Hot take, Jamal Adams worst signing Seahawks history.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ifyvvj5 said:
To be fair, that Colorado secondary was shutting everyone down that year.

I was actually excited we got TT, though he was admittedly a little slow for the position.

But yeah. I was way wrong there. TT was not going to work here.

(It is weird that we certainly did not put a ton of draft capital into the team, for a defense where the success or failure often hinged on the safety position. Budda Baker was just sitting there and we overlooked him. Then we didn't get Savage, but instead let GB get him. Great safeties were there for us, we just traded down for other things. Frustrating.)

It took Pete and John too long to move off their "we're superior talent evaluators, so we can make chicken salad out of chicken crap" philosophies.

This is especially true of the secondary. Pete drafted and developed the LOB, most of which were late round picks. So he thought it was easy, so no high draft capital was needed to address those positions once the LOB left right?

Err, wrong. REALLY wrong.

Even now the jury's still out on guys like Amadi and Blair, two more safeties drafted. Again, why we gave up so much for Adams, and are probably going to have to pay a lot to extend Diggs as well, because there's no one on the roster ready to step in there either.

flv

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":znzir217 said:
Well when you draft guys like Lano Hill, Tedric Thompson and Michael Tyson to fill your safety positions, you get a little desperate.
The Rams from 2000 to 2009 hit on 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks. That's 4 hits and 16 busts at the top of the Draft. More recently people rightly laughed at Greg Robinson, but at least he contributed for 3 years. To have picked as well, or poorly, as the Seahawks was a pipe dream. The Seahawks haven't been great in the Draft but there have been multiple good Drafts: '10, '12 '14 '15 etc and recent Drafts are still subject to evaluation.

As for Adams my initial take on his new contract was this:

"Effectively his 1 year $9.86M contract has been ripped up and replaced with a 3 year $46.44M contract. At signing only $21M is fully guaranteed so if he has an non-football incident that costs him 2022 and beyond that's all he'll get. However there's an additional $15M guaranteed for injury, ($12.44M of which becomes fully guaranteed after the Super Bowl). Realistically it's a $33.44M guarantee.

There are 2 additional non-guaranteed years tacked on so the true value of the deal is below 3 years for $46.44M.

I would have wanted March roster bonuses in those 2 years, or an opt-out clause, and a, (presumably standard) guarantee that the cap unaccounted for $8M in dead money couldn't be held against him if he held out in 2024 or 2025. The 1st 3 years are a good deal for both sides."

Plenty of worse signings. Hell, the Rams extended Tavon Austin and ended up with about 10 offensive snaps for $18.4M. The Seahawks have an elite front office.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I am always skeptical of the self-proclaimed hot take post, complete with the "I knew this before anyone else" commentary

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Hawks had no choice.

As Largent pointed out, we had nothing in the pipeline/bench and any Hawk fan in the past 10 years KNOWS just how important the safety position is to us.

You could easily argue that we have literally lost 2 separate SuperBowls because we did not have enough safety depth.

There was no option not to sign Adams, he had all the leverage, and in that - we had to pay more.

I don't think you could make the case the Hawks could have let him walk. We were trying to fill our safety position slots for years, to the point we finally had to relent and make trades just to get decent starters.

The Hawks have made plenty of poor choices in the past, and they certainly overpaid - but you would have a hard time calling this one a terrible signing. Even if he gets injured and it does not work out, it still isn't 'terrible', just unfortunate.

But again, we had to. No other options.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I can certainly imagine 3 years from now a whole bunch of people owing you an apology. I hope that's not the case ... and I think the fact that Jamal is such a unique player has me convinced no one can really predict what will happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
flv":15dqrw54 said:
Sgt. Largent":15dqrw54 said:
Well when you draft guys like Lano Hill, Tedric Thompson and Michael Tyson to fill your safety positions, you get a little desperate.
The Rams from 2000 to 2009 hit on 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks. That's 4 hits and 16 busts at the top of the Draft. More recently people rightly laughed at Greg Robinson, but at least he contributed for 3 years.

The Rams also were desperate because of this, and also gave up two first rounders for Ramsey.

So not sure what your point is, you're proving my point....that when teams draft poorly at specific positions they're forced to overpay in free agency and in trades.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Just a big wall of text to let us know you don’t know what you’re talking about.

keasley45

Reaction score
Was reading the OP's post, got about halfway through and was confused... scrolled down to graze some responses and realized this is 'Ciara Dude' .

Bro. What?

A. Predicting Harvin and Kam getting hurt was something probably 3/4 of the fan base did. Kam, even with his shortened career was worth the money.

