Geno’s Back

keasley45

Reaction score
Nobody is defending the defense but almost nobody believes that the Seahawks would have a snowball in hells chance against ANY team that was in the playoff this year. The OFFENSE certainly could not even hold their own let alone compensate for the defense.

Imagine IF the Seahawks had made the postseason this year. They are not beating a single team and almost every game would be a blowout. Geno cannot carry the team and MOST QBs cannot carry their team. But he is also not doing anything most any UDFAs couldn't provide in the exact same circumstances.

He is, simply put, a waste of time.

if i remember correctly, the lions, cowboys and eagles were in the playoffs. Right?

Geno beat the lions.
He would have beat the Cowboys if not for the fact that our defense necer stopped them. And Geno's backup beat the Eagles.

So in reality, we could have beaten half the teams in the playoffs.

The Niners? Loss
The Pack? Pickem
The Rams? Do they beat us three times?

I get that you dont like the dude, but dont let if obscure fact.

keasley45

Reaction score
1. Russ in his prime routinely made amazing plays when the oline failed him. His escapability and ability to create something out of nothing is what made him great. 2. Many have been ruined, but the great ones are able to rise above it. Again, that's why they are considered great. 3. Fear of failure is the worst motivation for not doing something that there is. By that logic, no rookie qb would ever get drafted. It's long past time to put our
No qb behind a line as bad as ours rated as highly as Geno did. That, by definition, is rising above circumstance. Just because he wasnt scrambling around behind the line for 15 seconds doesn't mean he wasn't succeeding despite them. Mina Kimes referenced the same and even mentioned Russ.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
He wasn’t too 5 thought. Hugh broke it down about a year ago. His stats where top 5 for about 5-6 games, then fell off dramatically.

If he was half as good as some here think, we could trade him for a program changing haul of picks. But no one besides a small percentage of Seahawks fans, even think he is an average starter in the nfl.
Passer Rating he was #5, QBR #7, ANY/A #9, Success Rate #11. If you averaged out where he sat in a lot of these rating metrics, he averaged out to somewhere in the #5-8 range. (And in that range was Daniel Jones and Jimmy Garoppolo, both of whom fell off so hard in 2023 that neither of them is anywhere near the conversation for a better 2 year span than Geno).

If you want to look at more traditional stats, Geno was #1 in completion percentage, #4 in TD passes, #10 in YPG.

The point is, as I said, he was close enough to top 5 that if your argument is that Seattle is being held back by Geno's 'ceiling' when his ceiling was one of the top QBs in the league, regardless of whether you think he was actually #5 or not, then your argument seems to be no team can win unless they have one of the top 2 QBs in the league... but those guys are already signed, so what is your answer? Tank until they retire?

Geno can't be traded for a 'program changing' haul of picks for reasons that have nothing to do with how he played the past two years. He's 34, most of the teams who are truly QB desperate are going to be able to draft one, and guys like Kirk Cousins (who hasn't actually played better than Geno these past 2 years but has much more extensive history of being an above average starter) are also coming onto the FA market.

If Geno Smith was Baker Mayfield's age, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Meanwhile, everyone is fully expecting Tampa Bay to commit to Mayfield based on a season where he performed essentially the same as Geno and coming off a season in Carolina/Los Angeles where he was far, far worse.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Close enough to top 5 isn't top 5. And almost good enough isn't good enough. Last time I checked, the goal is to be the best team in the league and win a sb. If it takes a top 5 qb to do that, then that's what what we need to be striving for, not settling for [arguably] top ten. Russ was top 3. Do you even watch Seahawks games? Geno routinely goes three quarters without even scoring. I mean, come on man. I don't understand why so many here want to settle? Wow. Just, wow.

keasley45

Reaction score
Close enough to top 5 isn't top 5. And almost good enough isn't good enough. Last time I checked, the goal is to be the best team in the league and win a sb. If it takes a top 5 qb to do that, then that's what what we need to be striving for, not settling for [arguably] top ten. Russ was top 3. Do you even watch Seahawks games? Geno routinely goes three quarters without even scoring. I mean, come on man. I don't understand why so many here want to settle? Wow. Just, wow.
I can't tell if this is serious or not.

xray

Reaction score
Smith will probably be the starter this season , which is fine . Even if the Hawks pick up a QB in the draft , Smith will be the starter . The Hawks are in the same boat as many other teams . They all want a gr8 QB for now and the future . The reality is that there's only about 6 or 8 high quality to elite QBs in the entire league . The other 2 dozen teams have to settle for what's left ; and will likely watch the SB from their recliners . Until a better QB is found , Smith is the guy .

