Extend Geno Smith.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
Re-signing Geno would be a massive mistake. Look at the regression that we have seen in the second half of the season. It will be worse next year. We are going to have to pay him a ton, and there is no way that he will play up to it. We will get saddled with an aging, middle-of-the-road QB being paid at an elite level. It is already going to be a VERY difficult rebuild for the Hawks, and saddling the team with a Geno contract extension will make it even harder. Let Geno walk. Fire Pete and John. Start up again from scratch.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
sign him if you can get him at an affordable price. He's definitely regressed instead of improved.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I would rather take our lumps watching a rookie develop, and know there is at least hope for a better future. Can't be much worse than what we're seeing now.

nsport

Reaction score
Does everyone finally agree that Geno is at best a .500 QB? I have to think the sympathizers or apologists have run out of excuses by now.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Does everyone finally agree that Geno is at best a .500 QB? I have to think the sympathizers or apologists have run out of excuses by now.
Considering that the defense is mostly terrible and the run game largely non-existent, and the team is one game below .500, wouldn't it make more sense that the ceiling is actually considerably higher?

nsport

Reaction score
Not really, no. His situational football the past several games is absolutely terrible. He's proving to be exactly what his record indicates throughout his entire career.

knownone

Reaction score
We've gotten dominated on both sides of the line for three straight weeks. Geno could play better than he has, but he's not why we're losing. If anything, we're learning he can't carry the team, which most of us already knew.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
Considering that the defense is mostly terrible and the run game largely non-existent, and the team is one game below .500, wouldn't it make more sense that the ceiling is actually considerably higher?
Great points. I am not so much against Geno. He has made his share of mistakes. However, we have bigger problems than him. If you put him in a position to win he will. When you have poor play on the line, poor line play, and pathetic clock management it all adds up. Geno is put in a position by all of this and the mistakes and lack of run offense which he has not been in a position to handle.

nsport

Reaction score
I don't state an assertion that we are losing because of him directly. But we aren't winning because we have him. He's an average QB. In the spirit of this thread, my suggestion would be absolutely not to re-sign him. Not even a moments consideration. Let him walk.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
I don't state an assertion that we are losing because of him directly. But we aren't winning because we have him. He's an average QB. In the spirit of this thread, my suggestion would be absolutely not to re-sign him. Not even a moments consideration. Let him walk.
I get that. He does not have a good supporting staff. Not sure any QB could help us in our present situation.

CouchLogic

Reaction score

Looks like Geno has met or exceeded dotNets expectations and now he should be kicked to the curb. I would hate being Seattle's QB, haha. At this rate no QB will be good enough, unless they get inducted into the HOF after one season under center. No sense in letting anyone grow and keep learning the system.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Geno has to play a near perfect game for the Seahawks to win. Last few weeks he hasn’t been that level. Today he made some questionable decisions - the interception in the end zone and forcing a pass to Goodwin when he could have tucked the ball and ran for a first down. He’s still played well this season but he was playing much better beginning of the season than now.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'd rather go with Lock next year to compete with a rookie QB, and let Geno walk for a compensatory pick come 2024. He could snag us a 3rd round pick... likely no lower than a 4th.

flv2

Reaction score
I'd rather go with Lock next year to compete with a rookie QB, and let Geno walk for a compensatory pick come 2024. He could snag us a 3rd round pick... likely no lower than a 4th.
The Seahawks will only get a 3rd round compensatory pick if they don't spend on FAs that will count against Smith's leaving. The Seahawks are projected to release multiple veterans and signing replacements that won't impact the compensatory formula will be a challenge.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score

Looks like Geno has met or exceeded dotNets expectations and now he should be kicked to the curb. I would hate being Seattle's QB, haha. At this rate no QB will be good enough, unless they get inducted into the HOF after one season under center. No sense in letting anyone grow and keep learning the system.
The issue with Geno is the inflated QB market. Do you actually think that he is worth $30 million a year? That is the average cost of a QB these days. That is all our available cap space for next year. Do you think he's worth that? I would sign him for 10 mill a season, but that is not the QB market. I think that this team has too many holes and not enough cap space to pay him that much.

rcaido

Reaction score
Geno pretty much played better than anyone would have expected. Even the Seahawks didn't expect this much success. Pay Geno and hope w/ have another successful draft or do a sign in trade & fix this defense.

Geno last 5 games

10tds 5int 15sacks 2fumbles (a pick 6 that didnt' count and couple other bad throw INTs not caught) He has been very careless or the teams has finally figured him out. Geno would need to finish strong, like win the next 2 games and take a game in the playoffs strong. I think some other team will offer him 35-38million and the Seahawks will let him walk.

Jville

Reaction score
Resigning Geno to a 3 year contract thru 2025 is a distinct possibility. That would coincide with Pete Carroll's contract thru 2025.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Our immediate priority is shoring up that front 7 with players that are more likely to hit than Not. Not qbotf.

Donn2390

Reaction score
We've gotten dominated on both sides of the line for three straight weeks. Geno could play better than he has, but he's not why we're losing. If anything, we're learning he can't carry the team, which most of us already knew.
Nice to hear from a voice of reason after listening to all of the fickle fans who, from week to week, first decide because Pete decided to start Geno, the worst QB in the league, he is tanking the season.
A couple of weeks later P&J should be coach and GM of the year, Geno MVP and come back player of the year, followed shortly there after by FIRE ever player and every coach.
It wasn't too long ago all would be perfectly happy if we could just beat the Bronco's in the first game, after that they can lose all of the rest. That didn't last very long did it?
Keyboard experts opinions make drastic swings from week to week, not having a clue what goes on behind the scene.
People get far to emotionally involved in the game, we all would like to win every game, so would 31 other teams.
We have nothing but great things looking foreword. Forget the loss, enjoy the holidays and come back next week and start over again. It is entertainment, not life, enjoy it for what it is.
When we lose a game, I'm disappointed, but rather than dwelling on it, I do everything possible to put it out of my mind for a few days until cooler heads prevail. The worst thing one can do is come into the forum and read the comments, far worst than watching a bad game.
The way I look at it, win or lose, at the end of the day, my bank account looks exactly the same either way. The players walking out of the stadium walk out with $ millions $ in their pockets, let them do the worrying and make the necessary changes. I'll be back next week to enjoy the entertainment and hope for a victory, my opinion, and yours, will change nothing. Pete and Geno aren't going to read the forum to decide how to proceed.
My 2 cents which is worth nothing, are keep Pete as long as he wishes to stay, sign Geno for a few more years. As you all know, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one..
MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR

nsport

Reaction score
Geno pretty much played better than anyone would have expected. Even the Seahawks didn't expect this much success. Pay Geno and hope w/ have another successful draft or do a sign in trade & fix this defense.

Geno last 5 games

10tds 5int 15sacks 2fumbles (a pick 6 that didnt' count and couple other bad throw INTs not caught) He has been very careless or the teams has finally figured him out. Geno would need to finish strong, like win the next 2 games and take a game in the playoffs strong. I think some other team will offer him 35-38million and the Seahawks will let him walk.
This is a good way to look at this. Regardless of how bad the defense is, Geno Smith has not played well, and it's getting worse each game. Do not re-sign. No expectation that he'll grow with another year in the system.