Is Anthony Richardson worth pick 5?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
At what spot on the board?

If you go the quick fix route of signing a middling QB and use draft/FA to improve the defense, odds are you’re out of range for a top talent.
I made my living beating the odds for awhile.
I expect Jalen Daniels to go high in 24, as a Heisman contender last year before his injury, and again this coming year. But we have over a year to worry about making the arrangements to get him. Use this year to set the table for success, then cap it off with getting the right guy. He IS the right guy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Even if Richardson is worth the 5th pick I don't see the Hawks taking him. One of two things will happen. Either the top 3 QBs go in the first 4 picks or they don't. If they do, Will Anderson and/or Jalen Carter will be available. Taking a risk on Anthony Richardson with Anderson and/or Carter available is nuts. If Anderson and Carter both go in the top 4 then one of the top three QBs (Young, Stroud, or Levis) will be available. I don't see the Hawks taking Richardson ahead of any of them. Personally, if Anderson and Carter are gone I hope the Hawks trade back.
While I would argue recent history tells us defensive lineman miss just as often as QB's in the top 5 I do think you're right overall. I can't imagine Richardson being the pick over Anderson or Carter if one is available. I think Staton said Schnieder deserves some faith and if he thinks Richardson is worth it and takes him we should trust his process and I tend to agree. If he passes on Levis, Stroud, Richardson etc for Carter then we should trust that too and while I want a QB because you may never be in the spot to take one again I trust him with this pick.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Remember when the Blazers passed on Kevin Durant, and Michael Jordan, because they wanted Greg Oden and Sam Bowie, college star big beefy guys who turned out to be all time busts?? I'm not saying AR is to Durant/MJ level, but he could be. He has the raw tools. He can run, he can throw, he has good pocket awareness, he has size and youth and crazy athleticism. He has all the things Mahomes has, except experience and accuracy, which will come.

If you see lightning in a bottle, and a guy who could potentially tilt the field like crazy, then sometimes you just have to pull the trigger based on future potential, not current need. Don't be the Blazers. Learn from history, don't repeat it. DL help can be had in free agency as well as the draft. Young, potential superstar qb's? Only in the draft. When you have a shot, you take the shot. This is no time for regrets. Just sayin'.
I equate Richardson as being the new Cam Newton.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
At 5? Probably not.

But if he's one of John's first round targets he can certainly use the #20 pick and one of the early 2nds to package to move up to 15 or wherever he thinks he needs to get to in order to draft Richardson.

Richardson's got insane tools, but he's raw and would need time behind Geno to learn. So no, I'm not really comfortable using the #5 on him. But #20 with a 2nd or 3rd rounder to move up to grab him? Sure.

WarHawks

Reaction score
At 5? Probably not.

But if he's one of John's first round targets he can certainly use the #20 pick and one of the early 2nds to package to move up to 15 or wherever he thinks he needs to get to in order to draft Richardson.

Richardson's got insane tools, but he's raw and would need time behind Geno to learn. So no, I'm not really comfortable using the #5 on him. But #20 with a 2nd or 3rd rounder to move up to grab him? Sure.
With at least eight teams needing qb's, I would not be at all surprised to see him go in the top 4. And as the previous CBS article suggested, he could go much higher after the combine. At 6' 4" and 232, the more I think about it, the Cam Newton comparison seems apt.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
With at least eight teams needing qb's, I would not be at all surprised to see him go in the top 4. And as the previous CBS article suggested, he could go much higher after the combine. At 6' 4" and 232, the more I think about it, the Cam Newton comparison seems apt.

A great combine would certainly bump his draft stock up.

But IMO he's still the #4 QB right now behind Stroud, Levis and Young. Does that mean picked at 15? 10? higher? Who knows. But you're right, the combo of a great combine and the fact that QB's are ALWAYS over valued could certainly vault Richardson into the top 10.

But if we're talking about us? No, I don't want the #5 used on him. It's too much of a gamble for a team that has urgent needs all over the defensive side of the ball that's in desperate need of playmakers that can make plays now, not in 2-3 years.

WarHawks

Reaction score
A great combine would certainly bump his draft stock up.

But IMO he's still the #4 QB right now behind Stroud, Levis and Young. Does that mean picked at 15? 10? higher? Who knows. But you're right, the combo of a great combine and the fact that QB's are ALWAYS over valued could certainly vault Richardson into the top 10.

But if we're talking about us? No, I don't want the #5 used on him. It's too much of a gamble for a team that has urgent needs all over the defensive side of the ball that's in desperate need of playmakers that can make plays now, not in 2-3 years.
I agree with all that, except that I doubt Richardson will make it past 10, and we likely won't be in this position again for a very long time. As I stated previously, DL help can be had in free agency and again in next year's draft. Young, potential star qb's on the rise? No. Is picking someone like Richardson at 5 a reach? Probably so. But in my [likely uninformed] opinion, it's now or never, unless they have their eye on someone like Hooker later on.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But in my [likely uninformed] opinion, it's now or never, unless they have their eye on someone like Hooker later on.

