Gary Patterson’s 4-2-5 defense

Jville

Reaction score
I've speculated that Pete Carroll tried to incorporate features and migrate toward a 4-2-5 defense because competition for available talent dictated so.

I don't pretend to know the details of what influenced Mike Macdonald's development. But, his defense seems to have a lot in common.

I do think the study of the 4-2-5 defense facilitates a better understanding of NFL trends and game to game competition.

“His defenses do a really good job of mixing zone with man, mixing fronts, mixing blitz in kind of at the right time,” Herman said. “He’s going to scout you, you know, until his eyeballs come out. He’s going to know when the back is 6 centimeters shaded to the left, you’re 92% likely to get this run or this pass or whatever it is. You’ve got to be cognizant of all of your tendencies. You can’t overthink it either because if you’ve got a tendency and that tendency is working, there’s some merit to it as well.”

...............................................................................................................................................
LINKS:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...terson-tcu-horned-frogs-defense-blitzes-4-2-5

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...e-gary-patterson-4-2-5-how-to-stop-the-spread
......................................................................................................................................................

And, for those who like to read, sturdy, consult and enjoy details, the 1999 Horned Frog Defense Play Book

....................................................................................................................................................

P.S. There is plenty of room for additional posts linking text, clips and you tube presentations.

Last edited:

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
Good stuff. I remember Pete talking about utilizing 4-2-5 concepts before they switched to the 3-4.

MM likes to use what they call cover 6. Basically, one half of the field quarters (cover 4) and one half halves (cover 2). They disguise it by starting with 3 safeties, so the QB won't know which side of the field is which until the ball is snapped.

A lot of what MM does is based on the premise of showing one thing and running another, e.g. line stunts, post-snap rotations. It would not surprise me to see mixed man/zone coverages like the 4-2-5 as well.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
The one and only coach retained from last years staff is Karl Scott who previously worked under Nick Saban. Can't wait to see what this new coaching staff comes up with. It's intriguing.