Is Anthony Richardson worth pick 5?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree with all the positive comments about Richardson. But, IF you’re trying to win NOW, you don’t take a QB with the 5th pick right after you signed a QB to a multi-year/millions of dollars deal.

I’d love to see us pick him up. I just don’t think it’s happening.

So..,the real question…do we think we’re ready next year? What does JS and PC think?

I personally don’t believe they have any intention on grabbing a QB within the first three rounds.

I’ve been wrong before 😅. And in this case, I hope I am because I would love to see that kid in a Hawks uniform.

What you want now is Richardson to be available at 5 so you can trade back a spot or two and get another high pick.

Probably won't be, the consensus now after the combine is Stroud, Young and Richardson are going 1,2,3.

Which is also good because it means Anderson or Carter will be available at 5. Or Wilson if you covet him.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I agree with all the positive comments about Richardson. But, IF you’re trying to win NOW, you don’t take a QB with the 5th pick right after you signed a QB to a multi-year/millions of dollars deal.

I’d love to see us pick him up. I just don’t think it’s happening.

So..,the real question…do we think we’re ready next year? What does JS and PC think?

I personally don’t believe they have any intention on grabbing a QB within the first three rounds.

I’ve been wrong before 😅. And in this case, I hope I am because I would love to see that kid in a Hawks uniform.
I would think Schneider’s history and learning under Thompson has taught him if you can secure franchise QBs (who you believe can be) you draft them, often.

Schneider has learned that QBs are very much like RBs, you should probably have more than 1 and draft a good one when you can.

Schneider has always been a fan of intriguing QBs, I mean this guy went to the Mahomes, Texas Tech pro day and Josh Allen, pro day when he had Wilson on the roster.

If a QB intrigues Schneider he will definitely entertain the idea to draft him.

Seattle is in a unique position.

They can go all in for a championship play for the next two years and grab the best defensive player available at pick 5 or they can setup the future immediately at pick 5 with whoever they believe is their next franchise QB.

I wouldn’t put it past Schneider to draft AR15 at pick 5 cause the guy is just so damn much of a head turner!

Rat

Reaction score
Looks like Geno's contract is structured to be an easy out after two years, and wouldnt be a complete killer to get out after one. Richardson is definitely still an option.

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
Let’s not forget what this same coach and FO did when they signed their “guy” in Matt Flynn. Drafted the eventual franchise QB albeit in the third round.

I could totally see them go after Richardson or Levis if they are there. I’m a fan of Geno but so far his one good year is an abberation and we need to plan for life after him. Richardson/Levis/Stroud could come in and learn from Geno and the game around them. How many times do you get a top 5 pick? Who outside of the QBs really has their kind of potential? I get Anderson is a stud but he probably won’t be there.

Personally I’m being biased and I’m sick of the trade backs for more picks. Go for the big swing, get a potentially franchise mvp talent QB when you can. Geno goes down and we ride with Lock? Obviously the FO doesn’t have that much confidence in him or they would have saved the money and let Geno walk. They signed Geno gave him his due, makes the FO look good to other players and FAs that see that they reward their players achievements. I still have a hunch, and hope they get one of the top 3 QBs.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Let’s not forget what this same coach and FO did when they signed their “guy” in Matt Flynn. Drafted the eventual franchise QB albeit in the third round.

I could totally see them go after Richardson or Levis if they are there. I’m a fan of Geno but so far his one good year is an abberation and we need to plan for life after him. Richardson/Levis/Stroud could come in and learn from Geno and the game around them. How many times do you get a top 5 pick? Who outside of the QBs really has their kind of potential? I get Anderson is a stud but he probably won’t be there.

Personally I’m being biased and I’m sick of the trade backs for more picks. Go for the big swing, get a potentially franchise mvp talent QB when you can. Geno goes down and we ride with Lock? Obviously the FO doesn’t have that much confidence in him or they would have saved the money and let Geno walk. They signed Geno gave him his due, makes the FO look good to other players and FAs that see that they reward their players achievements. I still have a hunch, and hope they get one of the top 3 QBs.
In every draft there are always defensive studs. But it’s not often you can get a prime QB that is regarded as the most athletic QB ever. This guy checks all the boxes in physical measurements and if Carroll can groom him and have him play Carroll ball, I’m not sure if all the stats, completion rates, wins losses etc, he had at Florida even matters.

Carroll, would effectively put Richardson in an offense where Richardson only plays to his strengths and thrives in an environment where a lot of his flaws are not showcased.

Case, in point, Russell Wilson.

Wilson’s flaws and weaknesses was shielded from Carroll and only did what Wilson could do well. And now we see, Wilson’s success was very well manufactured by Carroll.

