Hawks D Only D In NFL With No Three And Out Stops.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ouch. I came across that little fun fact today and was like, dayum.

From Michael-Shawn Dugar:

Seattle is the only team in the league that hasn’t forced a three-and-out this season. Seattle’s opponents are averaging 7.4 plays and 50.9 yards per drive, both the highest marks in the league, and the Seahawks have forced punts on only 22.2 percent of their defensive drives, second worst in the NFL (all stats from TruMedia, unless stated otherwise). Half of Seattle’s defensive drives end with the other team scoring a touchdown or a field goal; only the Arizona Cardinals have been worse.

nanomoz

Reaction score
FIRE HURTT!!

(Too soon?)

View attachment 54627

I know this is tongue-in-cheek. But this problem pre-dates Hurtt. The Hawks have been $hit at tackling for the first handful of weeks the past few seasons. I suspect it's the no-contact practice rules. Pete and whomever just haven't adapted very well.

BASF

Reaction score
As was pointed out in Hurtt's press conference we actually had three that were erased by penalty in the last game.

Also, the laugh react is from you stating in the other bait thread to avoid long thread titles. Very amusing boss.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Yeah, well, learning to tackle should help that.

View attachment 54626
Actually spit out my drink on this one. Plus it reminds me to look up some old Zach Morris Is Trash videos. Dude does a great job of showing just how absolutely garbage the main character of Saved By the Bell truly is. Some of those storylines are so effed up!

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I have to admit I expected a little, well actually a lot, better D performance. I expected CB issues as the youngsters adapted to the pro game. Especially disappointed in most of the DL. I really hardly remember hearing Poona's name in either game. Polarizing as he is, Jamal added a lot of fight to the dog and I'm not really seeing it come from elsewhere yet. Plus it was my understanding that the D was being tailored to let him roam around so a lot of pre-season planning went out the window. The last 2 seasons I haven't been able to pay great attention to the games because of work, so I missed a lot of detail about Brooks and Taylor especially but they're underwhelming from what I had expected. However, I'm in the "it's literally a practice season" camp and it's not like poor early performance isn't going to keep us from a SB win. The goal is to forge a team that communicates and improves each week, has leaders emerge, and lets the youth get over the pro jitters.

I don't want to lose any games, but I have no problem with it in looking at the bigger picture. But for eff's sake, tackle the damn ball. They should be doing tackle drills every damn day til they show they can do it on the field.

knownone

Reaction score
We're relying on inexperienced players at key positions. Barton and Taylor, in particular, are struggling to get off blocks consistently, which is killing us in the running game.

Rumors were floating around during the preseason that we were interested in trading for Roquan Smith. So the front office is probably seeing if Barton is a long-term solution or not before finding a replacement. Fun fact: Roquan and Barton are FAs this summer. Taylor is more troubling because they talked him up as a focal point of the defense, and he's been terrible.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As was pointed out in Hurtt's press conference we actually had three that were erased by penalty in the last game.

Also, the laugh react is from you stating in the other bait thread to avoid long thread titles. Very amusing boss.

The ones I am talking about are the ones that would have read like:

Hawks D Only D In NFL With No Three And Out Stops So What Do You All Think About That And How Does It Change Your Perspective On The Season So Far?​

We don't need paragraphs as thread titles. :sneaky:

Optimus25

Reaction score
The crazy part about this is i expected our first and second level to hold down the fort in tackling and fundamentals and for our secondary to just rot and kill us but it seems to have played out the exact opposite so far, at least in my recall.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
But, in the only stat that really matters, we are right in the middle at 15th in points allowed.

Our two opponent's defenses are both ranked 3rd in points allowed. (Though that might say more about the quality of our offense)

Outside of the tackling, I'm pretty happy with what we are seeing from our defense. It's a work in progress, but to be expected from a developmental year.

As I pointed out in another thread, defenses tend to look sloppy this time of year.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
The crazy part about this is i expected our first and second level to hold down the fort in tackling and fundamentals and for our secondary to just rot and kill us but it seems to have played out the exact opposite so far, at least in my recall.
If there was any chance of winning the 9er game in the minds of the offense, it left the house after the called trick play.

nwHawk

Reaction score
In order for Taylor to be an asset this offense MUST score points and make the other team play from behind.

If the plan is to play close or allow the team to pound the rock, Taylor may as well be replaced with Miles Adams or LJ “who” Collier.

cymatica

Reaction score
I have to admit I expected a little, well actually a lot, better D performance. I expected CB issues as the youngsters adapted to the pro game. Especially disappointed in most of the DL. I really hardly remember hearing Poona's name in either game. Polarizing as he is, Jamal added a lot of fight to the dog and I'm not really seeing it come from elsewhere yet. Plus it was my understanding that the D was being tailored to let him roam around so a lot of pre-season planning went out the window. The last 2 seasons I haven't been able to pay great attention to the games because of work, so I missed a lot of detail about Brooks and Taylor especially but they're underwhelming from what I had expected. However, I'm in the "it's literally a practice season" camp and it's not like poor early performance isn't going to keep us from a SB win. The goal is to forge a team that communicates and improves each week, has leaders emerge, and lets the youth get over the pro jitters.

I don't want to lose any games, but I have no problem with it in looking at the bigger picture. But for eff's sake, tackle the damn ball. They should be doing tackle drills every damn day til they show they can do it on the field.
If the Success of the defensive scheme relied so heavily on one player, especially one who has missed half his games, then that is an epic coaching failure.

cymatica

Reaction score
Ouch. I came across that little fun fact today and was like, dayum.

From Michael-Shawn Dugar:

Seattle is the only team in the league that hasn’t forced a three-and-out this season. Seattle’s opponents are averaging 7.4 plays and 50.9 yards per drive, both the highest marks in the league, and the Seahawks have forced punts on only 22.2 percent of their defensive drives, second worst in the NFL (all stats from TruMedia, unless stated otherwise). Half of Seattle’s defensive drives end with the other team scoring a touchdown or a field goal; only the Arizona Cardinals have been worse.
I must be missing something. How can they have no 3 and outs, yet force punts on 22% of their drives?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If the Success of the defensive scheme relied so heavily on one player, especially one who has missed half his games, then that is an epic coaching failure.
Jamal was, essentially, the QB of the defense. He was paid like it, both in the trade and his salary. The defense was largely built around him.

When your QB goes down, you expect things to be rough. Sane for the defensive QB.

I agree that building your defense around one player is a risky move, but every teams does it on offense, and we don't bat an eye.

Spohawks

Reaction score
This stat changes this week. Yeah it might be because there is only enough time to run 3 plays in the half...but the mighty Hawks will not be denied a 3 and out this week :)