B. Any player's career can end at any moment. If that's the metric by which the FO would judge the value of a contract, kickers would be the big money guys in the league. Likelihood of injury is part of the game. And some positions get injured more than others. Doesnt mean they aren't valuable because of it

Rb, DB (S and CB combined) and linebacker make up the top 3 positions in terms of chances of ending up on IR. And WR's aren't too far behind.

And just like Kam and Thomas, I wouldn't want Adams to play any softer than he does...

His salary will be seen as a bargain when T Matthew's and the slew of 'next guys up' get their $.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Only complete asshats search for their screen name on a forum.

Fox0r

Reaction score
There's two options here and both of them reflect horribly on the OP.

1) He's too stupid to realize people were being dismissive and sarcastic when they voted him #1 poster on .NET

2) He realizes they are mocking him because the majority thinks his posts are garbage, so he doubles down and attempts to make them even more asinine.

Still haven't read a single full sentence of the first post. The Ciara thread was enough for me to know where I stood on this thread before I read any of it.

flv

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3iz874zp said:
The Rams also were desperate because of this, and also gave up two first rounders for Ramsey.

So not sure what your point is, you're proving my point....that when teams draft poorly at specific positions they're forced to overpay in free agency and in trades.
I wasn't trying to make a point or dispute any point you were making. It was just football talk, hopefully entertaining or informative. I wasn't looking for or trying to win any argument.

In preseason there was some talk on this site about the Seahawks having the best secondary in the NFL. I thought that was a bit of a reach and that the Seahawks defense had questions on the defensive line and at CB. Others here had similar doubts about either or both of those groups. I don't think anyone predicted the Seahawks defense statistically being as bad as it started out being. I get that there was some feeling of desperation when the Seahawks traded for Adams. With respect that desperation was because of the underperforming defense rather than previous Drafts. Adams clearly helped on defense but Dunlap was probably a bigger factor in the turnaround.

The Rams certainly weren't desperate in 2019, (they'd been to the Super Bowl in the previous season). Previous Draft failures weren't a current issue. The Rams 2019 issues were on the interior OL and at RB where Gurley was pretty clearly finished. Going into the season the Rams were ridiculously stacked at both CB and S. The DB Rams fans had ranked #12 or #13 on the depth chart was cut at the 53-man roster cut stage and started for the Dolphins 1 week later. At CB the Rams had Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Troy Hill, Darious Williams, 3rd round rookie David Long, & Donte' Deayon. The #7 CB could genuinely play. Trading for Ramsey didn't do anything for the offensive issues and made no sense from a 2019 positional perspective. That said the team thought Ramsey was value for the future, and they were right.

The Rams have been desperate in the past, and they have overpaid for some FAs because of that desperation...so not looking to disagree with what you said. I just don't think Draft desperation was a big part of some recent trades. Just football talk. :irishdrinkers:

hangumhi

Reaction score
The LOB were so good because they were all chasing their first big contracts. Effort, production and tenacity typically go down after players get their first big paycheck. Pete and John lost sight of this phenomenon. They started paying too much for "talent" and it has bit them on a number of occasions.

FPD

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2lvf14bm said:
... and I think the fact that Jamal is such a unique player has me convinced no one can really predict what will happen.
This. 100% this.

Elemas

Reaction score
He was banged up last season. I think we’ll see just how good in coverage he can actually be this year. He’s the type of guy that will take the negative comments to fuel his fire. Fire is something he has in spades.

I’m happy with the contract. In 2 years, we’ll be saying it was a bargain.

kf3339

Reaction score
Adams is not even close to the worst Seahawks signing in history. That's just plain silly. He is expensive, but if he can perform at or above last year for few seasons then it's worth it. I don't expect him to last long term. But two or three more years is reasonable to expect.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cary Williams in recent History.

Nate Odomes

Andre Hines although he was a draft pick but technically was signed, never made it out of camp as a second rounder.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hangumhi":3bw7ac76 said:
The LOB were so good because they were all chasing their first big contracts. Effort, production and tenacity typically go down after players get their first big paycheck. Pete and John lost sight of this phenomenon. They started paying too much for "talent" and it has bit them on a number of occasions.

and they were just really good and big in an era where you could play physical.

Griffin and Flowers were so good because they were chasing contracts?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If he gets hurt again seriously injured then yes it's probably the worst signing they have had certainly in the PC era . This whole thing was a mistake and it was Pete that wanted Adams so imo if it doesn't work he should be fired. JS is another matter i'd like to see how he does without Pete's veto power and input. JS drafted Wilson and there's no question he was the driving force behind that selection and were going to need to draft another QB at some point maybe sooner than later.