Geno played an incredible game

Scorpion05

Reaction score
A 5 year old would understand what bias actually means.

Bias is claiming the offense looked efficient, with the ball out quick, in rhythm. When Geno's time to throw was LITERALLY 3.25 seconds. Three...point two five. But criticizing your actual starting QB for getting the ball out at 2.6 seconds this season.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/pass ... EG/5#yards

Bias is gushing over the screens, and the throws over the middle when Geno does it. As if the TD pass to DK (and to Lockett before the holding) wasn't over the middle. As if we haven't had nice screen passes with Waldron and Russ. And as if actual passing charts don't show Russ threw passes over the middle this season.

So yes, if you're overly praising a QB, that an opposing team didn't prepare for, giving soft coverage...and had to escape pressure just as Russ did...that's bias. If Russ doesn't play against the Steelers, and then all of a sudden the complaints about Pete, and the O-line are suddenly seen as more valid...that is bias. Because it was obvious with Russ in there, it just speaks to a lack of appreciation.

Fanatics

Reaction score
John63":yel8mti6 said:
Mizak":yel8mti6 said:
John63":yel8mti6 said:
I agree he played well.

Did he play better than Wilson today?

Well leta see they both had a td. Both had an int,
Geno through 17 passes, Wilson 16. Wilson had a 69% complt, geno had a 59% complt. Wilson had 152 yards, geno 131, Wilson had a 9.5 yoa, geno 7.7, Wilson passer rating of 93.8. Geno 78.3.

So no he did not. But he played well.
I don't think he was talking fantasy football. The eye-test never lies and yes he outplayed Wilson last night. If Lockett wouldn't of tried to sell a PI, his INT would of never happened. Now saying he played against a different defense, probably. It was softer as by the time Geno took over, the game was getting away from us but he did exactly what he should of done.

I just loved that for once the whole field was open to us, the inside throws were back, the quick releases were back, hitting the backs out of the backfield. To be good in this league, you don't need splash plays all you need to do is play smart and take what is given. The efficient offense is all we need.

Now is Geno better than Russ, absolutely not, but on this night it was blessing after what we saw for the first 3 quarters.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2ef6a2vj said:

Bias is claiming the offense looked efficient, with the ball out quick, in rhythm. When Geno's time to throw was LITERALLY 3.25 seconds. Three...point two five. But criticizing your actual starting QB for getting the ball out at 2.6 seconds this season.

Bias is gushing over the screens, and the throws over the middle when Geno does it. As if the TD pass to DK (and to Lockett before the holding) wasn't over the middle. As if we haven't had nice screen passes with Waldron and Russ. And as if actual passing charts don't show Russ threw passes over the middle this season.

So yes, if you're overly praising a QB, that an opposing team didn't prepare for, giving soft coverage...and had to escape pressure just as Russ did...that's bias. If Russ doesn't play against the Steelers, and then all of a sudden the complaints about Pete, and the O-line are suddenly seen as more valid...that is bias. Because it was obvious with Russ in there, it just speaks to a lack of appreciation.

Overly praising? Jesus christ, dude. It's so personal for you. Are you Ciara, by chance?

Also, interesting time-to-throw stats. It'll be interesting to dissect why the offense started playing immediately better and went on a measured 98 yard touchdown drive. It FELT faster, and I am hardly alone in that observation.

getnasty

Reaction score
If you don't think Geno played incredible your and idiot.
If you think Geno should start over a healthy Russell your and idiot.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Um -

Yea - I saw 2 things:

One already mentioned: saw a couple screens that worked! Finally.

And am I the only one that noticed something important: You could SEE Geno go through his reads and checkdowns. I can't help but noticed that he FINISHED his reads and checkdowns. 4 or 5 every play. And, then, OMG, he actually tried to throw to an open receiver, including the underneath ones!

You could literally see him check them off mentally and nod in the direction of every read.

Love Russ - but the read read, throw contested ball into coverage in a panic. Hmmmmm.

NOT saying Geno is a better QB. What I'm saying that his mechanics and process seemed ON POINT to me. Whatever the result. The big 90 yard or better drive? That can be a fluke based on defense not being used to him. BUT, the mechanics and attention to detail/process - including THE UNDERNEATH THROWS THAT WE HAVEN'T SEEN in years - were there.

That's my .02. Is Geno gonna save the hawks? NO. But it was nice to see someone finishing his job/trying. You forget how used we are to just writing off the underneath routes and plays. It was nice to see for 5 minutes.

Jesus - even Aikman (stopped clock is right twice a day) said: It's easy for him - look for #14 - where is he? Aikman doesn't like shit - and he had good things to say about Geno.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ddores":2gyvgcx3 said:
And am I the only one that noticed something important: You could SEE Geno go through his reads and checkdowns. I can't help but noticed that he FINISHED his reads and checkdowns. 4 or 5 every play. And, then, OMG, he actually tried to throw to an open receiver, including the underneath ones!.

