Geno is Pete's Tarvaris Jackson

Rainger

Reaction score
Deja Vu!

Pete moved on from Hasselbeck with a high ranking draft pick QB that didn't make it with his original team (Minnesota) and got semi reasonable play for 2011 to transition to his next QB, (RW).

That worked to perfection! In 2 years the Hawks were in the SB.

He is trying to do it again with Geno. We have to suffer through a Tarvaris Jackson year again, someone who didn't make it with his team, will show "leadership" (according to Pete) and give gritty average play for a year, until he can get his next RW next year.

How does not the build of the D and the O and the look and feel that is happening not look like 2011?

I think they are trying to pull the rabbit out of the hat 2 times in a row. Will it work??

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of this at all. Geno has been weighed and measured, he's spent years playing in the NFL. Geno is a backup tier player. He has a place in the NFL in that capacity, but as a starter? We know what he can do.

I really think Pete needs to role with Lock. I do think that Geno won the competition fairly. Geno, clearly is the more refined of the two as a passer. Lock pre-determines where he's going to throw the ball and stares down his receivers. Lock also missed some really basic blitz recognition. Geno was put in the very same circumstance, identified the blitz and shifted the protection.

That being said, Lock has more physical skills than Geno and he's younger. He's going to lose you more games in the short term, but that it's worth it to see if you can get anything out of Lock.

I personally don't think Lock will ever be very good, but at least he's young and has elite physical traits. A team like the Seahawks is not going to be competitive and because they're not going to be competitive, they need to go with the young gun.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of this at all. Geno has been weighed and measured, he's spent years playing in the NFL. Geno is a backup tier player. He has a place in the NFL in that capacity, but as a starter? We know what he can do.

I really think Pete needs to role with Lock. I do think that Geno won the competition fairly. Geno, clearly is the more refined of the two as a passer. Lock pre-determines where he's going to throw the ball and stares down his receivers. Lock also missed some really basic blitz recognition. Geno was put in the very same circumstance, identified the blitz and shifted the protection.

That being said, Lock has more physical skills than Geno and he's younger. He's going to lose you more games in the short term, but that it's worth it to see if you can get anything out of Lock.

I personally don't think Lock will ever be very good, but at least he's young and has elite physical traits. A team like the Seahawks is not going to be competitive and because they're not going to be competitive, they need to go with the young gun.

I agree with what you are saying in principle, but I don't know how we can be more competitive with Lock when he hasn't yet been able to outplay Geno.

I think the mistake we make here is that we are assuming that if Lock can't win the position in the preseason, that the experiment is over. We are drawing a line that I don't think the front office is.

I think in their mind, Lock is a project that had potential but needs work and time. He didn't do it in the preseason. Doesn't mean that in week 10, of Geno goes down, that by then, he won't have grasped the entire offense and be capable of flourishing in it.

But even that doesn't mean we won't draft a franchise guy next year. We should and likely will. And whoever that guy is will compete and either beat Lock Or Geno before the season, or sit and watch for a bit while he gets up to NFL speed.

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

And going the route of a 'Tavaris Jackson' in a gap year is completely logical if there aren't any other long term candidates fornthe position you feel are worth investing in.

Garapolo might be 'better' but not worth the cash and injury history. Mayfield might have been am upgrade as well, but not the type of QB the offense wants. Andnits obvious they preferred the talent in next year's draft to this.

So it's Geno, then Lock off the bench if necessary. And that's 2022. It's no different than what it looked like it would be at the start of the offseason, post trade. I did think Lock would show better than he had, but that doesn't mean he still won't. He just hasn't yet. Maybe he never will. But it's all immaterial in terms of the future at the moment. What happens next will be determined by how the season plays out. Either Lock or Geno will be here next year alongside a rookie. Which of them(Lock or Geno)? We don't know. And how long whichever of them is here stays in front of that rookie, depends on what they do this season.