Richardson, would be an absolute freak in Carroll’s offense!

Imagine the defense being fixed in the next two years starting with this draft AND you have Richardson ready to take the keys to the franchise in September 2025.

Seattle could be a monster NFL power again!

Let’s gooooooo!!!!!

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
In every draft there are always defensive studs. But it’s not often you can get a prime QB that is regarded as the most athletic QB ever. This guy checks all the boxes in physical measurements and if Carroll can groom him and have him play Carroll ball, I’m not sure if all the stats, completion rates, wins losses etc, he had at Florida even matters.

Carroll, would effectively put Richardson in an offense where Richardson only plays to his strengths and thrives in an environment where a lot of his flaws are not showcased.

Case, in point, Russell Wilson.

Wilson’s flaws and weaknesses was shielded from Carroll and only did what Wilson could do well. And now we see, Wilson’s success was very well manufactured by Carroll.

Richardson, would be an absolute freak in Carroll’s offense!

Imagine the defense being fixed in the next two years starting with this draft AND you have Richardson ready to take the keys to the franchise in September 2025.

Seattle could be a monster NFL power again!

Let’s gooooooo!!!!!
Exactly! Pete Carroll has always had effective QB play wherever he’s been. He would help AR play to his strengths.

toffee

Reaction score
I would think Schneider’s history and learning under Thompson has taught him if you can secure franchise QBs (who you believe can be) you draft them, often.

Schneider has learned that QBs are very much like RBs, you should probably have more than 1 and draft a good one when you can.

Schneider has always been a fan of intriguing QBs, I mean this guy went to the Mahomes, Texas Tech pro day and Josh Allen, pro day when he had Wilson on the roster.

If a QB intrigues Schneider he will definitely entertain the idea to draft him.

Seattle is in a unique position.

They can go all in for a championship play for the next two years and grab the best defensive player available at pick 5 or they can setup the future immediately at pick 5 with whoever they believe is their next franchise QB.

I wouldn’t put it past Schneider to draft AR15 at pick 5 cause the guy is just so damn much of a head turner!
From a positive mind set, if Geno keeps playing at '22 level, and AR developed nicely. We can trade Geno for multiple picks, a very good position to be in.

GemCity

Reaction score
Looks like Geno's contract is structured to be an easy out after two years, and wouldnt be a complete killer to get out after one. Richardson is definitely still an option.
That makes sense. I can see them considering a QB if Geno’s contract is structured as you mentioned.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Richardson is definitely still a real option at #5.

The modern preference towards mobile QBs is based on the thought that they give you two chances. When Richardson drops back to pass, you have your first chance. Hopefully a receiver gets open and the line holds up long enough for a completed pass. If that doesn't work as planned, then with a QB like Richardson you get your second chance. Now you have a 244lb 4.4 RB carrying the ball with the best explosive numbers in combine history for a QB. Those second chances turn some of your third and longs into first downs, and the thinking is that second chance compensates for a lot of problems.

Matt Ryan with Indy last year is an example for why teams want mobility. He was still able to throw accurately when given a pocket and an open receiver last year, and his completion rate was actually better than his career average. It was a train wreck though because when that first chance didn't work out there was no backup plan and he was getting sacked or throwing the ball away. His lack of mobility led to 15 fumbles which killed their offense last year.

Personally, I much prefer Stroud but I also acknowledge that he's the ideal QB prototype from 2005 rather than the 2023 NFL viewpoint.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I slept on it and I'm all but convinced Pete and John take a QB at #5. It just makes too much sense when you consider that Geno's deal is essentially a 2 year, which makes for an ideal apprenticeship period for someone like Richardson or (hopefully not) Levis. If they don't grab a QB, at least somewhere in this draft, I'll really be puzzled as to what the long term plan is at the position.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I just can't buy the Richardson hype when Hendon Hooker has all the talent, and gets dissed over being a year or two older and having an injury. I just think Hooker is a much better value pick, and much more likely to produce at the NFL level as soon as he sees playing time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I slept on it and I'm all but convinced Pete and John take a QB at #5. It just makes too much sense when you consider that Geno's deal is essentially a 2 year, which makes for an ideal apprenticeship period for someone like Richardson or (hopefully not) Levis. If they don't grab a QB, at least somewhere in this draft, I'll really be puzzled as to what the long term plan is at the position.

Maybe, but it'd go against just about everything John and Pete covet in skill position players, which is experience.

Yeah they love elite/unique skillsets, but they also put a huge emphasis on experience, especially at the QB position. One of the main reasons they took a gamble on Russ, his very large body of college experience and maturity.

Richardson certainly has the skillset, but IMO his lack of experience and need for serious development that couple take years will create a serious issue with us gambling on him at 5.

