Geno’s Back

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'd question his judgment if he opened this team up to sucking for cap space and slightly more draft capital, honestly.

Losing begets losing. The great teams don't lose much. Team Mike Macdonald just came from? They don't lose much either. They certainly don't open themselves up to being significantly worse just so they can have a more fun offseason a year down the road.

That mediocre quarterback has clear upside, and was clearly NOT mediocre just a year ago. I'd hate to have a defeatist front office who doesn't see upside where it clearly exists.

I see the value in winning in 2024. I don't understand how people don't, unless they're playing Mental Madden and obsessing over their dream rebuild instead of the real results that these real men will have to achieve to justify the continuation of their careers.
Baltimore isn't infallible they've had 17 winning seasons 3 seasons of 8-8 and 8 losing seasons and were 8-9 as recently as 2021.

Jac

Reaction score
Correct, the Seahawks were UNWATCHABLE because of exactly this. The defense has been putrid for 6 years in a row. Geno is limited but good nuff for next year where we need to fix both lines in the worst way.
It's a fair point. This team has gone all-in on defense for years, and they've progressively gotten worse. On offense, we say to the OC "here's your reclamation project Geno Smith...why can't you consistently bail out our defense?" I don't think Smith is the long-term answer or will be the QB when we ascend into our window, but he's not been the biggest problem on this team by a longshot. Having coaches that gameplan and adapt will be a nice start.

xray

Reaction score
Everybody can agree that Smith is not the future . If they keep him as the starter ; it's because they know he won't be a detriment and can still help win . Usually a team's success hinges on the success of the QB . If he should play well enough to help the Hawks post another 9 or 10 win season , then that's all they want from him . I still think the Hawks are looking at 2025 as their launch point for a real run . imo

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
I do think this would be the year to get a guy, have him sit behind Geno for a year, have a bit of QB competition in the future.

But… to grab the 4th or 5th ranked guy at 16 is a bit hard to fathom.

Later rounds? I’m down.

Optimus25

Reaction score
You could do a similar list of elite defensive players who don't get it done. Lets see Myles Garrett, T.J. Watt, Micah Parsons, Maxx Crosby, Nick Bosa, Sauce Gardner, and on and on.
That’s my point exactly. You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. So why is QB the automatic selection within our draft capital for so many people? We have a modestly proven couple of guys at the position already, assuming we ‘lock’ up Drew. If you have a QB who can take you to the playoffs or brink of every season, but you have a defense that literally gives up 8 yds a carry, it’s a no brainer for me. Every pick. Every resource. Every energy. To the defense.

Plus this is very minor but at least needs consideration. No other team in our entire division is drafting quarterback. Probably anywhere in first 5 rounds. So any 1/2 rounder we take as QB is a gift to our division because one more ‘other’ position they may have desperately been targeting would still be on the board.

Before you think that’s crazy talk, reminder in 2016 the broncos reached on Paxton lynch late in the first and then who do the chiefs scoop up early in the 2nd? The REAL Super Bowl MVP- Chris Jones.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
Before you think that’s crazy talk, reminder in 2016 the broncos reached on Paxton lynch late in the first and then who do the chiefs scoop up early in the 2nd? The REAL Super Bowl MVP- Chris Jones.
And the next year, the 49ers drafted Solomon Thomas at #3, while the Chiefs took Mahomes at #10. Things turn out differently, and the 49ers could have had (instead of faced) Mahomes in the SB. Our prior decision-making structure normalized not drafting QB's for instant gratification. It seems like that's going to change starting this year (hopefully at least).

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
According to ESPN’s Brady Henderson, just because the Seahawks are keeping Smith on the roster right now doesn’t necessarily mean he will be with the team come Week 1.

“Keeping Smith through Friday would guarantee his $12.7M base salary for 2024 but it wouldn’t necessarily guarantee he remains on Seattle’s roster. The Seahawks could conceivably trade him, along with that $12.7 million and the remainder of his contract, before March 18,” Henderson posted on social media.

Schefter reported something similar, as well.

“The Seahawks believed that, in today’s market, with salaries soaring for starting quarterbacks, the right decision was to pay the money, per sources,” Schefter reported. “Now Geno Smith will represent a value to them – or any other team that decides to reach out to see if it can acquire Smith via trade. But Seattle now has locked in Smith, and Smith has locked in his $12.7 million.”

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Maybe. If we don't trade Geno, it will leave me questioning Schneider's judgment. I don't see the value of running Geno out there again in 2024. Another mediocre season under a mediocre QB gets us nothing but a year older and a year closer to having to pay the guys on rookie contracts taken with the Wilson picks. Would rather go for broke with a rookie or with Lock and either exceed expectations or suck but open cap space and acquire draft capital for 2025 and beyond.
If the QB you want is available, you take him. I'm good either way. Totally see your side of it. you create your board, and you stick to it. BPA.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Doesn’t rule out a trade or restructure, does it? Through this week is pretty deliberate language.
According to ESPN’s Brady Henderson, just because the Seahawks are keeping Smith on the roster right now doesn’t necessarily mean he will be with the team come Week 1.

“Keeping Smith through Friday would guarantee his $12.7M base salary for 2024 but it wouldn’t necessarily guarantee he remains on Seattle’s roster. The Seahawks could conceivably trade him, along with that $12.7 million and the remainder of his contract, before March 18,” Henderson posted on social media.

Schefter reported something similar, as well.