That's about where we are. It's not good, bad, right or wrong. It just is.

Scout

Reaction score
Geno is fine as a bridge QB this year.

Growth of the defense is the key and going back to a running game that shows great potential.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Yeah, let's face it; QB expectations were never high enough to really matter this year. Buckle in and ride it out.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
This is why passing on picking any QB in this years draft aggravated me . Pick someone and see what he has. Why waste an entire year? I think he actually really believed Drew Lock was a viable prospect which just makes me really question his ability to lead this team to success at this point in his career.

sutz

Reaction score
This is why passing on picking any QB in this years draft aggravated me . Pick someone and see what he has. Why waste an entire year? I think he actually really believed Drew Lock was a viable prospect which just makes me really question his ability to lead this team to success at this point in his career.
Because wasting the draft capital now means we have less to trade with to move up next year for one of the top guys, maybe.

🤷‍♂️

W

Welshers

ultimately we will just have to see how the rest of the team performs this year.

Fade

Reaction score
I was on board with Lock being the starter until last night.

You can't center your program around "It's all about the ball"! And then turn around and start Lock.

He had a few almost turnovers as well. He was so bad against Dallas's practice squad (Yes, against much lesser competition he'd face in the regular season) that Pete called the competition now, when it was supposed to go into September.

In the end (W's--L's) it doesn't matter much who starts this year, but I'd never put a turnover machine on the field no matter how talented they are.

A turnover a game is one thing, but Drew Lock is ready to turn it over on any given possession. He's learned nothing from his benching in Denver.

Geno's going to be anemic, the offense is going to be a punt fest, but at least he won't give the game away.

toffee

Reaction score
A turnover a game is one thing, but Drew Lock is ready to turn it over on any given possession. He's learned nothing from his benching in Denver.

Geno's going to be anemic, the offense is going to be a punt fest, but at least he won't give the game away.
I agree with you Fade, but I think Drew was either not 100% recovered from Covid or trying too hard last night, probably both. As for Geno, he was that turnover machine in his earlier days with the Jets, but somehow he is reinventing himself. He is trying real hard to be that game manager, someone who won't cost a game by taking risks.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I was on board with Lock being the starter until last night.

You can't center your program around "It's all about the ball"! And then turn around and start Lock.

He had a few almost turnovers as well. He was so bad against Dallas's practice squad (Yes, against much lesser competition he'd face in the regular season) that Pete called the competition now, when it was supposed to go into September.

In the end (W's--L's) it doesn't matter much who starts this year, but I'd never put a turnover machine on the field no matter how talented they are.

With the way many NFL offenses are built now turning the ball over 4 times a game isn't really any worse than turning the ball over 1 or 2 times and having 4-5 series that are 0 or 1 first downs. When it comes to the defense getting gassed the way Pete does it may actually be worse.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Geno is Pete's Curtis Painter, circa 2011 Colts. A year earlier the Colts had a HOF QB and were a SB contender. A year later they drafted the best QB in college football and quickly started making the playoffs again. Painter was the in-between-guy. That's Geno.

Scout

Reaction score
I believe the thinking is that you want to maximize the years you have a rookie under contract starting within 1-2 years. This means the cap space that would typically go to a QB can be dedicated to surround the rookie QB with a better cast of players within the salary cap.

The Chiefs did this well while Mahomes was in his rookie contract window. But now the Chiefs have had to restructure their entire team for Mahomes' contract by making tough choices with some of their better players that were on their roster (eg T. Hill).

hangumhi

Reaction score

Pete is too soft. He's more concerned with equity than wins. And Freddie swain is trash.

hangumhi

Reaction score
Is Geno the starter next year? No. Is Geno the backup next year? No. So why roll with him this year Pete? What's the reason? None!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Is Geno the starter next year? No. Is Geno the backup next year? No. So why roll with him this year Pete? What's the reason? None! Other than a notch on Pete's lib card.
Thanks for shoving politics into a football thread.