Frustrating Former Seahawks

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
I'll second (there were probably more) Christine Michael. It was bad enough to waste a second round pick on a RB when we were already good at that position, but the one we did choose had the worst running instincts I've ever seen. He was basically the anti-Shaun Alexander. I believe we petitioned the league to allow LED arrows on the back of our OLs jerseys so Michael would know not to just run straight into them.
Third. And also because dude's name is "Chris-teen." So frustrating to hear the announcers refer to him as Christin. I always thought he should go by Chrissy just to spare all of us the confusion.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I agree to an extent; like I seriously doubt anyone had intel indicating that McDowell was the level of moron who would ride an ATV without a helmet shortly after signing a multi-million dollar contract. That being said, I think it's telling that Schneider and Carroll reportedly viewed the incident as a cautionary tale and dramatically altered their draft process as a result, rather than just throwing up their arms and saying "well, nobody could have seen THAT coming!". There must have been something in the evaluation process that they felt they either overlooked or didn't give enough importance to. It might have just been a case where certain kinds of people seem to be a magnet for trouble.
I felt the change Carroll and Schneider made was screening players for Cluster B personality disorders and Anti-social (sociopath) tendencies, in high degree. I believe they found out Percy Harvin is a sociopath with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD); the signs were all there. I believe they found out that McDowell also was high in sociopathy along with Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) tendencies. This was a change from Pete's overconfidence that the Seahawks culture, role models, and environment could turn underprivileged young AA men into responsible people; it had worked on many. However, Cluster B and anti-social tendencies are not something that generally change in a person's 20's or 30's, at least not without a LOT of desire that comes from the person themselves. More typically, Cluster B sociopaths will develop skills and strategies that hide their true nature and temporarily fool authority figures until the sociopath is in a position of control. They know how they are and will do nearly anything to avoid a situation that results in them being "officially" diagnosed.

Once they realized what Harvin really was, and did the learning, PC/JS traded Harvin to the Jets for a 6th rounder. Sucker punching Golden Tate the night before the Super Bowl, what kind of person would do that? Oh yes, a sociopathic BPD. Then they repeated the mistake with McDowell and realized he was also a Cluster B sociopath, most likely an NPD, and that the track record wasn't good with those players.

Now that I think about it, that is probably the reason they passed on Jalen Carter last year; Carter seems to check a lot of the Cluster B sociopath boxes, possibly along with NPD.

I've written several other posts on this topic in the past, expounding on the Cluster B issue for Harvin, especially, and also for McDowell. I've also written posts about admitted BPD Brandon Marshall, like the ONLY celebrity EVER to publicly come out and acknowledge this condition. True COURAGE! Kaitlyn Gender can go get a-f***ed, "Courage Award", rubbish, that would go to Brandon Marshall. I'd guess that Marshall is a little lower in sociopathic traits than Harvin and McDowell, PLUS, he sought understanding and help for his condition.

P.S. BPD celebrities... Angelina Jolie checks TONS of the boxes. Poor Brad, he thought with the wrong head.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Greg Olsen. Talk about a forgettable end to his career. And to add insult to injury we had to endure his god-awful voice, hair and outfits for a season as a color analyst.

I mostly feel that way too, but darned if Greg Olsen wasn't correct about the "JV offense" Seattle ran under Carroll/Wilson/Bevell/Schottenheimer. A lot of us, OK, me, weren't ready to truly understand and incorporate that until Russell Wilson left.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'll second (there were probably more) Christine Michael. It was bad enough to waste a second round pick on a RB when we were already good at that position, but the one we did choose had the worst running instincts I've ever seen. He was basically the anti-Shaun Alexander. I believe we petitioned the league to allow LED arrows on the back of our OLs jerseys so Michael would know not to just run straight into them.
Michael had a career per-carry average of 4.3 YPC, not too bad. I thought he didn't get much PT because he was near-useless in the passing game, not understanding blocking assignments, routes, etc. If Christine was on the field, the D knew it was more likely than not a run. Though play action on 1st and 2nd down was a possibility. I do agree in general; Penny had better instincts for not running into the backs of his O-Line.

