Geno wasn’t clutch

acer1240

Reaction score
Disagree Spin. What was he supposed to do? He had instant pressure for a full quarter plus overtime. Other than a Michael Vick type who could have possibly done better?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Geno HAS shown progress in getting rid of the football and saving the sack over the course of the season. I *wanted* Geno to put the "not clutch in crunch time" narrative to bed right here, and he had his chances.

Geno WAS clutch in the 4th qtr drive to take the lead, and he did have TWO opportunities to post game-winning drives, but didn't get it done, for far too many reasons to list, most of them not under his direct control. Yes, I want the Hawks to re-sign Geno and expect Geno to keep doing the work to become more clutch, and the team to put more pieces around him to help with that.

acer1240

Reaction score
I agree Geno was not one of the big problems today, overall he played well.

But the thread is about whether he was "clutch".

I think Geno is now 0/7 on game winning drive opportunities with the Seahawks.

I suppose an analyst could review all the tries and point out they weren't Geno's fault because of.this, that, and the other thing.

Bottom line, 0/7 reinforces the "not clutch" argument.
I understand your point reno but we all watched the same game. I'm not understanding this argument though. Do you want him to play defense as well? He's throwing the best ball in the game right now. If there were not some questionable calls we'd be having a different discussion. Geno is fine. There are deeper issues with this roster.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Disagree Spin. What was he supposed to do? He had instant pressure for a full quarter plus overtime. Other than a Michael Vick type who could have possibly done better?
He threw a lot of errant passes leading up to that moment in the waning moments of regulation. The throw to DK that was overturned wasn't on target. He threw two balls to Lockett that were way low, plus there was the handoff debacle.

He could have done things better. As I said, he's a good player but I'm not sure he's the type of player that elevates the team. I hope I'm proven wrong, since I suspect that he's going to be sticking around for awhile

Chevy

Reaction score
Geno Smith is kind of giving me Kirk Cousins vibes. Decent QB, but for some reason he hasn't shown us much in crunch time.
Geno's offensive line struggled big time in run blocking as well as pass blocking. For me we lost this game mainly because our pass rush was non-existent. Darrell Tayler is no longer a starter and is not even decent as a situational pass rusher. Boye Mofe is decent against the run but is trash as a pass rusher. Mofe is more of a linear athlete, so maybe better on a 4-3 defense.

IMO our draft picks need to focus on pass rushers, then 2nd round OG. Geno is not the problem!

Chevy

Reaction score
I agree Geno was not one of the big problems today, overall he played well.

But the thread is about whether he was "clutch".

I think Geno is now 0/7 on game winning drive opportunities with the Seahawks.

I suppose an analyst could review all the tries and point out they weren't Geno's fault because of.this, that, and the other thing.

Bottom line, 0/7 reinforces the "not clutch" argument.
Russ was clutch with Pete and an elite defense. Without Pete and elite defense not so much. So, no elite QB will be the clutch ever forgiving player to win games...#TomBradythisyearonatalentedteam.

renofox

Reaction score
I understand your point reno but we all watched the same game. I'm not understanding this argument though. Do you want him to play defense as well? He's throwing the best ball in the game right now. If there were not some questionable calls we'd be having a different discussion. Geno is fine. There are deeper issues with this roster.
Cliché but true:

"Elite players make big plays in big games."

Geno had opportunities other than any one play you look at (e.g. Lucas giving up quick sack).

When looking at the totality of Geno's play during the last 2 minutes of regulation and while in OT, he has NOT made the plays to win games in the "clutch".

I'm not saying he can't, I'm saying he hasn't.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Russ was clutch with Pete and an elite defense. Without Pete and elite defense not so much. So, no elite QB will be the clutch ever forgiving player to win games...#TomBradythisyearonatalentedteam.
Russ has the most 4th quarter comebacks of any QB in the NFL not named Tom Brady right now. Now, much of that was Russ's doing due to his "unique" playstyle, but in the 4th quarter with the game on the line he's been really good over his career. It's why he stuck around for so long here.

renofox

Reaction score
He threw a lot of errant passes leading up to that moment in the waning moments of regulation. The throw to DK that was overturned wasn't on target. He threw two balls to Lockett that were way low, plus there was the handoff debacle.

He could have done things better. As I said, he's a good player but I'm not sure he's the type of player that elevates the team. I hope I'm proven wrong, since I suspect that he's going to be sticking around for awhile
Exactly. He could have been better, even though he wasn't bad.

CLUTCH is taking it to another level when the game is on the line.

Geno doesn't have a good track record of that, yet.

Chevy

Reaction score
Russ has the most 4th quarter comebacks of any QB in the NFL not named Tom Brady right now. Now, much of that was Russ's doing due to his "unique" playstyle, but in the 4th quarter with the game on the line he's been really good.
Well, he had the best NFL defense ever for 4 years to give him back the ball. Marshawn Lynch also set the tone for the offense.

Yeah, so how is your argument holding up with Russ in Dever?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Well, he had the best NFL defense ever for 4 years to give him back the ball. Marshawn Lynch also set the tone for the offense.

Yeah, so how is your argument holding up with Russ in Dever?
The defense post 2016 has been decidedly mediocre and he still was getting quite a few 4th quarter comebacks.

The Wilson in Denver is not the same Wilson that was right here in our system. Many of those 4th quarter comebacks came after that defense was dismantled.

acer1240

Reaction score
To be clutch you need to have just a bit of blocking. Even Tom Brady could not have pulled this out. I'm sure it's obvious that I'm a huge Geno fan but I think saying that he is not clutch is a bit unfair. If the defense and oline gave him a chance to be I think he would do just fine.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
To be clutch you need to have just a bit of blocking. Even Tom Brady could not have pulled this out. I'm sure it's obvious that I'm a huge Geno fan but I think saying that he is not clutch is a bit unfair. If the defense and oline gave him a chance to be I think he would do just fine.
Smith is 0/7 with the game on the line at this point. He had opportunities to make big plays in crunch time and failed prior to the lineman destroying him on that final offensive play. We've also yet to score a single point in the final two minutes of the game under Geno Smith.

Not only that, he was known for collapsing in crucial moments all the way back to college, that is why he fell to the second round. It is absolutely fair to question how good he is with the game on the line.

I want to be proven wrong, I want Geno Smith to be Rich Gannon, I want another Super Bowl but so far he's hasn't elevated his game for those crucial moments.

He's been a good QB -- but he hasn't for one reason or another been able to deliver with the game on the line.

nsport

Reaction score
The assertion by the OP is 100% correct. It goes back to what I was saying before - I even questioned my own conviction about Geno Smith after he won some games with really nice play - even came back here and apologized for not budging off my original assessment.

I'll go back to my original criticism that still holds true. He's not clutch. He's not able to manage big situations. In fact, Geno Smith hasn't grown yet on his ability to play in big moments - I doubted that would change, and it definitely has not changed.

The apologists would say that it should be pinned on the defense or our inability to run the ball. Not so fast, apologists! Geno had two chances to win the game, DESPITE a poor defense and little running game today. He did not do it. Nor has he all year, and didn't last year in spot starts for Wilson.

Chevy

Reaction score

He did throw some errant passes in the 1st half, which is uncommon for him this year. But his WR's and TE's did drop passes or ran bad crossing routes. It was a poor game on both sides of the ball, but you're being simple if you are putting it all on Geno.

A lot of simple fans put too much blame on the QB.