Holmgren to Schneider - "Hire an offensive coach!"

jman316

Reaction score
I like Bobby Slowik for this reason. He's worked defensive side in Washington and has a unique point of view when play calling. I think that's why CJ Steoud is doing so well. Slowik knows what the defense is going to do and makes the right adjustments. Beautiful to watch.
Was just going to bring up the same name.
Defensive coaching experience + offensive coaching experience + young = sleeper candidate for next HC.

hawks85

Reaction score
I dont get what everyone's hard on is for an Offensive minded coach, while Dan Campbell & Demeco Ryan are the type of coach I would be looking for. Younger coaches with grit, that relate well with overpaid young men, that seem to have their teams bought in, and willing to run through a wall for them. I hope we look hard @ Mike MacDonald & Mike Vrabel. Harbaugh don't mesh well with J/S imo. If looking O minded I hope it's Ben Johnson.
I know right. An Offensive minded HC WILL NOT beat San Fran or LA. We had a decent offense last season and we got blown out by some good teams. Our defense SUCKS MONKEY BALLS!!!!!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
IDK about this new coach stuff, I just don't know if any would be better than Pete. The trouble is, there's no one that stands out that you know he's the coach for us.. there is a lot of unknowns and Retreads.. Just not a good time IMHO.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Offense / defense minded. Thats not the critical issue. the critical piece is getting a LEADER who can inspire and teach 53 men of varying personalities / abilities and roles.

If youve got a great offensive mind and he cant do that - McDaniels, among many others. Your team fails.

If you get a defensive minded guy that can scheme well but doesnt inspire - same result.

We should stop the binary offense vs defense debate and think a little more critically about which candidates have proven that they have the chops to run the whole show.

A great leader can put together a solid team of coaches and coordinators, and if he establishes and maintains a strong culture, have success in identifying future candidates to bring in if /when successful staff members leave.

Its more about leadership and culture setting than anything.
Truth.

I agree with you. And I don't think a HC needs to be a playcaller either. If you hire your co-ordinators properly you shouldn't have to.

AND, how many times have all of us bitched about/suspected when Pete DID meddle in calls. Disaster usually resulted.

AND, I love holmy like a big bed of warm puppies, but man - shut the **** up. And, I'm rethinking my 'atta boy' when he chimed in lately about Adams, with the "sometimes you just got to eat the $" comment. Seriously dude - stick to the back room and shut the **** up in front of the media about this. It's NOT your team anymore. <rant off>

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Truth.

I agree with you. And I don't think a HC needs to be a playcaller either. If you hire your co-ordinators properly you shouldn't have to.

AND, how many times have all of us bitched about/suspected when Pete DID meddle in calls. Disaster usually resulted.

AND, I love holmy like a big bed of warm puppies, but man - shut the **** up. And, I'm rethinking my 'atta boy' when he chimed in lately about Adams, with the "sometimes you just got to eat the $" comment. Seriously dude - stick to the back room and shut the **** up in front of the media about this. It's NOT your team anymore. <rant off>

Relax man. He's just giving an opinion like the rest of us. Sorry it doesn't line up with yours.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
This coaching choice only matters for the "near future", because there will be new owners soon. The Seahawks are getting a "face lift" as if we are getting ready to "sell our old house". Maybe a pressure wash and new paint will bring us into the "future of the new Seahawks".

Ozzy

Reaction score
I know they can sell in a year but do they have to? Is it possible Jody can stay the owner for a while?

projectorfreak

Reaction score
After all this last two years jody is definitely growing on me and not like that thing on my leg stuff either
We have been blessed since paul saved the hawks and I'd like to ride the wave as long as we can
Imagine getting a jerruh type owner , woof , barf

Mick063

Reaction score
1) You want great organizational skill. A guy that makes sure that every available minute of practice time (as prescribed by collective bargaining) is productive and has a preconceived purpose.

2) Great leaders, regardless of profession, are largely successful because of the people that they choose to surround themselves with. Some of it is luck, some of it is skill, most of it comes from unique perceptive qualities, but all that matters is the end result. Indeed, when the ownership starts telling you who your coordinators should be, the writing is on the wall. They no longer consider you to be a great leader.

3) Great defensive minds understand all offensive concepts. Great offensive minds understand all defensive concepts. It is ludicrous to believe that a given coach can be proficient in one area without possessing a comprehensive understanding of the other. At a strategic level, "offensive minded" or "defensive minded" doesn't mean crap. At some point there is a unifying equation for quantum physics and general relativity.

4) At a tactical level (not strategic level) an offensive or defensive background makes a huge difference. What is the tactical level? How many steps a receiver counts off before breaking his route. How long a tight end pauses his blocking "sell" before sneaking into the flat. The priority sequence for a back when choosing who to block in blitz pickup. The list goes on forever. These are specific skills that require specific knowledge. They are not strategic in nature. A coach's background is extremely important in these roles.

In the end, choosing a coach based upon his offensive or defensive background is much more important for the assistant role than it is for the head coaching role. The head coach only needs to master the strategic aspects. When to go for two points. When to fake a punt. When to kick a field goal. Who to extend, who to cut, who to bring in for a look. Maximizing team strength, minimizing team weakness. Putting players in a position to succeed. Understanding the rule book in its latest iteration. Adapting team "identity" to the constantly evolving skill set of your roster.

