Geno’s Back

Ozzy

Reaction score
Lots not get started in the whole JS wouldn't over pay for value
Lockett $28 mil for a #3 WR?
Adams $27 mil for a broken safety?
Dissly $10 mil for a inline blocking TE?
Diggs $21 mil for slowing average Saftey?.
To be honest with you I think JS should be on the hot seat aswell, those are absolutely moronic cap hits for what we are getting in return.

I think you’re right but the fact the team decided to go all in on John and fire Pete leads me to believe Pete maybe pushed for a few of those. John saying he can finally be the guy to lead a team as well. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me.

12forlife

Reaction score
Pete wasn't signing the checks or working out the contracts though. That's just not a HC job. Now was Pete pushing for some or all of those guys maybe? I doubt he was banging the table to be paying those players listed above double or more their market value.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pete wasn't signing the checks or working out the contracts though. That's just not a HC job. Now was Pete pushing for some or all of those guys maybe? I doubt he was banging the table to be paying those players listed above double or more their market value.
But by all accounts he was John’s boss so even if he wasn’t signing the checks it’s very likely he played a massive roll in those moves. It was just a unique situation to have the head coach be the GMs boss. I truly think Pete played a bigger role in this stuff than we thought. I could easily be wrong though too lol

Parallax

Reaction score
It's the right move. It doesn't at all preclude the team from drafting a qb this year if Grubb gets a shot at Penix. At this point I'd say that's likely their plan, along with letting Lock sign somewhere else if he chooses to. Whether Penix is there when we select or not is a huge question mark. Everybody in the league knows that if he's there, we will select him. That's not a good recipe for success, as every potential trade partner will jack up their price and anyone considering him in the first will be ready to pounce.
I'm not in the league. Obviously just a fan. But I don't know it.

I think it's a huge leap to assume we'd draft Penix just because we have his college OC. Or that we even necessarily take a QB at 16. I think it's a good bet we'll draft one before the end of round 7. Beyond that, I can see a lot of possibilities. If someone like Brock Bowers fell to us, you think we're taking a QB? I don't. I also don't know that we'd take Penix, Nix, McCarthy or Rattler in round 1. I could see one or more of these guys falling to round 3, where maybe we use one of our picks.

Parallax

Reaction score
I like it. Geno has proven he can make the throws and be a top 10 QB in this league if given enough time. He is still accurate and has a big arm. If we can shore up this offensive line and buy him time with motions and misdirection, he could easily have a year like he did in 22’
Given enough time? Like by age 50?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
But by all accounts he was John’s boss so even if he wasn’t signing the checks it’s very likely he played a massive roll in those moves. It was just a unique situation to have the head coach be the GMs boss. I truly think Pete played a bigger role in this stuff than we thought. I could easily be wrong though too lol
Pete was the VP of Football Operations. John‘s job was to follow Pete’s lead.

Judging from Pete’s final presser, John disagreed enough to get under his skin. The snark in the ‘he’ll get his chance to make the big calls’ comment was evidence of that.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pete was the VP of Football Operations. John‘s job was to follow Pete’s lead.

Judging from Pete’s final presser, John disagreed enough to get under his skin. The snark in the ‘he’ll get his chance to make the big calls’ comment was evidence of that.

Agreed. I wasn’t sure before but the presser was telling.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not in the league. Obviously just a fan. But I don't know it.

I think it's a huge leap to assume we'd draft Penix just because we have his college OC. Or that we even necessarily take a QB at 16. I think it's a good bet we'll draft one before the end of round 7. Beyond that, I can see a lot of possibilities. If someone like Brock Bowers fell to us, you think we're taking a QB? I don't. I also don't know that we'd take Penix, Nix, McCarthy or Rattler in round 1. I could see one or more of these guys falling to round 3, where maybe we use one of our picks.

I’m team QB but man if Bowers fell I’d sprint to the podium lol

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Geno represents good value for the money at this point. This would allow you to trade him later on. Keep your options open this early in the year.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Defense Bottom 5 YPC
Defense Bottom 2 Yds
Defense Bottom 2 Rushing TDs
Defense Bottom 11 Passing Yards
Defense Bottom 10 QB Rate
Defense Bottom 8 1st%
Defense Bottom 8 CMP%
Defense Bottom 10 Yds/Att

Offense Bottom 10 in:
Rush yards

You guys are just wrong. Geno isn't the problem. He never has been.
Correct, the Seahawks were UNWATCHABLE because of exactly this. The defense has been putrid for 6 years in a row. Geno is limited but good nuff for next year where we need to fix both lines in the worst way.