This was really the most revealing part of last night's game once Geno came in.

The offense looked like how it was suppose to look, a QB that went through protection checks, and then delivered the ball quickly to the correct receiver or RB.

I'm in no way saying Geno > Russell..........but last night shed some light on maybe why the offense has never looked like a real offense and has been Russell just running around throwing the ball deep 50% of the time.

Russell, that's what. For good or bad it's pretty apparent that he's not comfortable in a traditional progression/read offense, and either doesn't trust the playcalls, can't see them, or resorts to playground Russell.

Or all three.

toffee

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2d3mk83d said:
He may have played against a softer defense than Russ. However....he actually took what the defense gave him instead of trying to play hero ball. Good, solid football.

I would argue that Geno looked more comfortable and in command of our new OC's scheme than Russ. To my eyes, Geno was executing the plays as designed, Russ would execute the plays while looked for opportunity for that big splash. That filters down to the OL and other guys, but especially OL, they just do what they have to do, not having to keep an eye on magic tricks Russ might be doing. To my eyes, OL was a bit more focused with Geno.

Since Geno didn't look for that bit of extra, or hold back for that bit of extra, his plays seen more decisive and quicker.

But's its only one game, and opponents didn't game plan or film study Geno.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":km1tuhir said:
Scorpion05":km1tuhir said:

Overly praising? Jesus christ, dude. It's so personal for you. Are you Ciara, by chance?

Also, interesting time-to-throw stats. It'll be interesting to dissect why the offense started playing immediately better and went on a measured 98 yard touchdown drive. It FELT faster, and I am hardly alone in that observation.

No, I just...have a brain? And I rewatched the game?

There was nothing "great" about what Geno did. He did fine. The Rams defense played soft, and he completed 58% of his passes. I get it, it was thrilling because it was unexpected.

I stuck to the actual facts of the game and even shared Next Gen Stats. Since you want to say I'm Ciara. Do you want me to accuse you of disliking Russ for other reasons? No, I wouldn't do that because that wouldn't be fair and I can't prove that. So let's stick to an actual debate about what happened.

I do hate bias, I argue this way whenever I see bias no matter what. I believe that Russ is frequently judged unfairly, so of course this is my opinion. That doesn't make me any less than you, so check your self and keep the debate to facts. Like Next Gen Stats, and whether we are evaluating Geno fairly.

It FELT faster because you already view Russ' play with pre-conceived notions. I am not relying on my own biases, I'm going based on the actual facts. Take the time, and rewatch the film and you will see Russ getting the ball out of his hands quickly more often than not. The fanbase have come to expect certain things from Russ. It is possible that you and others take some of Russ' routinely great throws for granted. It will be more obvious when he's gone.

getnasty":km1tuhir said:
If you don't think Geno played incredible your and idiot.
If you think Geno should start over a healthy Russell your and idiot.

I think Geno played good, not incredible. There was nothing incredible about what he did. From a "I have not played in a regular season game in years" standpoint, sure. I truly commend Geno. But from a purely QB perspective, he really didn't do anything special. The DK TD was a nice play but the corner was basically scrambling because he was out of position. The Rams defense played a lot of soft coverage and ramped up the pressure after Geno's 1st drive.

Geno came in with extremely low expectations. It's kind of like seeing a turtle run 50 mph. It catches you off guard, it's amazing. Once Geno plays one or two full games, we'll have a better picture of him. There's no way anyone can rewatch this game and say Geno dissected the defense. I for one want to see it

RiverDog

Reaction score
I thought that Geno played very well, was generally on target, made good decisions, and took what the defense gave him. But it isn't fair to compare his performance vs. Russell. Geno got the call in the 4th quarter when we were down by two scores. If you take a look at the play-by-play from the two scoring drives, he threw nearly all short passes and only took one deep shot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401326395

It's obvious that the Rams were playing a modified prevent defense, not pressing receivers, rushing only 4, and giving him the underneath stuff. They did not want to give up a quick score that would allow the Hawks back in the game, and it almost backfired on them.

That's not to take anything away from Geno, just that it's not a good situation to evaluate his overall effectiveness.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
You guys are insane if you think this team will last with russ out, standing by the oline and this defense. I dont mind if geno starts. If that's what needs to happen. I will gurantee we dont win one more game this season until russ is back or our defense makes significant adjustments. We can revisit this in a few weeks time.

hawk45

Reaction score
RiverDog":zyo6o5p0 said:
I thought that Geno played very well, was generally on target, made good decisions, and took what the defense gave him. But it isn't fair to compare his performance vs. Russell. Geno got the call in the 4th quarter when we were down by two scores. If you take a look at the play-by-play from the two scoring drives, he threw nearly all short passes and only took one deep shot.

