Geno and the Super Bowl

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Remember that DK dropped at least four TDs and Locked dropped one. That would have put him tied for second.
That is good company even in a crappy QB year. He was 11th if you compare him to 2021.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I bet it was someone else's fault when Geno was throwing balls directly to defenders too. I mean, it's clearly never his fault.
Imagine if defenders could actually catch. SEVERAL dropped interceptions. Esp. 2nd half of the season.

keasley45

Reaction score
I bet it was someone else's fault when Geno was throwing balls directly to defenders too. I mean, it's clearly never his fault.
Imagine if defenders could actually catch. SEVERAL dropped interceptions. Esp. 2nd half of the season.
Nobody said he was perfect. But the combing for 'yeah buts' started in the preseason. No, it started when he came off the bench the year before.

The dude played well. Not spectacular. But he did have one near perfect game. But all the naysayer chat was about how horrible he was. And that any success he had was because of poor quality of opponents. But if you watched the dude play, you could see that he had his Sh!t together and knew what he was doing.

Then last preseason, he comes in and does what they asked. No highlight reels, but he made some ridiculous throws, several of which were dropped. Yet, the naysayers again harped on the incompletions and lack of 'explosive plays'. And again, like the year before, if you watched how he did what he was asked to do and didn't tally long bombs and dramatic escapes, he was solid.

Then, during the season, when he was literally the only offense we had for stretches and leading the league or near tops on the league in several statistical categories, the negative chatter was that he hadn't made any clutch comebacks.

Simple fact, he ain't perfect. But he's damn good. And I'd bet everything in my bank account that if the number and name on his jersey were different, half the 'yeah butts' would flip and sound a more positive note. Not blind bandwagon following, but certainly not all the talk about what he'll never do or won't ever be.

Last edited:

sc85sis

Reaction score
It’s a team sport. If we get to the Super Bowl, it will be because the team played well.

And can we stop with the extremism when talking about the QB position. Russell was really good, until he wasn’t so good. Geno seems to be going in the opposite direction. Both have areas in which they excel. Both have flaws. That’s usually how it works.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
If we look back at how Pete and company handled RW and his limitations and how we won an Owl wouldn’t it stand they could do the same for Geno and his shortcomings. Every QB has them but good coaching can help mitigate some of those issues. This coaching staff has proven they can do this. IMHO I feel Geno can still get better because he is willing to listen and grow. Add coaching into the mix and I feel Geno can get us where we need to go.

Jville

Reaction score
It’s a team sport. If we get to the Super Bowl, it will be because the team played well.

And can we stop with the extremism when talking about the QB position. Russell was really good, until he wasn’t so good. Geno seems to be going in the opposite direction. Both have areas in which they excel. Both have flaws. That’s usually how it works.

It is indeed a team sport ...........

So many captives of the quarterback narrative purposely ignore that once upon a time .... the Seattle Seahawks had the leading #1 scoring defense in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. A feat never seen before or since by the NFL.

Ozzy

Reaction score
watch highlights of Tom Brady and Edelman run that same play. It was a staple of their offense. You know where Tom never through the ball? high and inside. If you hit the WR before he clears the pick, its a gimme. If you hit the receiver 2 yards beyond the pick, you run the chance the defender jumps the play and gets to the ball... which is excatly what happened. Theres zero chance for that play to get picked if its thrown as the wr is crossing the pick. Its simple physics.

You know what else is physics? a low release point from the qbs hand will always prevent the ball from hitting a low target when its a shallow cross just beyond the LOS, unless you have a clear lane to throw through. Low release point relatevely close to the LOS, plus tall lineman standing up right in front of you equals a ball that will be high.

And you know what supports the fact that it was on the QB? The number of times the Seahawks ran that play again after the SB, even though its so effective, rules were created against it.. but its STILL used today by qbs to pickup cheap yards.

But not in Seattle, even though Russ had wrs who could run the route better at his disposal. That play went the way of countless others that just weren't run when 3 was here.
I've watched that play a 100 times and I'm 💯 on what went wrong and the russ throw is at the bottom. You highlighted in your first point Edelman ran it. We ran it with our special teams gunner and tried it against the one player in the league who was possibly the best at the line of scrimmage. When people solely want to blame russ because a bang bang throw that if was ran right or kearse held his block for even half a second longer is odd to me. I've seen multiple coaches see it the same way. Not to appeal to authority but not many coaches with that personnel grouping going against the most physical corner in the league and your guy has to beat him at that specific skillset was stupid. If any of the receivers above him in the wr room are running it it's not an int.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Nobody said he was perfect. But the combing for 'yeah buts' started in the preseason. No, it started when he came off the bench the year before.

