Geno Smith...

rcaido

Reaction score
Can we keep the absurd exaggerations and strawmen out of this thread for once?

Like, please, go ahead and whale on that invented bogeyman to your hearts content. Let's just keep this thread actually related to what happened on the field last night rather than devoted to your snarky, arms-crossed drive-by swipes.

To die on a hill for Geno.

JPatera76

Reaction score
id roll into the season with Lock as starter and Eason at backup... ship out Geno

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Both of our QB's aren't starting caliber, I don't know what you guys are expecting.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The proof is in the numbers and the amount of team changes. After his horrific debut with the Jets, his confidence was ruined, and he never recovered.

I remember the same thing happened with Steve Young when he was with the Bucs but when he got the opportunity with the 49ers, he wasn't afraid to compete with the GOAT at the time, Joe Montana.

That's what Geno is lacking.....Competive fire.
Why would he re-sign with the only team he'd have a shot at the starting job with then?

It makes absolutely no sense

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Exhausting. He is what he is...
You don't have to post in this thread if it is truly that exhausting. People saying stuff like Geno specifically wanting to lose a quarterback competition are not posting serious thoughts. That is not a valid thought. They're antagonizing.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Again, I just find it insane that people are actually blaming Geno for last night. It defies logic and it defies reality.

This guy is saying exactly what I have with multiple angles of film for each play in question. Can anyone watch this and point out SPECIFICALLY WHERE you disagree with this and why?

Seriously, let's talk about the ACTUAL GAME and not our friggin priors here for once

Titus Pullo

Reaction score

Again, I just find it insane that people are actually blaming Geno for last night. It defies logic and it defies reality.

This guy is saying exactly what I have with multiple angles of film for each play in question. Can anyone watch this and point out SPECIFICALLY WHERE you disagree with this and why?

Seriously, let's talk about the ACTUAL GAME and not our friggin priors here for once

I'm confused.....Are you saying Geno is good or are you just saying he should start over Lock?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm confused.....Are you saying Geno is good or are you just saying he should start over Lock?
I'm on record saying that I think Geno is around 20th out of 32 starters on his best days and would be a contender for worst starter in the league on his bad days

I do not think he's objectively good and I certainly don't have him in the teams plans past this stopgap year

This position has made me apparently a Geno fanboy, despite it being entirely rational. I don't think he's an ideal quarterback at all - I'm just not willing to put more blame on him than he deserves based on the tale of the tape.

The profile picture is ironic in nature, as is my LJ Collier signature (which only shows on my desktop, not on the mobile version of the site).

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The proof is in the numbers and the amount of team changes. After his horrific debut with the Jets, his confidence was ruined, and he never recovered.

I remember the same thing happened with Steve Young when he was with the Bucs but when he got the opportunity with the 49ers, he wasn't afraid to compete with the GOAT at the time, Joe Montana.

That's what Geno is lacking.....Competive fire.
LOLOL Sitting behind Russell Wilson gathering dust, and you're talking about his not showing any "Competitive Fire"?....There was never any competition, Pete didn't let ANYONE other than Wilson play, let alone compete.
The chances for Geno to play up to a Seahawks Quarterback legend is laughable, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't be better in a different system that what he's been able to produce before coming to Seattle, I mean hell he has what, 4?..5? games playing for the Seahawks?
You don't come off the bench after a couple of years of idle and light sh!t up, it takes time to meld with your O-Line, TE's, RB's & Wide Receivers.
It's too soon for declarations & I DON'T KNOW if he'll ever become better than a decent backup, but neither do you or anyone else here in the forum.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
LOLOL Sitting behind Russell Wilson gathering dust, and you're talking about his not showing any "Competitive Fire"?....There was never any competition, Pete didn't let ANYONE play, let alone compete.
The chances for Geno to play up to a Seahawks Quarterback legend is laughable, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't be better in a different system that what he's been able to produce before coming to Seattle, I mean hell he has what, 4?..5? games playing for the Seahawks?
You don't come off the bench after a couple of years of idle and light sh!t up, it takes time to meld with your O-Line, TE's, RB's & Wide Receivers.
It's too soon for declarations & I DON'T KNOW if he'll ever become better than a decent backup, but neither do you or anyone else here in the forum.
He played on three other teams before coming to Seattle.