Parallax

Reaction score
Geno represents good value for the money at this point. This would allow you to trade him later on. Keep your options open this early in the year.
Maybe. If we don't trade Geno, it will leave me questioning Schneider's judgment. I don't see the value of running Geno out there again in 2024. Another mediocre season under a mediocre QB gets us nothing but a year older and a year closer to having to pay the guys on rookie contracts taken with the Wilson picks. Would rather go for broke with a rookie or with Lock and either exceed expectations or suck but open cap space and acquire draft capital for 2025 and beyond.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Maybe. If we don't trade Geno, it will leave me questioning Schneider's judgment. I don't see the value of running Geno out there again in 2024. Another mediocre season under a mediocre QB gets us nothing but a year older and a year closer to having to pay the guys on rookie contracts taken with the Wilson picks. Would rather go for broke with a rookie or with Lock and either exceed expectations or suck but open cap space and acquire draft capital for 2025 and beyond.
I'd question his judgment if he opened this team up to sucking for cap space and slightly more draft capital, honestly.

Losing begets losing. The great teams don't lose much. Team Mike Macdonald just came from? They don't lose much either. They certainly don't open themselves up to being significantly worse just so they can have a more fun offseason a year down the road.

That mediocre quarterback has clear upside, and was clearly NOT mediocre just a year ago. I'd hate to have a defeatist front office who doesn't see upside where it clearly exists.

I see the value in winning in 2024. I don't understand how people don't, unless they're playing Mental Madden and obsessing over their dream rebuild instead of the real results that these real men will have to achieve to justify the continuation of their careers.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I don't see this team winning with or without Geno. With no cap space, new headcoach new coordinator's we are in a re build. Just not a complete over haul. I think John brought back Geno to have a chance at trading him before the the draft. Basically to keep his options open. Paying him now doesn't necessarily mean he will be the Qb at the beginning of 2024 season.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't see this team winning with or without Geno. With no cap space, new headcoach new coordinator's we are in a re build. Just not a complete over haul. I think John brought back Geno to have a chance at trading him before the the draft. Basically to keep his options open. Paying him now doesn't necessarily mean he will be the Qb at the beginning of 2024 season.
It's definitely not set in stone, but he's not trading Geno for nothing and this team absolutely has a path to winning.

If you all thought we had horrendous, stupid idiots coaching the team before yet we won more than we lost both years despite everything sucking, then yeah. This team can win, and they can win with Geno. Cap space doesn't win games, and we'll have a good amount that we can create regardless. 2025 forward is very healthy financially.

I can tell you now, they ain't looking to lose games. They're going to have a 2024 where they play to win. It'll set the foundation for when their assets really open up their options in 2025 and further years.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I feel like we’re all arguing but everyone is partially right. I can guarantee you if a QB falls to 16 that John feels is a special franchise guy they’re not passing on him because of 34 year old Geno smith. So you can keep saying it’s ridiculous to move on from Smith but if the right guy falls there isn’t a gm in the league who passes on that for Geno. Not one. But, if they don’t see that guy there then they are perfectly fine rolling with Geno because he’s a slightly better than average QB and you have a ton of other needs. That’s not a slight on Geno either. To cover the extremes he’s in the 10-20 range and that’s solid.

Not sure if this made sense as it’s late regardless I think everyone is more aligned on this debate than we probably realize. Maybe I’m wrong too. Always possible.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I feel like we’re all arguing but everyone is partially right. I can guarantee you if a QB falls to 16 that John feels is a special franchise guy they’re not passing on him because of 34 year old Geno smith. So you can keep saying it’s ridiculous to move on from Smith but if the right guy falls there isn’t a gm in the league who passes on that for Geno. Not one. But, if they don’t see that guy there then they are perfectly fine rolling with Geno because he’s a slightly better than average QB and you have a ton of other needs. That’s not a slight on Geno either. To cover the extremes he’s in the 10-20 range and that’s solid.