NoChops

Reaction score
Dave Krieg. I liked him, but he was so hot and cold. If you got the bad version, it was really ugly. And we didn't get his best game vs a Raiders team we had already beaten twice for that AFC Championship game
Thanks for taking one for the team. His name had been in my head reading through the last couple pages here. Solid QB. Great guy, but how many freaking times can you fumble or throw the ball backwards?

JPatera76

Reaction score
Sherman POST NFL or 2024 Sherman. Loved him as a player, will always appreciate what he did as a Seahawk because imo ( post Seahawks he really was injured frequently and rode the bench more than anything) but otherwise the constant negativity to get clicks is tiresome and worn out there’s too many talking heads like it..Skip was or IS enough add in Sharp..and Sherman’s just a younger more educated Skip

OP
OP
Aircrew

Aircrew

Reaction score
Dave Krieg. I liked him, but he was so hot and cold. If you got the bad version, it was really ugly. And we didn't get his best game vs a Raiders team we had already beaten twice for that AFC Championship game
Man, good call, I don't know why I never thought about 'ol Mudbone. I liked him too, but he was the definition of frustrating. When Krieg was hot, he was among the BEST in the League back then. But when he up and decided to lay an egg, ooowweeee, it was B-A-D. I was 10 years old when I started watching the Hawks in 1986 and I still remember noticing how we played up, and down, to our opponents. We'd go into Chicago and beat the Bears. Then, go down to San Diego and give one away to the Chargers. And it always seemed to revolve around how Dave Krieg was playing. Good call on bringing him up, still can't believe I missed him.

King Dog

Reaction score
Agreed. Kreig was sometimes compared to Elway back in the day…but man he had so many rough outings.

Loved his competitive nature. Definitely a love/frustration relationship.
I wonder why they were compared? Elway had a rocket arm, was tall, fast and the first pick in the draft. Krieg was nearly the polar opposite.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Agreed. Kreig was sometimes compared to Elway back in the day…but man he had so many rough outings.

Loved his competitive nature. Definitely a love/frustration relationship.
We would refer to Elway as a "slow white bronco" but then Peyton Manning showed up.

Jac

Reaction score
I wonder why they were compared? Elway had a rocket arm, was tall, fast and the first pick in the draft. Krieg was nearly the polar opposite.
They both became starters for their respective AFC West teams in the 1983 season. I actually remember a comparison segment by Inside the NFL (who has the better young QB?) He's actually my favorite Seahawks QB ever. Nothing hits quite like things do when you're a kid.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
This is easy. Ahman Green. 3rd round pick out of Nebraska in 1998. Cut after two seasons. Went on to have a 12k yards from scrimmage and 74 TDs in his career, mostly with Green Bay. I have lots of PTSD Flashbacks from our 90s drafts, but missing on a guy is easier to take then giving up on a stud that should have logged all those yards and TDs for the team that drafted him.

OP
OP
Aircrew

Aircrew

Reaction score
This is easy. Ahman Green. 3rd round pick out of Nebraska in 1998. Cut after two seasons. Went on to have a 12k yards from scrimmage and 74 TDs in his career, mostly with Green Bay. I have lots of PTSD Flashbacks from our 90s drafts, but missing on a guy is easier to take then giving up on a stud that should have logged all those yards and TDs for the team that drafted him.
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to have to open an old wound in this correction. Green wasn't cut, he was TRADED by Mike Holmgren to Green Bay in 2000, along with a fifth round draft pick for Fred Vinson and a sixth round pick. Vinson blew out his knee playing basketball and never played a down for the Seahawks. Thanks, now I'm going to be in a sour mood all day, lol.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to have to open an old wound in this correction. Green wasn't cut, he was TRADED by Mike Holmgren to Green Bay in 2000, along with a fifth round draft pick for Fred Vinson and a sixth round pick. Vinson blew out his knee playing basketball and never played a down for the Seahawks. Thanks, now I'm going to be in a sour mood all day, lol.
Reminds me of Nate Odomes. He was our first big free agency signing when modern free agency started up in 1993. Then he hurt his knee in a charity basketball game and never played a down for us.