day 2/3 of the draft. Wouldn't mind hanging on to Lock if he doesn't get starter money elsewhere.
Yep, that is exactly how I see it. Let's see what is on the board in second round. I am not drafting one just for the sake of saying we got a QB.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd make a significant bet that four QBs go in the top 8.

And yes. Richardson is worth that pick.

This mythical "DE" people keep bringing up is every bit as risky. Will Anderson won't be there. There are serious question marks with the other prospects, and a few of them (McDonald and Wilson, namely) will need every bit as much time developing as Richardson will.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If we use our #5 pick on a QB, I sure hope that it's Stroud or Levis.

But if Kiper is right, the likelihood of Anderson and Carter being available at #5 improves. I'm really on the fence about Carter or Tyree Wilson at #5 but for different reasons.

Carter scares me. He doesn't seem to be dedicated to greatness. I'd hate to have another Malik McDowell type knucklehead on the team.

And #5 overall seems too high for Tyree Wilson... but maybe not.

James in PA

Reaction score
To me, it's very simple. If Carter and Anderson are both gone by the time we pick at 5, you take a QB if you think there are any left that have franchise QB potential. If John likes Richardson over Levis, I trust his judgment. The guy's highlights are insane. I hate how most mocks have us staying put and taking Wilson.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
To me, it's very simple. If Carter and Anderson are both gone by the time we pick at 5, you take a QB if you think there are any left that have franchise QB potential. If John likes Richardson over Levis, I trust his judgment. The guy's highlights are insane. I hate how most mocks have us staying put and taking Wilson.
You can hate it, but the Seahawks are going to draft whoever is the top DE on their board. They aren’t going to spend the #5 pick on a project QB with a TD/int ratio of 17/9 and a 54% completion percentage. No %%*ing way!

massari

Reaction score
To me, it's very simple. If Carter and Anderson are both gone by the time we pick at 5, you take a QB if you think there are any left that have franchise QB potential.
If they believe a QB still on the board has franchise potential, you don't think they'll pick the QB over Carter/Anderson regardless?

James in PA

Reaction score
You can hate it, but the Seahawks are going to draft whoever is the top DE on their board. They aren’t going to spend the #5 pick on a project QB with a TD/int ratio of 17/9 and a 54% completion percentage. No %%*ing way!
Or they could trade down if they think there's a drop off after Anderson or Carter and a guy like Wilson isn't worth #5 overall.

James in PA

Reaction score
If they believe a QB still on the board has franchise potential, you don't think they'll pick the QB over Carter/Anderson regardless?
Potential is the key word. They might view Anderson and Carter as being sure things.

massari

Reaction score
But they'll for sure pick Carter and his 6 sacks in three seasons.....

Richardson is similar to Josh Allen. Both have all the physical traits, and both with huge accuracy concerns coming out, and Schneider really liked Josh Allen and his 56% cmp.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Richardson seems like a younger version of Lamar Jackson to me. I can see both the good and bad side to that.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
too early to tell what's going to happen. we don't know what will happen with geno/free agency yet. we also don't know if pete or john are high on any of these qbs.

due to his freaky potential, a team might think anthony richardson is worth #5. it's just probably not the seahawks. i will say anthony richardson is atleast 2 years away from being a competent starter. and he's going to need in-game experience. so he doesn't fit into pete's 2023-2024 window. yet anthony richardson might still fit into john schneider's window, if you catch my drift.

also, if the seahawks don't want richardson or whatever other qb falls to #5, we could see a potential trade down to #8, #9, #11, or #13

for me- if our defense wasn't such a dire mess, i'd say go for it and draft him. the physical traits and potential are just too hard to ignore.

too many variables to be sure of anything at this point

NoGain

Reaction score
No idea what PC/JS will do. Like another poster already said, too many variables up in the air. I've been scared off by Carter's work ethic and will to be great. Bryce Young is the QB I feel most confident about having the necessary QB/IQ, skills, character, and decision making ability to be a success at the NFL level, but his size freaks me out. I don't feel nearly as confident about the other three top QB's in this way. Let's face it, the odds are at least two of them are not going to come close to meeting expectations/hopes, and I don't think Young is one of them.

As of this moment, if we resign Geno, I put Will Anderson at the top of my list, trade down for more draft capital second, and Bryce Young third, though I doubt he'll be there and he doesn't seem to be what JS would be looking for physically in a QB taken this high in the draft.

I'll probably change my mind tomorrow.

Last edited:

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
If AR’s physical profile comes in where expected AND his mental profile shows he’s football smart and still in learning mode…hell yes. To justify the risk he needs to tick every physical and intangibles box to balance the lack of demonstrated production.

The team would need to go in assuming he’s not a year one starter and build a development plan around it. If that means adding staff, designing specific packages to get him a few snaps, etc so be it. Finish baking the QB prospect cake and look to year two (he will still be only 23yrs old) as his true rookie year.

That said, at this point I’d take Stroud, Levis, and Young (assuming he’s 6’ and pushing 200#) if available, but AR could still present amazing value just at a higher risk.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
As for Richardson, people say he would fit Pete to a tee. Imagine a dual threat quarterback with weapons like DK, Lockett and Walker. Most teams would give their left nutt to have our receivers and tight end grouping. He could hit big here. And while I love me some Geno Smith, he just isn’t a dual threat in the likes of Richardson and would cost considerably more.