Gambling on a QB this draft

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If the QB crop isn't as solid this year, and our bright and shiny new pick #9 won't garner as high a value (reaching) for a QB, what draft pick would you say is worth giving up for a QB? Many of you will no doubt say "none this year." But some of you might jump on it with Ridder, Corral, or others. But if you take a QB who isn't stellar, why sacrifice that pick that could be used on a position of need in a deep draft at other positions?

As a reminder, here are the picks>>>
  • Round one, number 9 overall (in trade from Broncos)
    Round two, number 40 overall (in trade from Broncos)
    Round two, number 41 overall
    Round three, number 72 overall
    Round four, number 107 overall
    Round five, pick 151 overall
    Round five, pick 152 overall (in trade from Broncos)
    Round seven, pick 227 overall

If the need at QB is to replace Russ--which will be difficult in many ways--there probably isn't even a prospect worth taking. But if the someone with less overall skill would do, what pick would you be willing to give up, gambling on such a QB?

Would you give pick 40 or 41?

Pick 72?

After that, you're not likely even getting someone who would start over Lock.

Elemas

Reaction score
If I were PC or JS and were dead set on drafting a guy this year, I’d probably try to get Corral in round 2.

It’s not wise to plan for a top 5 pick to get Shroud or Young (or any other highly regarded QB) next year but, I’d roll with Lock and be looking at next year’s draft for a QB with the notion that we may or may not be able to grab one of those guys. Deeper QB class maybe? Increase the odds of taking a guy you really like while taking advantage of this years multi-dimensional draft (sans QB).

MAYBE…they have a guy in this years draft that they feel that way about.

I’m beating around the bush. Here it is:

I’ll probably choke a kitten out if they take a QB in round 1 this year. There. I said it. Protect the animals PC and JS.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Agreed that #9 should not be spent on a QB. This reminds me of the 2011 draft. Look at some of the players that went after people like Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, and Blaine Gabbert.

I'd look at Ridder with one of the second round picks. But if a top corner and center are there at those two picks, going that way makes more sense to me.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
nanomoz":2ptuprjh said:
Agreed that #9 should not be spent on a QB. This reminds me of the 2011 draft. Look at some of the players that went after people like Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, and Blaine Gabbert.

I'd look at Ridder with one of the second round picks. But if a top corner and center are there at those two picks, going that way makes more sense to me.
This

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is the worst QB draft in a decade, and next year's is suppose to be one of the best in a decade.

We're in a rebuild, so no need to waste picks on a reach QB. Build up the rest of the roster with your 2022 picks and cap space, and go hard after a young QB next year.

So gambling? No. That's what bad organizations do who are desperate for a QB year after year, and they stink year after year.

Be smart, or else you just wasted your draft capital.

Elemas

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wlpkkpm said:
This is the worst QB draft in a decade, and next year's is suppose to be one of the best in a decade.

We're in a rebuild, so no need to waste picks on a reach QB. Build up the rest of the roster with your 2022 picks and cap space, and go hard after a young QB next year.

So gambling? No. That's what bad organizations do who are desperate for a QB year after year, and they stink year after year.

Be smart, or else you just wasted your draft capital.

100%

ivotuk

Reaction score
No QBs this year before the 3rd round. I'd take a flyer on either Sam Howell, who is a miniature Beast Mode, or Ridder, who can do it all fairly well. Depending on who's there in the 3rd (should we end up with a 3rd round pick), I might even wait until the 4th.

Both have the College Stats that indicate they could be very good NFL QBs, and just need to sit a year or two in the Patrick Mahomes mold.

Pickett, Willis, Corral, all good College QBs, but will never be great in the NFL. Average at best. With Howell and Ridder, you get more bang for the buck.

I don't see any QB in this draft that can come out and be better than Geno or Lock in 2022

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
So unless we find a franchise QB, why waste any pick on a QB?

I think I'm sensing some consensus from you few so far, but what about those who would like to see us take a QB... are there any out there?

Elemas

Reaction score
I thought y’all said PCs offense only needs a game manager?

I don’t get the hoopla now…

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
GemCity":2ef1fgd1 said:

Yeah seriously. Why is QB such a priority now? Thought any old game manager was the ticket.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
GemCity":2cjdvew2 said:

A very small minority of posters actually said that any dogshit quarterback will do.

When informed people say "game manager," they mean high-efficiency structured passers. Matt Ryan, for example.

Why has nearly every single post of your since the trade been nothing but obtuse?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Take Eric Barriere at 107 or 151. We will be set at QB for a few years while we rebuild. He probably won't be worth a second contract, as the wear and tear of the NFL will take its toll.

A Walter Payton award winner, he has the wheels to keep defenses guessing, like a young Russ, the arm to make the throws, and isn't afraid of the middle of the field. He absolutely tore up the FCS, and performed admirably in his opportunities against the FBS.