“The Seahawks believed that, in today’s market, with salaries soaring for starting quarterbacks, the right decision was to pay the money, per sources,” Schefter reported. “Now Geno Smith will represent a value to them – or any other team that decides to reach out to see if it can acquire Smith via trade. But Seattle now has locked in Smith, and Smith has locked in his $12.7 million.”

12forlife

Reaction score
I do think this would be the year to get a guy, have him sit behind Geno for a year, have a bit of QB competition in the future.

But… to grab the 4th or 5th ranked guy at 16 is a bit hard to fathom.

Later rounds? I’m down.
Yes you look at the 4-6th guys @ #16 because this is the year that the prospects are available.
Please look ahead at next years QB options. I'll let you know Quinn Ewers & Sanders is next years QB1 & QB2. Then not much behind them as of now?

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
Yes you look at the 4-6th guys @ #16 because this is the year that the prospects are available.
Please look ahead at next years QB options. I'll let you know Quinn Ewers & Sanders is next years QB1 & QB2. Then not much behind them as of now?
Very true 12for….

If I absolutely had to guess, JS trades back and gets one of the mid-tier guys in a late second round (from trading back) or 3rd round. Perhaps it’s someone he loves and knows he can land them late.

But if we take a guy at 16, I have no doubts he’ll be a baller.

This draft and the anticipation leading up to it is…nuts.

12forlife

Reaction score
Very true 12for….

If I absolutely had to guess, JS trades back and gets one of the mid-tier guys in a late second round (from trading back) or 3rd round. Perhaps it’s someone he loves and knows he can land them late.

But if we take a guy at 16, I have no doubts he’ll be a baller.

This draft and the anticipation leading up to it is…nuts.
Bud my Anxiety is @ 💯!!
So if they decide to pass on JJ/Penix/Nix, and build the trenches, and overall defense then look @ Jordan Travis rd 3-4 i'ld be ok with that.
Travis is the same size as Mahomes, shows alot of the same intangibles, no Travis don't have Mahomes arm strength, but I do believe it is NFL quality.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Geno can still be traded for those unaware. He is not guaranteed to be on the roster with this deadline, just more likely.

Both JS & MM have been very non-committal with Geno. They keep bringing up Drew whenever the QB conversation comes up which is very telling as he isn't even under contract.

I think they obviously value a bird in the hand here. You can't just dump Geno and have nothing at QB. He has value. The Steelers are eyeing him as a potential trade partner.

I like the option of going with Drew or a lower cost bridge taking a likely step back so you can legit go after a QB in 2025. Geno keeps you in the middle, which makes things much harder.
This x 💯

Winning 8-10 games with Geno makes it much harder to move forward.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Knowing Geno is a better option than anyone off the FA market, INCLUDING LOCK, and wanting him here while we develop a long term solution at QB through the draft, DOES NOT MAKE SOMEONE A GENO APOLOGIST. This is the consistent short-sighted attitude knee-jerk reactionaries like you take. You act like someone who still wants Geno around think he's a long term solution. No one, NO ONE, who wants Geno here believes he's the answer, with complete consistency. The Chiefs kept Alex Smith while they developed Mahomes. A good mentor is extremely undervalued in this league.

Baltimore isn't infallible they've had 17 winning seasons 3 seasons of 8-8 and 8 losing seasons and were 8-9 as recently as 2021.
Look at the Patriots also

Parallax

Reaction score
Everybody can agree that Smith is not the future . If they keep him as the starter ; it's because they know he won't be a detriment and can still help win . Usually a team's success hinges on the success of the QB . If he should play well enough to help the Hawks post another 9 or 10 win season , then that's all they want from him . I still think the Hawks are looking at 2025 as their launch point for a real run . imo
I don't particularly want a 9 or 10 win season, only to get blown out in the wildcard game. If we don't have a team that make a deep run, I'd rather dump bad contracts, absorb cap hits, give young guys a lot of playing time and maximize our chances for 2025 and beyond. We've done enough mediocrity. I thought Carroll's motto should have been "Mediocrity Today!, Mediocrity Tomorrow!, Mediocrity FOREVAHH!!!!!"

Maulbert

Reaction score
This x 💯

Winning 8-10 games with Geno makes it much harder to move forward.
Alex Smith's statline in 2017:

505/341/4042/26/5/104.7

Smith made the Pro Bowl, Chiefs finished 10-6 and made the playoffs. Alex Smith was traded January 30th of 2018.

Do you think the Chiefs hesitated to get rid of Smith because he won 10 games and played well?

Optimus25

Reaction score
And the next year, the 49ers drafted Solomon Thomas at #3, while the Chiefs took Mahomes at #10. Things turn out differently, and the 49ers could have had (instead of faced) Mahomes in the SB. Our prior decision-making structure normalized not drafting QB's for instant gratification. It seems like that's going to change starting this year (hopefully at least).
I admitted you’re damned either way very often. Why not just go with bird in the hand who gets you to the playoffs consistently (ok brink last year) because the glaring, resounding, obvious deficiency on this team is defense. Swing for the first four rounds to fill those holes and even if 1.5 hit we are a playoffs team next year. Miss on QBOTF and we are so far behind the curve it’s crazy and as i alluded earlier, who knows what dominos then fall to allow divisional teams to fill holes.

I pretty much thought i summed it up when I’ve said Mahomes couldn’t carry this defense to the Super Bowl. That’s a foundational argument to my viewpoint. How many top tier picks can we gamble on QB and still be able to return this defense to even slightly above league average? I say none at this point.