In our 2 losses

John63

Reaction score
For me the reason why the OP rings hallow is back when we had that great defense every loss was blame don the offense, even when the defense failed. Now that the main reason we win is the offense, again when we loose we push the blame to the offense. That may not have been the OPs intent, but that is still how it comes across.

So what we have is:

a defense that cannot stop anyone
and an Offense feeling the need to press.

Problem is if the offense does not press we loose.

UNtil this defense can be avg that is going to be what it is.

The bigger issue on offense is why we are not making adjustments to deal with the blitz? Why are we back to snapping the ball with 5 or fewer seconds to go 90% of the time again. Why are there no blitz beating routes, Why no screens, etc etc. Why is the OC back on the sidelines when he was in the booth we were killing it. We seem to have reverted to some of the things that were not working again.

All that aside till this defense can be avg we are going to have games like this.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Why does the post have to be about blame? When team's lose, i imagine the staff and players do a fairly good job of identifying the mistakes across the board.

It's a telling stat... (also, probably pretty consistent with turnover stats across the NFL. You give the ball away, you probably lose).

AlaskaHAWK

Reaction score
getnasty":3rhfd7t8 said:
Russ had zero reason to press in the Arizona game because he lead the entire time up until the end. Yesterday on the other hand i get him having to press a bit.

That is correct. The Arizona game and the the Buffalo game were not exactly the same. They were not behind 17 points in the Arizona game. Some of the turnover issues in that game would fall more on mistakes Russ made. I think he owned up to this in the post game presser. However, the bigger issue of needing to constantly score on every drive was still ever present. Arizona is one of the better teams the Seahawks will play and the dreadful lack of any real threat to stop them from scoring by the defense causes the offense, or mores specifically Wilson, to press and take risks he shouldn't have to. I realize this gets to kind of a fine line of whether he needs to just make better decisions or whether the weight of trying to win every game by himself is just to much to ask of anyone.

John63

Reaction score
Tusc2000":17z5cawd said:
SoulfishHawk":17z5cawd said:
16 QB hits yesterday. I just don't see how a guy can get comfortable in that situation. Not making excuses as he def. made some bad decisions. But dayum……...

^^^ This. For me, pass protection is the biggest concern. Russ and the receivers can outscore a lot of teams -- but not if he's getting pounded.

This is a bigger issue than most believe as it has a cumulative effect. Also, its not just the hits, it's the sacks, pressures, hurries, etc.

AlaskaHAWK

Reaction score
John63":1jm8ivyc said:
Tusc2000":1jm8ivyc said:
SoulfishHawk":1jm8ivyc said:
16 QB hits yesterday. I just don't see how a guy can get comfortable in that situation. Not making excuses as he def. made some bad decisions. But dayum……...

^^^ This. For me, pass protection is the biggest concern. Russ and the receivers can outscore a lot of teams -- but not if he's getting pounded.

This is a bigger issue than most believe as it has a cumulative effect. Also, its not just the hits, it's the sacks, pressures, hurries, etc.

Absolutely. We haven’t talked a lot about this because the Oline has played reasonably well this year. They did not in the Buffalo game. I think the Bills defense was in Russ’s face about 70% of the time. Couple that with the constant need to score and it’s kind of a recipe for mistakes.

John63

Reaction score
AlaskaHAWK":1szzf79k said:
John63":1szzf79k said:
Tusc2000":1szzf79k said:
SoulfishHawk":1szzf79k said:

Absolutely. We haven’t talked a lot about this because the Oline has played reasonably well this year. They did not in the Buffalo game. I think the Bills defense was in Russ’s face about 70% of the time. Couple that with the constant need to score and it’s kind of a recipe for mistakes.

According to the paid part of ESPN in both losses Wilson was sacked, hit, hurries or pressured on over 70% of his drop backs. It also notes that we did no adjust blocking, routes or anything to help slow up the rush. WE just kept hittin goursleves against the wall.