Geno wasn’t clutch

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He did throw some errant passes in the 1st half, which is uncommon for him this year. But his WR's and TE's did drop passes or ran bad crossing routes. It was a poor game on both sides of the ball, but you're being simple if you are putting it all on Geno.

A lot of simple fans put too much blame on the QB.
I'm talking about things that were 100 percent in his control that he did not execute on in the waning minutes of the game.

Geno is 0/7 right now in these situations and he has a history of not being great in big situations dating back to college. He did nothing to dispel that notion about himself.

It's a hard situation, yes, but big time QB's make those plays with the game on the line.

Chevy

Reaction score
The defense post 2016 has been decidedly mediocre and he still was getting quite a few 4th quarter comebacks.

The Wilson in Denver is not the same Wilson that was right here in our system. Many of those 4th quarter comebacks came after that defense was dismantled.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. If Wilson is clutch like you say, then his talented team offensive team would be one of the absolute worst in the NFL.

Wilson is basically getting to dictate the offense in Denver, he holds the keys to the offense. If he was "clutch or elite" as you say, they would at least be average on offense. His own teammates are yelling at him (your clutch QB) during the game!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I agree Geno was not one of the big problems today, overall he played well.

But the thread is about whether he was "clutch".

I think Geno is now 0/7 on game winning drive opportunities with the Seahawks.

I suppose an analyst could review all the tries and point out they weren't Geno's fault because of.this, that, and the other thing.

Bottom line, 0/7 reinforces the "not clutch" argument.
And therefore, he's not worth $40M/year. Not to me, at least.

Chevy

Reaction score
I'm talking about things that were 100 percent in his control that he did not execute on in the waning minutes of the game.

Geno is 0/7 right now in these situations and he has a history of not being great in big situations dating back to college. He did nothing to dispel that notion about himself.

It's a hard situation, yes, but big time QB's make those plays with the game on the line.
You are in the vast minority on this subject. Anyone can take a minor stat in statists and make it look like a big deal...Go talk to Denver fans about your take on Wilson.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You can't have your cake and eat it too. If Wilson is clutch like you say, then his talented team offensive team would be one of the absolute worst in the NFL.

Wilson is basically getting to dictate the offense in Denver, he holds the keys to the offense. If he was "clutch or elite" as you say, they would at least be average on offense. His own teammates are yelling at him (your clutch QB) during the game!
Dude, I'm talking about Russell Wilson while he was a Seahawk. He also had been declining now for a year and a half prior to going to Denver. Saying the two Wilson's are the same is extremely disingenuous as he was considered a borderline HOFer with his statistics here. He also racked up huge victories with the game on the line.

He's not that guy anymore -- and that happens players decline. He had a slew of issues here in Seattle as well but he was automatic for awhile in the 4th quarter. He is third right now in all time fourth quarter comebacks. That doesn't happen by accident.

Once again, I'M NOT SAYING WILSON IS BETTER THAN GENO RIGHT NOW. You're arguing a point that I'm not making.

slateman77

Reaction score
He threw a lot of errant passes leading up to that moment in the waning moments of regulation. The throw to DK that was overturned wasn't on target. He threw two balls to Lockett that were way low, plus there was the handoff debacle.

He could have done things better. As I said, he's a good player but I'm not sure he's the type of player that elevates the team. I hope I'm proven wrong, since I suspect that he's going to be sticking around for awhile
Yeah ...and a top rated nfl receiver should be able to catch a low throw without bobbling it..That is what he gets paid to do....DK just doesn't have great hands...Period... I've seen many receivers catch that throw with NO problem..!!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yeah ...and a top rated nfl receiver should be able to catch a low throw without bobbling it..That is what he gets paid to do....DK just doesn't have great hands...Period... I've seen many receivers catch that throw with NO problem..!!
The guy had to dive for the throw, it was way off target. Lockett also wasn't able to come up with two similar passes because the ball was too underthrown.

slateman77

Reaction score
Yes...It was way off target I agree...But it was very catchable also.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yes...It was way off target I agree...But it was very catchable also.
It would have been a highlight reel level of catch. Even the top receivers don't make those catches consistently. That throw was all on Geno Smith and it would have been a circus catch if DK pulled it off.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
He did throw some errant passes in the 1st half, which is uncommon for him this year. But his WR's and TE's did drop passes or ran bad crossing routes. It was a poor game on both sides of the ball, but you're being simple if you are putting it all on Geno.

A lot of simple fans put too much blame on the QB.
Putting really any of it on Geno is silly. Maybe peak Wilson, Lamar, or Mahomes could've escaped Crosby on those two 3rd downs. I am definitely interested in seeing him absolutely put the team on his back and creating success from team failure but that happens super rarely. Not doing so doesn't make him not-clutch. I'm still in favor of a decent starter's salary offer to him and using the draft capital to shore up other areas. I'm not good at translating college QB success to the NFL so I dunno if there's a must-have QB in the draft but it doesn't seem like there's one so good we should forego a true pass rushing or run stuffing threat.

