Is Anthony Richardson worth pick 5?

rjdriver

Reaction score
If you look at
You can hate it, but the Seahawks are going to draft whoever is the top DE on their board. They aren’t going to spend the #5 pick on a project QB with a TD/int ratio of 17/9 and a 54% completion percentage. No %%*ing way!

You could be right, but you never know.

Let's look at three guys we know Schneider was high on previously and either did or expressed interest in drafting.

Russell Wilson had 25 picks his last two years at NC State and never had a completion % above 60.

Patrick Mahomes had 25 picks as well in his last two years at Texas Tech. In 2016, he threw a pick in six games in a row on his way to losing seven games.

Josh Allen has a completion rate of 56% and threw a ton of picks as well in his final two years.

If we take a stud DE, awesome. However, when I look at what guys that JS seems to like become in this league, I'd have no issue with us selecting a QB at 5 (or better yet...trade down and still get him).

massari

Reaction score
Young (assuming he’s 6’ and pushing 200#)
He's working on getting to the same weight Drew Brees played at. He's already proven he can take huge amounts of punishment even before he adds to his frame.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
If you look at

You could be right, but you never know.

Let's look at three guys we know Schneider was high on previously and either did or expressed interest in drafting.

Russell Wilson had 25 picks his last two years at NC State and never had a completion % above 60.

Patrick Mahomes had 25 picks as well in his last two years at Texas Tech. In 2016, he threw a pick in six games in a row on his way to losing seven games.

Josh Allen has a completion rate of 56% and threw a ton of picks as well in his final two years.

If we take a stud DE, awesome. However, when I look at what guys that JS seems to like become in this league, I'd have no issue with us selecting a QB at 5 (or better yet...trade down and still get him).
Wilson senior year 3,175 yards, TD/int ratio 33/4 and 73% completion percentage. JS drafted him in 3rd round, not #5 in first round.

The Seahawks are drafting a DE. If we could get Young or Stroud, I’m all-in, but not Richardson. Hawks have the resources to compete with the Colts for #1, but I don’t see it happening.

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
He's working on getting to the same weight Drew Brees played at. He's already proven he can take huge amounts of punishment even before he adds to his frame.

Levis was hit more than Young. Young sprained the AC joint in his right shoulder during a routine play against Arkansas Saban was asked about the injury and he wasn’t concerned because it’s happened before (red flag)

massari

Reaction score
Levis was hit more than Young. Young sprained the AC joint in his right shoulder during a routine play against Arkansas Saban was asked about the injury and he wasn’t concerned because it’s happened before (red flag)
You realize ac joint is a common injury, no?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

I’d be shocked if Young comes in at 210, 200 is probably a stretch.

The truth with Young is you‘re banking on the league continuing to protect the QBs and excepting the risk of injury is worth the talent.

For me the Mendoza line is 6’ 200# for him to be a top 5 pick. He’s a talented QB, but he’s not a lightning quick twitch guy so scheming around size limitations gets more complicated.

For reference: Murray is 5’10” @ 210#

Last edited:

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Stoke our defensive firebox and improve the OLine. The best fit for Seattle at QB will be on the board in '24.
At what spot on the board?

If you go the quick fix route of signing a middling QB and use draft/FA to improve the defense, odds are you’re out of range for a top talent.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I would have no problem drafting Richardson ( I used to be against it) after going back and rewatching game film his weaknesses can all be corrected by quality coaching ( IMO) the 2 comparisons are Mahomes and Allen as being wild child’s in college that were harnessed. Another comparison nobody brings up is Brett Favre who through his career still had his problems but was a star

If Schneider was willing to draft Allen ( according to rumor)when he came out Richardson is possible

GemCity

Reaction score
Carter, Young, Anderson, and Stroud….will not be available. We can leave them out of who is going #5.

massari

Reaction score
I would have no problem drafting Richardson ( I used to be against it) after going back and rewatching game film his weaknesses can all be corrected by quality coaching ( IMO) the 2 comparisons are Mahomes and Allen as being wild child’s in college that were harnessed. Another comparison nobody brings up is Brett Favre who through his career still had his problems but was a star

If Schneider was willing to draft Allen ( according to rumor)when he came out Richardson is possible
Lol bro don't lie, you didn't rewatch his game film, you rewatched "the QB school" YT channel and heard his weakness can all be corrected

James in PA

Reaction score

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Carter, Young, Anderson, and Stroud….will not be available. We can leave them out of who is going #5.
If somebody traded up to #3 to draft Levis, there will be a riot on the Bears forum over whether to draft Anderson or Carter. It’s been going on for Weeks! In that event Seahawks get whichever one the Bears don’t draft.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Not necessarily. If the Bears love Young, they could decide to move on from Fields. Then either Anderson or Carter fall to us for sure.
Yep. Carter might be gone but 3 quarterbacks could go before the Hawks make their pick. It’s actually a good spot to be in for many reasons and leveraging a few spots for another first and a second could be ideal

themunn

Reaction score
I'd make a significant bet that four QBs go in the top 8.

And yes. Richardson is worth that pick.

This mythical "DE" people keep bringing up is every bit as risky. Will Anderson won't be there. There are serious question marks with the other prospects, and a few of them (McDonald and Wilson, namely) will need every bit as much time developing as Richardson will.

IF 4 QBs go in top 8 means only 4 picks in top 8 go elsewhere. Given we have top 5 pick would suggest that in all likelihood 3 QBs go ahead of us and we have our choice of the 2nd best defensive player.

If both Carter and Anderson are gone, I think we probably trade down to a QB needy team

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I’d be shocked if Young comes in at 210, 200 is probably a stretch.

The truth with Young is you‘re banking on the league continuing to protect the QBs and excepting the risk of injury is worth the talent.

For me the Mendoza line is 6’ 200# for him to be a top 5 pick. He’s a talented QB, but he’s not a lightning quick twitch guy so scheming around size limitations gets more complicated.

For reference: Murray is 5’10” @ 210#
View attachment 57588
Kyleer is listed taller than he really is or with shoes on and yet Young is
clearly shorter and smaller - Yikes!

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I'd go Richardson before Murphy, as they both have question marks...Richardson's upside is incredible. If he can sit and learn and develop, he could be very special.

I'd rather have Anderson, Carter, or Wilson for the DL at #5. One of which will probably be there.

I would be just as happy grabbing Hall or Tune later in the draft. As developmental QB's with much better accuracy and decision-making, that would make more sense to me... but I'm not a coach, just a fan.

If we took 3 defensive players in our first four picks, I'd be happy. Sprinkle in a C (Schmitz or Tipmann) or Vorehees at G... I'd be ecstatic.

Latest posts