When I served in the Navy, there were two aspects of being a sailor. One aspect had to do with your specialty (operating a sonar, a radar, a fire control system, etc.). The other aspect has to do with being a sailor (saving the ship when it is sinking, protecting the ship from intruders, maintaining good order and discipline, etc.) EVERYONE on the ship, regardless of specialization, regardless of rank, is required to assume the basic tasks of being a sailor when confronted with its necessity. Further, the captain of the ship could come from any background. From engineering, from weapons department, from communications, etc. His specific background didn't matter. What mattered is that he absolutely knew the requirements to be a sailor. Not a sonarman or a boatswain's mate, but a sailor. I think of head coaches the same way. They know what it takes to be a football player. Not just a receiver or a blocker or a kicker. But a football player.

Last edited:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
1) You want great organizational skill. A guy the makes sure that every available minute of practice time (as prescribed by collective bargaining) is productive and has a preconceived purpose.

2) Great leaders, regardless of profession, are largely successful because of the people that they choose to surround themselves with. Some of it is luck, some of it is skill, most of it comes from unique perceptive qualities, but all that matters is the end result. Indeed, when the ownership starts telling you who your coordinators should be, the writing is on the wall. They no longer consider you to be a great leader.

3) Great defensive minds understand all offensive concepts. Great offensive minds understand all defensive concepts. It is ludicrous to believe that a given coach can be proficient in one area without possessing a comprehensive understanding of the other. At a strategic level, "offensive minded" or "defensive minded" doesn't mean crap. At some point there is a unifying equation for quantum physics and general relativity.

4) At a tactical level (not strategic level) an offensive or defensive background makes a huge difference. What is the tactical level? How many steps a receiver counts off before breaking his route. How long a tight end pauses his blocking "sell" before sneaking into the flat. The priority sequence for a back when choosing who to block in blitz pickup. The list goes on forever. These are specific skills that require specific knowledge. They are not strategic in nature. A coach's background is extremely important in these roles.

In the end, choosing a coach based upon his offensive or defensive background is much more important for the assistant role than it is for the head coaching role. The head coach only needs to master the strategic aspects. When to go for two points. When to fake a punt. When to kick a field goal. Who to extend, who to cut, who to bring in for a look. Maximizing team strength, minimizing team weakness. Putting players in a position to succeed. Understanding the rule book in its latest iteration. Adapting team "identity" to the constantly evolving skill set of your roster.

When I served in the Navy, there were two aspects of being a sailor. One aspect had to do with your specialty (operating a sonar, a radar, a fire control system, etc.). The other aspect has to do with being a sailor (saving the ship when it is sinking, protecting the ship from intruders, maintaining good order and discipline, etc.) EVERYONE on the ship, regardless of specialization, regardless of rank, is required to assume the basic tasks of being a sailor when confronted with its necessity. Further, the captain of the ship could come from any background. From engineering, from weapons department, from communications, etc. His specific background didn't matter. What mattered is that he absolutely knew the requirements to be a sailor. Not a sonarman or a boatswain's mate, but a sailor. I think of head coaches the same way. They know what it takes to be a football player. Not just a receiver or a blocker or a kicker. But a football player.

Damn fine post, brother.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
IDK about this new coach stuff, I just don't know if any would be better than Pete. The trouble is, there's no one that stands out that you know he's the coach for us.. there is a lot of unknowns and Retreads.. Just not a good time IMHO.
Problem is, and I love Pete, that there's some really good candidates this cycle and Pete isn't getting any younger. The benefits he team in the broader picture of things. Still, will miss Pete destroying his gum on those sidelines.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Problem is, and I love Pete, that there's some really good candidates this cycle and Pete isn't getting any younger. This benefits the team in the broader / next few years picture of things. Starting with a new regime with on the cusp talent with another proven coach or rising guy makes a ton of sense. All things considered, it's the right time. Still, will miss Pete destroying his gum on those sidelines.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Relax man. He's just giving an opinion like the rest of us. Sorry it doesn't line up with yours.
Meh - I hear what you're saying - but as much as I loved holmey's reign, I gotta say, I'm a little pissed that we're not manning up a little in the whole process lately.

If you want teddy bears and rainbows, he's your guy - but he's been creeping around in the background all year, from the Draft to now.

I think I'm just as pissed that we're not looking for a Dan Campbell type of chew nails for breakfast kina guy - rather than the whole - "Let's preserve what has turned into a soft ass ******* 'culture' with the mantra of 'always compete' that for the last 8 years hasn't done much of anything except play .500 ball". I don't want another holmey. And I don't want 'opinions' from that era to soften the HC selection process that we have now.

THAT's what I'm pissed about if I really think about it - and all the dudes from 10 years ago should just shut their holes for a while in my opinion, and KJ, and Sherm to an extent. But, that's just my take. Had enough reminiscing at the 10 year Owl festival this season.

Just time to move on and grow some stones, in my opinion, and coddling some of the ancient (now) players/coaches/opinions - well, is just starting to piss me off.

Anyhow. Rant off I suppose. Yea, I get it, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. I'm just honestly gonna be real pissed if what we end up with is PC 2.0 here. That era has gotta be over. And to be honest, I really want a defensive coach. Even if that's against the grain, or against the trend in the league to make the D useless/neutered. So, maybe I just gotta get with the times or something.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think a lot of us have overrated the idea that a lot of teams don’t have great cultures too and we act like no one can do it unless it’s Pete or his style. I just watched a special on the Niners and it’s obvious they have a great culture there too. Those players absolutely love playing for him and that team. Campbell has created a great culture too. Texans players rave about Ryans and the list goes on. I love what Pete did as much as anyone but creating a place players love to play for isn’t the unicorn we think it is.

James in PA

Reaction score
I bet Pete is giving John the exact opposite advice. And as his "advisor," that concerns me a bit unless MacDonald is the guy he's pushing.