Rat

Reaction score
Maybe, but it'd go against just about everything John and Pete covet in skill position players, which is experience.

Yeah they love elite/unique skillsets, but they also put a huge emphasis on experience, especially at the QB position. One of the main reasons they took a gamble on Russ, his very large body of college experience and maturity.

Richardson certainly has the skillset, but IMO his lack of experience and need for serious development that couple take years will create a serious issue with us gambling on him at 5.
I don't know that I'd make any conclusions on what John and Pete look for in a QB when in 12 drafts, they've only selected two: Russ, who was a unique situation where half the league wanted him, and Alex McGough in the 7th round. I'll give you that both were four-year starters in college though.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Exactly! Pete Carroll has always had effective QB play wherever he’s been. He would help AR play to his strengths.
Which is exactly why you don't waste a top 5 pick on a QB to play in Pete's system. I don't care how good the QB is.

Honestly if they do take QB at 5, that leads me to believe Pete has already decided when he is stepping down as HC.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't know that I'd make any conclusions on what John and Pete look for in a QB when in 12 drafts, they've only selected two: Russ, who was a unique situation where half the league wanted him, and Alex McGough in the 7th round. I'll give you that both were four-year starters in college though.

Good point.

Maybe if I knew the results of all the mental/problem solving interviews and tests with Richardson and the Hawks I'd be more confident in us possibly taking him to make up with the big lack of experience and snaps.

Just doesn't seem to fit into what we're doing right now, taking on a top 5 QB that needs a LOT of development..........on a team that now sees itself as a playoff contender AND has massive holes all over the defense and O-line.

Honestly? I don't think it matters. I think Richardson goes #3 or #4.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Good point.

Maybe if I knew the results of all the mental/problem solving interviews and tests with Richardson and the Hawks I'd be more confident in us possibly taking him to make up with the big lack of experience and snaps.

Just doesn't seem to fit into what we're doing right now, taking on a top 5 QB that needs a LOT of development..........on a team that now sees itself as a playoff contender AND has massive holes all over the defense and O-line.

Honestly? I don't think it matters. I think Richardson goes #3 or #4.
Do you think they really see themselves as a playoff contender? The defense was atrocious and cap space is extremely limited. The amount of holes on the roster imply we are a year or two away still IMO.

The timeline for competing for a title, aligns more with a rookie QB who is growing into his role in 2-3 years, when we have ample cap space and bad contracts like Adams aren't on the books.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Do you think they really see themselves as a playoff contender? The defense was atrocious and cap space is extremely limited. The amount of holes on the roster imply we are a year or two away still IMO.

Considering we made the playoffs last year and are about to massively upgrade the defense and O-line with the 2nd largest draft capital haul of the past decade, I'd have to say the answer to your question is yes.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I just can't buy the Richardson hype when Hendon Hooker has all the talent, and gets dissed over being a year or two older and having an injury. I just think Hooker is a much better value pick, and much more likely to produce at the NFL level as soon as he sees playing time.
Hooker is intriguing, but I think you are hugely undervaluing the age component. Age doesn't matter at all in terms of how long players will play for you, but matters enormously when you are trying to project growth potential of prospects. Hooker is 25 and Richardson is 21, and that should make an enormous difference when you look at where each player is in the process of becoming a developed QB prospect.

College football today is a full-time job for athletes where they have expensive coaches, nutrition and weight room science dedicated to constantly improving their play. The difference between a freshman kid and a fifth year adult senior is immense, and if it isn't then it sends up major red flags about what exactly that player has been doing for five years.

When Hooker had the same number of passing attempts as Richardson he was at Virginia Tech in 2019 and had just finished a decent 1500 yard passing season with 61% completion percentage. Of course he continued to improve in the years after that, finishing with his 2022 season at Tennessee where he had 3100 yards passing, 70% completion and a 27-2 TD-INT. But comparing that fifth year senior 25 year old Hooker version to Richardson is not apples to apples, and of course Richardson is going to look way worse without those additional many years of working on his game.

Hooker may be the better value, but Richardson is going to go off the board way earlier because teams reasonably project that when Richardson gets to Hooker's age he will have improved significantly just like every young prospect does over time. And where Hooker's mobility in the pocket is good, Richardson is the most athletic QB prospect in NFL history.

Aircrew

Reaction score

I don't disagree with any of that. What I would add though is Pete really values special physical tools and abilities, which Richardson certainly has. Cowherd was just on today and he spoke to this, he specifically cited Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and DK Metcalf. All guys who were unique talents at their respective positions that just needed the right program to flourish. It's a total hunch on my part, but I just have a gut feeling they view Richardson that way.

Latest posts