Like I pointed out.....Steve Young played behind Joe Montana.

toffee

Reaction score

Geno would have a pretty good first half "IF" DK and Lockett were playing, besides, in a real game, we probably would have run the ball a bit more. Preseasons are to test some schemes, plays and evaluate players.

One thing for sure, our WR3-6 aren't talented enough to step in case our WR1 and WR2 needed time off.

Geno displayed one thing that I don't like, he lack the ability to compartmentalize, if things doesn't go his way, he likely will let that get to him. He need a few good snaps to get going, or he won't go.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying Geno should be the starter or is the answer. But objectively speaking, besides tripping over Homer and sacking himself, he wasn't horrible last night. Tons of drops and penalties killed any rhythm and momentum in the game. That pass on 3rd down that Swain dropped? DK probably catches that. And the 41 yard bomb to Hart was a really nice pass too.

Not impressed with our WR depth at this point. Hopefully come regular season, DK, Lockett and the starting TEs help make the passing offense look serviceable.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I'm on record saying that I think Geno is around 20th out of 32 starters on his best days and would be a contender for worst starter in the league on his bad days

I do not think he's objectively good and I certainly don't have him in the teams plans past this stopgap year

This position has made me apparently a Geno fanboy, despite it being entirely rational. I don't think he's an ideal quarterback at all - I'm just not willing to put more blame on him than he deserves based on the tale of the tape.

The profile picture is ironic in nature, as is my LJ Collier signature (which only shows on my desktop, not on the mobile version of the site).

Are you saying he should get the start over Lock since you don't see him being here next year?

Do you seriously think a rookie will start next year?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Are you saying he should get the start over Lock since you don't see him being here next year?

Do you seriously think a rookie will start next year?
I find it peculiar that you're kind of defaulting to this pattern of asking "Hey, are you saying -insert really unreasonable opinion here-?"

I think Drew Lock did slightly better in game 1, and I was excited to see him in game 2. Very unfortunate how this has worked out for him, as he is apparently actually sick with COVID rather than just positive.

He should get the start over Lock unless Lock is dominant in preseason game 3, solely due to familiarity. Lock is missing too many very, very crucial reps. I'm fine with keeping the competition going into the season.

Whatever happens, it needs to be a legitimate competition, and it needs to go along with what the rest of the offensive players want. The receivers should get the guy they want at quarterback - they're certainly more established talents than either Geno or Lock.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Geno when stuff doesnt go HIS way reminds me of an older verstion of...
Cam newton pout 2Cam1

fullquartpress

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying Geno should be the starter or is the answer. But objectively speaking, besides tripping over Homer and sacking himself, he wasn't horrible last night. Tons of drops and penalties killed any rhythm and momentum in the game. That pass on 3rd down that Swain dropped? DK probably catches that. And the 41 yard bomb to Hart was a really nice pass too.

Not impressed with our WR depth at this point. Hopefully come regular season, DK, Lockett and the starting TEs help make the passing offense look serviceable.
I'm watching only on a 20 inch monitor, but thought Swain had to slow, and reach up, for a ball that could have been lower, and leading Swain slightly more to the middle of the field.
Announcher (Levy) said, "it would have been a great catch". Not sure about 'great' but think it could have been made easier, and safer, for Swain.
The incompletion to Dareke Young on the sideline looked like an easier chance.
Hart was very open...but at least that one worked.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm watching only on a 20 inch monitor, but thought Swain had to slow, and reach up, for a ball that could have been lower, and leading Swain slightly more to the middle of the field.
Announcher (Levy) said, "it would have been a great catch". Not sure about 'great' but think it could have been made easier, and safer, for Swain.
The incompletion to Dareke Young on the sideline looked like an easier chance.
Hart was very open...but at least that one worked.
I think it was on a dime. It looks worse because Swain alligator arms it, to my eyes. I think he thought he was about to get clocked.

Regardless, it was a super catchable anticipatory throw in the intermediate middle, and it was an NFL plus pass. They let him down on that. That might've been the best throw of the night. Just like Fant let him down the week before.

And then Dareke screwed him too.

And then he was screwed by the Gabe Jackson penalty on a very good throw to Cade.

And also had that bat down on an open route, which was just a great defensive line play.