He holds the record for yards in a half, at 487, and, went for 600 passing yards and 7 touchdowns against Idaho, as well as an additional rushing TD. His senior year he went 361 of 552 for 5,070 yards, and a 65.4% completions rate. 46 TDs, 8 ints.

Let's capture lightning in a bottle for the second time.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BigSkyFB/status/1434665384137805831[/tweet]

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/11/eric-barriere/

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Personally, I would trade out of #9

I would try for a trade with either the Saints or the Steelers for their first and third round picks this year, or, preferably, with Detroit for their 1st round next year, and second this year.

There is a good chance that Detroit's 2023 first rounder would net us our next franchise guy.

Obviously this requires someone to be there at 9 that the other teams want, but if Detroit hasn't taken whatever QB Pittsburgh and New Orleans want, they might be willing to do the deal. I mean, look what SF gave up for Trey Lance.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
We have so many holes to fill before we can even think about a franchise QB. Drew Lock and Colin Kaepernick will serve as bridge QBs for a year or two and we can re-visit this position in 2023 or 2024. Welcome to purgatory.

Elemas

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1k0qqzm9 said:
GemCity":1k0qqzm9 said:

A very small minority of posters actually said that any $h!t quarterback will do.

When informed people say "game manager," they mean high-efficiency structured passers. Matt Ryan, for example.

Why has nearly every single post of your since the trade been nothing but obtuse?

No argument about the nature of my posts. I haven’t been happy with with way this offense has been orchestrated since 2017ish. As the players develop and trust/foundation builds, I believe that an FO should recognize that and capitalize on those strengths.

We didn’t. We’re are rocking with PC and JS. I’m still on-board and like it or not, need to buy into what PC and JS have planned. They did it once…maybe they can do it again.

But cmon man…there were TONS of anti-Russ folks repeatedly stating the same things….only needing a game manager being one of them. We’re in the perfect position NOW to see how that theory pans out. Are we not?

I sense the hesitation though. It’s talk all that game manager stuff but when the opportunity actually arises, let’s get Deshaun Watson or draft a QB instead of rolling with what appears to be a game manager(Lock). Paraphrasing here but…a guy that can hand the ball off and make an occasional pass. Difference between now and then is that we may actually get a chance to see this happen and the sentiment from folks is doom and gloom. Shouldn’t we be happy?

SMDH.

It’s time to get constructive.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Remember how much uncertainty there is the draft process; every pick is a gamble at every position.

The knock on the QBs in this draft is that there isn't a high floor prospect like Luck, but the ceilings are still sky high for most prospects at every position including QB. There's 6 or 7 QBs in this draft who could end up anywhere from franchise QBs to out of the league in two years.

It's also not like QBs are the only volatile position. Pass rushers can miss (Ferrell, Fowler), or DBs (Okudah, Henderson, Horn, Fitzpatrick) or WRs (Ross, White) or heck even Centers (Price, Erving). How do we know that Desmond Ridder is a bigger gamble than say Drake London?

chris98251":1ee7p1zz said:
Trade back nd draft a Kicker, nobody will expect that........ :)
Maybe not in the first but we should absolutely cut Myers and replace him with a cheap rookie. There's a handful of kicking prospects who could go late or will be available as UDFAs that could beat Myers' 73% rate late season at 1/5th the cost.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":1j4lztzc said:
Remember how much uncertainty there is the draft process; every pick is a gamble at every position.

The knock on the QBs in this draft is that there isn't a high floor prospect like Luck, but the ceilings are still sky high for most prospects at every position including QB. There's 6 or 7 QBs in this draft who could end up anywhere from franchise QBs to out of the league in two years.

It's also not like QBs are the only volatile position. Pass rushers can miss (Ferrell, Fowler), or DBs (Okudah, Henderson, Horn, Fitzpatrick) or WRs (Ross, White) or heck even Centers (Price, Erving). How do we know that Desmond Ridder is a bigger gamble than say Drake London?

You're right, but a whiff at QB can set your franchise back 5-7 years, while a whiff at another less important position is only a year roadbump.

We haven't had a top 10 pick since Okung, so sorry I'm not OK with reaching on a QB in this year's draft.

If Pete and John want a project QB? Plenty of them will be available in later rounds. We desperately need this pick to work out, and work out well.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Why is that though, how is Sauce Gardner busting at #9 better than Willis busting at #9? Franchise are only locked into mistakes if they do so themselves; we saw Arizona move on from Josh Rosen after a single season. It seems to me that the actual mistake you are concerned about is not drafting a QB often enough.

In an ideal world we'd trade down a couple of times and mitigate the risk at any position with more selections.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'm okay going with Lock this year. He has the arm talent and physical tools, the question would be can he grok Waldron's offense. If we add more athletes in camp for competition, all the better.

It would be a coup if we find our next QB in the mid-rounds (again) or on our roster already.