Jville

Reaction score
I think a little continuity to work with at quarterback and wide receiver and running back would be helpful during an ongoing transition.

bigcc

Reaction score
Luck physically battered and destroyed and out of the league far too soon. Moreover, we aren't going to have a high enough pick. Brice Young's offensive line was horrible, not just his receiving group.
First of all, I'm pretty sure luck just the past week or two talked about his mental state being more of a reason for retiring than physical, like he was putting football before family kind of thing.

And even if I'm thinking of someone/something else, let's say it was physical, do you recall how he ran? He hit people like a LB, that has nothing to do with OL when he's going head first vs lb's/safeties full speed.

bigcc

Reaction score
if i remember correctly, the lions, cowboys and eagles were in the playoffs. Right?

Geno beat the lions.
He would have beat the Cowboys if not for the fact that our defense necer stopped them. And Geno's backup beat the Eagles.

So in reality, we could have beaten half the teams in the playoffs.

The Niners? Loss
The Pack? Pickem
The Rams? Do they beat us three times?

I get that you dont like the dude, but dont let if obscure fact.
Don't forget we would have beaten the rams the second game (and made the playoffs with that win) if lock hadn't come in and gifted the rams the game winning drive, or if Myers hits the game winning kick at the end that geno came back in and brought him to.

We would have played the lions if neither myers/lock blow the game in Detroit where we'd already won, and if we won that we'd have played the bucs which was absolutely winnable.

https://x.com/NFL/status/1726391139635495380?s=20

Lock doing lock things, and dudes still want him back, unbelievable

2/6 3 yds and game losing int wooooo

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Why be rude about it? Clearly, yes, the games are being watched by them. They're bringing additional statistical analysis into their posts. Why do you feel the need to dismiss that as ignorance rather than a well-sourced argument that differs with your own view?

bigcc

Reaction score
Why be rude about it? Clearly, yes, the games are being watched by them. They're bringing additional statistical analysis into their posts. Why do you feel the need to dismiss that as ignorance rather than a well-sourced argument that differs with your own view?
Can only speak for myself, but given the nature of posting with strangers on a message board, it's very easy for throwaway/joking remarks to seem much more hostile/rude than intended when originally writing it.

But maybe that's just me and he was intending to be rude lol.

Speaking of well sourced though, I'd love to know what metric he meant russ was top 3 with, because I don't know if he ever was.

Best qb in franchise history bar none and I'd sacrifice the entire draft to get 23 year old russ, but I don't know if you could say he was a top 3 qb for any significantly memorable period of time.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Can only speak for myself, but given the nature of posting with strangers on a message board, it's very easy for throwaway/joking remarks to seem much more hostile/rude than intended when originally writing it.

But maybe that's just me and he was intending to be rude lol.

Speaking of well sourced though, I'd love to know what metric he meant russ was top 3 with, because I don't know if he ever was.

Best qb in franchise history bar none and I'd sacrifice the entire draft to get 23 year old russ, but I don't know if you could say he was a top 3 qb for any significantly memorable period of time.
Russ being top-3 at any point in a league where he shared the majority of his career with Brady, Mahomes, Brees, and Rodgers is a hell of a stretch. Honestly, a bigger stretch than Geno being top-10 when aggregating the past 2 seasons.

keasley45

Reaction score
He wasn’t too 5 thought. Hugh broke it down about a year ago. His stats were top 5 for about 5-6 games, then fell off dramatically.

If he was half as good as some here think, we could trade him for a program changing haul of picks. But no one besides a small percentage of Seahawks fans, even think he is an average starter in the nfl.
If we could trade him for a program changing haul of picks, his name would be mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers or Allen. Nobody . NOBODY claimed he was that.

Just imagine how good he was if he still got an MVP vote after his game fell off 'drammatically'.

bigcc

Reaction score
Russ being top-3 at any point in a league where he shared the majority of his career with Brady, Mahomes, Brees, and Rodgers is a hell of a stretch. Honestly, a bigger stretch than Geno being top-10 when aggregating the past 2 seasons.
I agree with you 100 percent, and I don't even remotely mean that as a slight towards russ

keasley45

Reaction score
Weeks 10-18... Geno Smith ranked:

-5th in PFFs passing grade
-3rd in big time throws
-2nd fewest interceptions
-11td / 2 int

And he did this with second lowest average time to throw and an anemic running game, in large part because of the line in front of him. And a wr corp that finished top 10 worst in drop %...