The dude played well. Not spectacular. But he did have one near perfect game. But all the naysayer chat was about how horrible he was. And that any success he had was because of poor quality of opponents. But if you watched the dude play, you could see that he had his Sh!t together and knew what he was doing.

Then last preseason, he comes in and does what they asked. No highlight reels, but he made some ridiculous throws, several of which were dropped. Yet, the naysayers again harped on the incompletions and lack of 'explosive plays'. And again, like the year before, if you watched how he did what he was asked to do and didn't tally long bombs and dramatic escapes, he was solid.

Then, during the season, when he was literally the only offense we had for stretches and leading the league or near tops on the league in several statistical categories, the negative chatter was that he hadn't made any clutch comebacks.

Simple fact, he ain't perfect. But he's damn good. And I'd bet everything in my bank account that if the number and name on his jersey were different, half the 'yeah butts' would flip and sound a more positive note. Not blind bandwagon following, but certainly not all the talk about what he'll never do or won't ever be.
Nah not a fan of when people disagree its solely for stupid reasons. Geno played at a top 5 level the first half of the year. He played much worse the second half of the year, lead the league in turnover worthy throws and just wasn't the same guy to finish the year. That is a valid enough reason to question what he will be this year. Is he first half geno? Second half Geno? I personally think he's probably somewhere in between and that's a reasonable take just as it is to think he's closer to first half geno. Social media has taught everyone that everything has to be either/or, good vs evil etc and it's faulty

keasley45

Reaction score
Nah not a fan of when people disagree its solely for stupid reasons. Geno played at a top 5 level the first half of the year. He played much worse the second half of the year, lead the league in turnover worthy throws and just wasn't the same guy to finish the year. That is a valid enough reason to question what he will be this year. Is he first half geno? Second half Geno? I personally think he's probably somewhere in between and that's a reasonable take just as it is to think he's closer to first half geno. Social media has taught everyone that everything has to be either/or, good vs evil etc and it's faulty
What qb doesn't play as well when his center is routinely in his lap and his rb room is empty? Thst seems to never factor into the equation for the '2nd half Geno struggled crew. He was sacked almost as much as Russ but pit up franchise numbers...

keasley45

Reaction score
I've watched that play a 100 times and I'm 💯 on what went wrong and the russ throw is at the bottom. You highlighted in your first point Edelman ran it. We ran it with our special teams gunner and tried it against the one player in the league who was possibly the best at the line of scrimmage. When people solely want to blame russ because a bang bang throw that if was ran right or kearse held his block for even half a second longer is odd to me. I've seen multiple coaches see it the same way. Not to appeal to authority but not many coaches with that personnel grouping going against the most physical corner in the league and your guy has to beat him at that specific skillset was stupid. If any of the receivers above him in the wr room are running it it's not an int.

I've not heard one coach question the call. As a matter of fact, even Bill B said it was a good call.

And if Brady threw that route to his grandma, it would still be on the body, behind the pick, not beyond it.

Russ never ran it with ADB, Dk, or anyone else because like screens, he couldn't properly place balls low that were just beyond the line of scrimmage.

He couldn't make the play.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Then why do I have an angry PM from you from less than a year ago angrily stating that "you've been right more than you've been wrong?"

Seems weirdly defensive for something that doesn't matter.
Cuz I let your condescending attitude get to me. You are a special one. Carry on.

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score

He is solid.

Problem is we are talking about the Superbowl. Geno is not that caliber.

Look at the list of Super Bowl winning QBs in the last 20 years. How many guys are Geno Smith caliber? Nick Foles? One lucky guy

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I've not heard one coach question the call. As a matter of fact, even Bill B said it was a good call.

And if Brady threw that route to his grandma, it would still be on the body, behind the pick, not beyond it.

Russ never ran it with ADB, Dk, or anyone else because like screens, he couldn't properly place balls low that were just beyond the line of scrimmage.

He couldn't make the play.
If russ can't make that play, wouldn't that make that a bad call?