It's obvious that the Rams were playing a modified prevent defense, not pressing receivers, rushing only 4, and giving him the underneath stuff. They did not want to give up a quick score that would allow the Hawks back in the game, and it almost backfired on them.

That's not to take anything away from Geno, just that it's not a good situation to evaluate his overall effectiveness.
Disagree. I just rewatched his 98 yard drive and nearly every throw had a defender right there. It wasn’t close to prevent, it wasn’t even a soft zone. Defenders were not playing off.

I’m not saying Geno can replicate this week to week, I’m just saying I did not see gimme defense.

Let me know if you watch the offense and see specific plays that I missed where it happened, I’m certainly not infallible at identifying coverage.

John63

Reaction score
Fanatics":2sanf5ds said:
John63":2sanf5ds said:
Mizak":2sanf5ds said:
John63":2sanf5ds said:
I agree he played well.

Geno through 17 passes, Wilson 16. Wilson had a 69% complt, geno had a 59% complt. Wilson had 152 yards, geno 131, Wilson had a 9.5 yoa, geno 7.7, Wilson passer rating of 93.8. Geno 78.3.

I don't think he was talking fantasy football. The eye-test never lies and yes he outplayed Wilson last night. If Lockett wouldn't of tried to sell a PI, his INT would of never happened. Now saying he played against a different defense, probably. It was softer as by the time Geno took over, the game was getting away from us but he did exactly what he should of done.

I just loved that for once the whole field was open to us, the inside throws were back, the quick releases were back, hitting the backs out of the backfield. To be good in this league, you don't need splash plays all you need to do is play smart and take what is given. The efficient offense is all we need.

Now is Geno better than Russ, absolutely not, but on this night it was blessing after what we saw for the first 3 quarters.

yes, the eye test is what people use when they know they dont have the facts and stats on their side. but thanks

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":3a6096jl said:
Fanatics":3a6096jl said:
John63":3a6096jl said:
Mizak":3a6096jl said:

yes, the eye test is what people use when they know they dont have the facts and stats on their side. but thanks

Take your Fantasy League stuff to a Fantasy league board will you.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3tzx7hcb said:
Fanatics":3tzx7hcb said:
John63":3tzx7hcb said:
Mizak":3tzx7hcb said:

Why even watch, bud? Just go look at your lil box score after its over. Everything else is simply delusion, right?

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawk45":a4ki5sgz said:
RiverDog":a4ki5sgz said:

Disagree. I just rewatched his 98 yard drive and nearly every throw had a defender right there. It wasn’t close to prevent, it wasn’t even a soft zone. Defenders were not playing off.

I’m not saying Geno can replicate this week to week, I’m just saying I did not see gimme defense.

Let me know if you watch the offense and see specific plays that I missed where it happened, I’m certainly not infallible at identifying coverage.

Perhaps. I haven't re-watched it yet and was just going off the play-by-play, but it's obviously a lot easier to complete those short little passes, covered or not, than ones 15+ yards downfield. Besides, coverage is only one aspect of a modified prevent. They only rushed 4, and I assume that their safeties were playing quite a bit deeper as the instructions would have been to keep everything in front of them.

That's to take nothing away from Geno. There's other factors involved in coming in like that which has to be taken into consideration besides the game situation. My point is that it's apples and oranges comparing his play to Russell's.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":39j9qb5x said:
John63":39j9qb5x said:
Fanatics":39j9qb5x said:
John63":39j9qb5x said:

Take your crap to the Qanon site.

cymatica

Reaction score
John63":2ngr6ths said:
chris98251":2ngr6ths said:
John63":2ngr6ths said:
Fanatics":2ngr6ths said:

Yeah because trusting what your eyes see is such a conspiracy

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3nfnj1gk said:
chris98251":3nfnj1gk said:
John63":3nfnj1gk said:
Fanatics":3nfnj1gk said:

I am honestly clueless as to how you get pass after pass for the constant political references in the main board. You've made this Q comment or some variation a few times now.

I don't like those people any more than you, but this is just inappropriate.

John63

Reaction score
cymatica":3w0zqonm said:
John63":3w0zqonm said:
chris98251":3w0zqonm said:
John63":3w0zqonm said:

Yeah because trusting what your eyes see is such a conspiracy

no, because your eyes see what you want them to see. If you want to see someone throwing faster you will see them throwing faster even though the facts say they are not. etc etc If you are biased you will see things from your bias point of view. The fact clearly shows Wilson had the best TT of all 3 qbs in the tans game. the facts clearly show Wilson used short passes and check downs.

Latest posts