That's really the question isn't it.

Does Richardson possess the tangibles and intangibles over and above the next crop of raw talented QB's like Hooker, O'Connell and DTR to create that sense of urgency to take him at 5?

Idk. But I'm of the mindset in my limited knowledge of the top 20 picks to pick a defensive playmaker at 5, and then if we want to make a run at Richardson we have more than enough draft capital around pick 12-20 to move up to get him.

But knowing Schneider, he's more of a trade down in the 1st round guy, not a trade up guy. So again, idk.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
While I would argue recent history tells us defensive lineman miss just as often as QB's in the top 5 I do think you're right overall. I can't imagine Richardson being the pick over Anderson or Carter if one is available. I think Staton said Schnieder deserves some faith and if he thinks Richardson is worth it and takes him we should trust his process and I tend to agree. If he passes on Levis, Stroud, Richardson etc for Carter then we should trust that too and while I want a QB because you may never be in the spot to take one again I trust him with this pick.
I absolutely agree that Schnieder and his staff know MUCH more about this draft than I do. If Schnieder takes Richardson (or any of the other top QBs) ahead of Anderson and/or Carter then I would be surprised but not upset.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I absolutely agree that Schnieder and his staff know MUCH more about this draft than I do. If Schnieder takes Richardson (or any of the other top QBs) ahead of Anderson and/or Carter then I would be surprised but not upset.
I'm usually super critical of how they've drafted the past few years (last year was a home run though) but I still trust JS with quarterbacks for some reason and I think he will do well in the top 5 for sure. I'm stoked for this draft.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I really like Richardson and think he will e very good in 3 years, I would rather take Hendon Hooker if we're signing Geno, that way we can spend our top 3 or so picks on Defense/Blue chips.

Seahawker

Reaction score
I really like Richardson and think he will e very good in 3 years, I would rather take Hendon Hooker if we're signing Geno, that way we can spend our top 3 or so picks on Defense/Blue chips.
65 days until the draft but I'm starting to think if they want Hooker, they'll have to use pick #37 to get him, #52 will be too late.
This might be the best case for trading down a bit from #5, to garner another 2nd rounder & snag five picks in the 1st and 2nd.
Just my opinion, but I don't think we will miss out on a generational player by trading down but staying around the top 10.
I just don't see Carter, Anderson and Young as Cortez Kennedy, Lawrence Taylor & Joe Montana. Sometimes a draft class can get overhyped at the top and finding NFL caliber starters requires some digging & top notch scouting. A little luck and dumb azzes picking in front of you never hurts either.
Edited to say: The only way Richardson is worth the #5 pick is if another team gives us some nice picks to move up & get him.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
It's fun to guess, but the combine could dramatically shake things up. We could come out of this thing with Levis as the top rated QB. I saw a mock today that had Tyree Wilson going 3 to Arizona, Anderson falling to us at 5 (sweet) and Richardson falling to 18. Also, if the Bears fall in love with a QB and decide to move on from Fields, that will really make things interesting.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I'm usually super critical of how they've drafted the past few years (last year was a home run though) but I still trust JS with quarterbacks for some reason and I think he will do well in the top 5 for sure. I'm stoked for this draft.
I haven’t been this jacked up for a draft in a while. I’m leaning D line but a lot depends on free agency. If they pick up Payne and add a Will Anderson Jr in the draft they can focus on a quarterback

AgentDib

Reaction score
I like Richardson more than many others do.

People love to make Josh Allen comparisons with Will Levis, but that doesn't fit well. Levis had questionable teammates but he played for four full seasons in a pro style offense. Richardson, on the other hand, is two years younger and only started 13 games in his entire college career. What would Richardson look like with another two full years of starting QB experience? He might get to the place that Levis is currently at (or higher), so if we compare the two then if anything it should be surprising that Levis isn't even further ahead.

Whether he is worth pick #5 to me has to do with how much we give Geno. If we don't re-sign Geno, or only franchise tag him, then I'd rather go a QB who I'd feel comfortable playing much sooner.

massari

Reaction score
Gotta remember the Hawks never usually get the opportunity to draft a top QB prospect, so they have to take advantage if one is still on the board, especially because there isn't a can't miss type pass rusher à la Nick Bosa, Myles Garrett or even Quinnen Williams this year, and they certainly won't get a top 2 pick in 2024 to be able to draft one of the two top QB prospects Williams or Maye.

Would be fun putting Richardson in a Taysom Hill role for his rookie season

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It's fun to guess, but the combine could dramatically shake things up. We could come out of this thing with Levis as the top rated QB. I saw a mock today that had Tyree Wilson going 3 to Arizona, Anderson falling to us at 5 (sweet) and Richardson falling to 18. Also, if the Bears fall in love with a QB and decide to move on from Fields, that will really make things interesting.
No chance in hell the Bears are going to trade Fields.