BASF

Reaction score
Teams adjusted to what the offensive coordinator was calling. Shane did not make enough adjustments. But, hey only Geno can be blamed for the plays being run. Russ apologists will always knock the QB when it isn't him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's still the one making the throws that were either picked and/or should have been picked. Yes, he's a damn good QB when he's on. But HE is the one making those bad decisions. See it how you want, I'm cautiously optimistic about him going forward. And like I did all year, I'll eat the crow if he continues to win. But I need to see him win the big games at the end, and especially in the playoffs. He gets a lot more excuses than he gets legit criticism. He's the QB, he would probably be the first one to tell you when he needs to play better. And Russ looked like crap his last year here and even worse last year in Denver. It was VERY much time to move on from him.
Geezus, this has NOTHING to do with the former QB. We're talking about Geno. Can he take us to the Superbowl? Possibly.
Meanwhile, guys like Maelstrom sit there worshipping at the feet of Geno. Maybe it's time to ask him out.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
He is solid.

Problem is we are talking about the Superbowl. Geno is not that caliber.

Look at the list of Super Bowl winning QBs in the last 20 years. How many guys are Geno Smith caliber? Nick Foles? One lucky guy
I'm just not sure what this means. What is super bowl caliber for any QB? While it takes the entire team to get to that destination (i.e Geno certainly doesn't play defense) I'm just trying to understand what Geno lacks that gets him tagged like this.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
He's still the one making the throws that were either picked and/or should have been picked. Yes, he's a damn good QB when he's on. But HE is the one making those bad decisions. See it how you want, I'm cautiously optimistic about him going forward. And like I did all year, I'll eat the crow if he continues to win. But I need to see him win the big games at the end, and especially in the playoffs. He gets a lot more excuses than he gets legit criticism. He's the QB, he would probably be the first one to tell you when he needs to play better. And Russ looked like crap his last year here and even worse last year in Denver. It was VERY much time to move on from him.
Geezus, this has NOTHING to do with the former QB. We're talking about Geno. Can he take us to the Superbowl? Possibly.
Meanwhile, guys like Maelstrom sit there worshipping at the feet of Geno. Maybe it's time to ask him out.
All QBs throw interceptions. It comes with the territory. What I'd like to see is what plays were flagged as turnover worthy plays. Were these all bonehead plays or are some great tight window throws getting flagged as well?

This is the problem with random and subjective metrics. We need to see one layer further in to really understand what it means for a player like Geno.

Can he get better? Yes, he already stated that himself and wants to get to the film to correct some of the mistakes. That's the right approach. I'm just still not quite understanding why people think Geno is incapable of leading Seattle in the playoffs and the SB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He made several throws late season that should have been picked. Just because they were dropped, doesn't mean they were not crap decisions.
When he's on, he's damn good. Sorry I don't see him as a SB level QB. Just my own opinion, and I have a right to it. And I hope I'm very wrong. He's our QB, and I hope he lights it up. People love acting like if someone isn't 100 percent sold on Geno, that it somehow equates to Russ.
It never ends on here. Russ is long gone, and it's a VERY good thing. Geno took advantage of his chance last year, and hopefully he's even better. We need him to be. Stats are one thing, but 9-8 and a 1st round exit isn't exactly all world. He has more to work with this year, let's see how it plays out.
He had a hell of a season overall, we need him to have a better season, period. And I suspect if he stays healthy, along with the guys on offense, he will have a better year.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
He made several throws late season that should have been picked. Just because they were dropped, doesn't mean they were not crap decisions.
When he's on, he's damn good. Sorry I don't see him as a SB level QB. Just my own opinion, and I have a right to it.
I do recall watching some passes that should have been picked. I've also seen the same thing happen on throws from top tier QBs as well. Geno isn't unique in that regard.

You're certainly entitled to believe whatever you want. We're also entitled on a board to disagree with you.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I never said other QB's don't make stupid throws, they absolutely do. I don't care if people disagree, that's what a message board is about. Debate, football talk, opinions. Meh. He's good not great, sorry if that opinion bothers people.
But he's not even close to a top tier QB. MY opinion. Doesn't mean it's right or wrong, just how I feel. Throw stats around as much as you want. Wins and losses, especially in the playoffs are what matter to me. Stats don't mean squat if they don't come with big wins when it counts.