WarHawks

Reaction score
It seems like we're settling into the mean. This is kind of where I thought we would be. In Geno, I see a good to very good qb at times. But is he clutch? Does he have that "Wow! How the heck did he pull that off?!" factor like we used to see with Wilson before he declined? No. He's good to very good. Not sure he's great. Hope he proves me wrong.

GemCity

Reaction score
Russ was better than Geno is now in crunch time. Todays game doesn’t necessarily fall squarely on Geno’s shoulders as 34 points is nothing to scoff at.

Geno is obviously the better QB right now. Geno may start navigating wins in crunch time.

The defense is looking pretty bad.

Everything sans “Geno may start…” is not subjective.

Last edited:

acer1240

Reaction score
It seems like we're settling into the mean. This is kind of where I thought we would be. In Geno, I see a good to very good qb at times. But is he clutch? Does he have that "Wow! How the heck did he pull that off?!" factor like we used to see with Wilson before he declined? No. He's good to very good. Not sure he's great. Hope he proves me wrong.
Trent Dilfer won a super bowl. Eli Manning won two. A quarterback does not have to have that wow factor to be successful. Geno can qb a team to a championship. I'm predicting next year. I know everyone is depressed about the loss but this team is very, very good for being in a rebuild year. Get some DL and LB help and this team will be a juggernaut.

Rainger

Reaction score
Anyone complaining about that DK catch and the throw that would have been a catch 99 % of the time in this league on any given Sunday is delusional.

Have you ever seen a replay take that long in that detail so they could find "indisputable evidence " to over turn it.

Omg I have seen them call receptions not overturned way way less evidence thanthat one.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Could it be the film on Geno is starting to come in? It seems the adjustments are starting to happen...

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
2nd and 23 play? That wasn't wow? That wasn't clutch?

Why do we have this same discussion every loss where all of a sudden 'clutch' is a thing that only seems to matter on a very specific moment in a very specific drive of the game?

Do we honestly believe that there is no pressure on a drive in the third quarter when your team is down by 4 and you have a non-existent run game?

Geno has delivered game winning drives and then the defense poops the bed and he does it again followed by the defense pooping the bed again and then he doesn't deliver a third and we get threads like this and I'm confused as to whether some people on here think that there is some magical moment on the clock when a drive doesn't count as 'clutch' and when it does.

Clutch is the most overrated 'skill' in sports.

acer1240

Reaction score
Wow. Well spoken DarkVictory23. You said what some of us were saying but much more eloquently.

I think this is just overreacting to an interception on a bad crossing route that led to the pick. Yes, he made a few bad decisions but what quarterback doesn't? We've gotten spoiled because he's played almost perfect all year. Even superman needs help sometimes. Geno was the least of the worries today.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Wow. Well spoken DarkVictory23. You said what some of us were saying but much more eloquently.

I think this is just overreacting to an interception on a bad crossing route that led to the pick. Yes, he made a few bad decisions but what quarterback doesn't? We've gotten spoiled because he's played almost perfect all year. Even superman needs help sometimes. Geno was the least of the worries today.
Geno had two bad decisions (and he got lucky to not be picked off on those), a weird handoff miscue that I'm not sure who's fault it was so for the sake of argument will put on Smith, and then two passes that were a little low.

That's not great but it's not terrible. In fact, the two bad decisions stood out because they were so unlike Geno to do. How about that! We're so used to our QB not making bad decisions that it sticks out like a sore thumb when he does.

But at the end of the day, dude puts up 300+, a couple of TDs, and a pick that was on his receiver bailing on the route. This is a 'bad' game? Holy crap, how spoiled are we if this is a bad game? How many 'clutch' QBs are already done by the third quarter when their defense lets a dude run for 200+?

It seems like all perspective for Geno goes out the window in a game like this. We so badly want him to pull our butt out of the fire one last time that when it doesn't happen we think he's failed us but the reality is if Geno doesn't make a bunch of 'clutch' plays before that moment we already would have lost the game.

He didn't even fail us on that last drive. He hits his opening pass for 5 to keep us ahead of the sticks only for us to inexplicably try to run the ball again. Fair or not, we ended that drive the moment we handed the ball to Walker.

themunn

Reaction score
I agree Geno was not one of the big problems today, overall he played well.

But the thread is about whether he was "clutch".

I think Geno is now 0/7 on game winning drive opportunities with the Seahawks.

I suppose an analyst could review all the tries and point out they weren't Geno's fault because of.this, that, and the other thing.

Bottom line, 0/7 reinforces the "not clutch" argument.

But the very narrow definition of what defines a "game winning drive opportunity" is low - would you not consider his drive (after fumbling the ball no less) in the 4th quarter to put us 34-27 up was not a game winning drive opportunity?
In fact, if not for a very lenient "forward progress" whistle on the Raiders next drive, that drive would have iced the game and all of a sudden we're saying "wow what a great drive by Geno to win the game".

The refs then robbing us of a 1st down on the Metcalf completion also hurt (to change the call on the field requires irrefutable evidence and that was definitely not the case), and then on the final drive he had no chance on 3rd down with Crossby barrelling down on him within microseconds.

There's only so much you can do without a running game - hell 5 more yards and he'd have been our leading rusher too. K9 has shown he is an excellent back running outside the tackles but I think he need to show more inside, I definitely think we are missing Penny there