Not sure if this made sense as it’s late regardless I think everyone is more aligned on this debate than we probably realize. Maybe I’m wrong too. Always possible.
I agree. John isn't passing on the future for a stopgap. No one should be arguing against that point, even people who love Geno. What IS ridiculous would be moving on from Geno just because... I don't know, a little bit of cap space, or thinking Lock is actually better than Geno... or just outright trying to lose for rebuild purposes.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
It's definitely not set in stone, but he's not trading Geno for nothing and this team absolutely has a path to winning.

If you all thought we had horrendous, stupid idiots coaching the team before yet we won more than we lost both years despite everything sucking, then yeah. This team can win, and they can win with Geno. Cap space doesn't win games, and we'll have a good amount that we can create regardless. 2025 forward is very healthy financially.

I can tell you now, they ain't looking to lose games. They're going to have a 2024 where they play to win. It'll set the foundation for when their assets really open up their options in 2025 and further years.
I don't know who said we had idiots coaching this team because I sure didn't. Hurt was the weak link, waldren was average at best. Who's to say now that we won't have idiots coaching now. Now I'm not saying we will but we don't know what we have in the coaching staff. We have a head coach that's never been till now. An OC that's never been in the nfl. And special teams coach that's never been in the NFL. There is alot of unknown. Along with new systems, there will be a learning curve. With only 17 games how soon can they catch up.
No one expects them to try and lose any games the odds are just against them. Trading Geno would be a smart move IF we can generate any buzz for him. This season is at best 8 to 9 wins if we are lucky.

Parallax

Reaction score

They won't be looking to lose. I agree with that. However, I don't think they'll be willing to continue to mortgage the future, the way Carroll did these last few years. I'm not just talking about the Williams trade. I'm also talking about the restructures that pushed salary into future years. That's why we're in such tough shape in 2024 and, unless we address it, the same thing will continue into 2025.

We're going to have to let guys go. Off the top of my head, I'd say Adams, Diggs, Bellore are gone. Probably Dissley. Maybe even Myers. I don't know that we can afford to re-sign Fant, which is a big loss. He was our best weapon at tight end. They'll try to re-sign Parkinson. They're trying to re-sign Williams and maybe they'll be successful but we have to clear significant cap space. Williams is talented and still has gas in the tank. But if he wants to push for top dollar, he'll have to go elsewhere.

Given that we're going to lose substantial talent, I think it makes sense to trade Geno and get whatever we can. Do it before the bonus kicks in so the new team has to pay it. Or trade him after he's on our books and then get a higher pick for him (if you can).

It's worth noting that the Seahawks were a team that went out of its way to avoid mortgaging the future until Pete got old. Then his attitude changed. "Win now, win now, win now!" To me, it sounds like the ranting of a spoiled toddler. "It's mine!, it's mine!, it's mine!" "The team is mine and you can't take it from me!" A lot of fans agreed.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Exactly. But I think he will be traded by March 18th.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Here is the thing about Geno. It is very hard to justify cutting him at his current level. Any established GM that did so would quickly find themselves in hot water with management. We are not even sure how much of a leash John Schneider has with Jody Allen. It's likely that they did the analysis and found replacing him with a Kirk Cousins sort of figure would cost much more than just keeping him.

Now, Geno the player doesn't offer much upside for us in the future. What you see, you're going to get. Geno is a QB that does have some good tools. He's accurate, his arm isn't terrible though it's clearly a tier or two below top talents in the NFL. Smith is sneakily mobile, but his mobility and improv skills are below the best in the NFL.

The issue with Geno, is his he is yet another Seahawks QB that isn't great at the LOS. I question his ability to read defenses at a high level. I saw him miss a lot of really obvious blitzes coming at him. Just guys coming naked off the edge, didn't even point them out at the LOS. His decision making also left a lot to be desired at points. He reminds me of peak Dalton back when he was relevant. On paper everything looks alright, but things look a little funky when you see them play. He also tends to disappear for huge stretches at a time and struggles in the endzone.

Geno has limited upside for the future. The way John Schneider talks about him seems to mirror what a lot of fans say, "it could be worse". Wasn't a whole lot of enthusiasm about him from JS in press conferences.

Latest posts