- borrowed from toffees thread...

His detractors rag on how he collapsed in 2022, but say nothing about how he finished in 2023. They used his finish to 2022 to predict he'd revert back to 'NYJ' Geno. Yet are completely silent on what his finish to 2023 might predict in terms of positives for 2024 - only that he should be cut, traded, or otherwise moved on from.

Trying to make this make sense to the Geno haters

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
If we could trade him for a program changing haul of picks, his name would be mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers or Allen. Nobody . NOBODY claimed he was that.

Just imagine how good he was if he still got an MVP vote after his game fell off 'drammatically'.
Stafford and myles Garrett got mvp votes last year

NFL legend Mark Moseley (kicker) won mvp outright in 1982 going 20/21 with a long of 48 in 9 games

A singular mvp vote doesn't mean anything, and was probably someone in seattle sports media who thought it would be hilarious if geno got a vote before russ.

Just in the past few days I've seen comments suggesting a return of like a 2nd and 5th, another entire post suggesting we trade geno and 16 for fields and 10.

He's closer to reality than you are by claiming that NOBODY is suggesting anything like that

bigcc

Reaction score
Weeks 10-18... Geno Smith ranked:

-5th in PFFs passing grade
-3rd in big time throws
-2nd fewest interceptions
-11td / 2 int

And he did this with second lowest average time to throw and an anemic running game, in large part because of the line in front of him.

- borrowed from toffees thread...

His detractors rag on how he collapsed in 2022, but say nothing about how he finished in 2023. They used his finish to 2022 to predict he'd revert back to 'NYJ' Geno. Yet are completely silent on what his finish to 2023 might predict in terms of positives for 2024 - only that he should be cut, traded, or otherwise moved on from.

Trying to make this make sense to the Geno haters

Some very specifically cherry picked stats here lol.

I don't think his play is/was the reason to move on from him at all, but I like your pointing out how he had those oddly specific statistical rankings DESPITE the OL/run game, and conveniently leaving the wr's out of the equation

keasley45

Reaction score
Stafford and myles Garrett got mvp votes last year

NFL legend Mark Moseley (kicker) won mvp outright in 1982 going 20/21 with a long of 48 in 9 games

A singular mvp vote doesn't mean anything, and was probably someone in seattle sports media who thought it would be hilarious if geno got a vote before russ.

Just in the past few days I've seen comments suggesting a return of like a 2nd and 5th, another entire post suggesting we trade geno and 16 for fields and 10.

He's closer to reality than you are by claiming that NOBODY is suggesting anything like that
Ok. An MVP vote means nothing? Got it.

Because, you know, any average qb can get one. Happens all the time.

You use stats from a strike shortened year and when the performance Mosley put forward had never been seen in nfl history. Mosley absolutley WAS the best thing in the league that year.

Seriously??

The fact that you had to stretch that far speaks volumes.

bigcc

Reaction score
Ok. An MVP vote means nothing? Got it.

Because, you know, any average qb can get one. Happens all the time.

You use stats from a strike shortened year and when the performance Mosley put forward had never been seen in nfl history. Mosley absolutley WAS the best thing in the league that year.

Seriously??

The fact that you had to stretch that far speaks volumes.
Stretch that far? All I did was Google stupid mvp votes and I included that because I thought it was humorous,

Please try to explain Stafford missing two games and throwing for 3900 24/11 is worthy of being the most valuable player in professional football.

Or did I stretch too far mentioning him too? There a pre-season ap mvp vote I missed?

keasley45

Reaction score
Some very specifically cherry picked stats here lol.

I don't think his play is/was the reason to move on from him at all, but I like your pointing out how he had those oddly specific statistical rankings DESPITE the OL/run game, and conveniently leaving the wr's out of the equation

Bro. Let me illuminate something for you. His receivers could have been Terrel Owens, Jerry Rice, and Steve Austin. If your line allows a rusher in your face at the third highest rate in the league (statistical fact), it doesnt matter.

And, because you probably didnt know this, Seattle had the 9th worst wr corp in the league in terms of drop rate. NINTH WORST. That means there were 24 teams with more efficient wr corps. And that was supposed to help Geno?

Its like claiming a driver should have won a race because he had a Lambo, but neglecting that the tires were flat. And im cherry picking??

And constantly down playing his start to 2022 while holding up how he finished ISNT cherry picking??

Splain that one to me.