Even with a Saints Win we are Still in First Place?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Earlier in the show on Total Access today they said if the Saints win, the order would be:

1) Packers
2) Saints
3) Seahawks

Due to conference record, etc...Then just now Lindsay Rhodes said she was wrong that in fact even if the Saints win, the order will still be the same...Seahawks in 1st, then Packers then Saints.

Is this correct?

Maulbert

Reaction score
It's basically the same reason we were the #1 seed in 2014 instead of Dallas. Seattle lost to the Cowbutts that season, but Dallas didn't play the Packers, so the three way tie went to conference record. Seattle was 10-2 in the NFC, the Packers were 9-3, and Dallas was 8-4, eliminating them first. Then, the tiebreaker between Seattle and Green Bay was the Hawks win over the Packers, giving us #1.

Polaris

Reaction score
We discuss it on the playoff thread but here is the straight skinny:

There are three teams that can finish tied at 13-3 (Seattle/San Fran, New Orleans, Green Bay) and five that can finish tied at 12-4 (Seattle, San Fran, New Orleans, Green Bay, and Minnesota).

In the 13-3 case, the first three way tie break is conference record and New Orleans loses that to both Green Bay and Seattle. Then Seattle beats Green Bay by common opponents.

In the 12-4 case, which teams lost when matters a huge amount. In the case of Minnesota and Green Bay, Green Bay gets the division crown by way of either head to head or division record depending on which games were won and lost. That kicks Minnesota out of the division leader ties. Likewise Seattle and San Fran has to be resolved. If Seattle won in week 17, then Seattle kicks out San Fran by head to head. Otherwise it goes down to SoV Tie Break which likely (see below) favors San Fran. Then the three survivors sort out the 1-3 seeds. If it is San Fran, Green Bay, and New Orleans, San Fran gets the #1 seed by head to head and Green Bay gets the #2 by way of conference record. If it is Seattle, Green Bay, and New Orleans, it works like the 13-3 case above. If Seattle drops to the wildcard, then Minny gets the #6 seed (head to head), if San Fran drops to the wild card then Minny gets the #5 seed (better common opponents in this case).

Finally, if San Fran loses to the Rams, SoV between Seattle and San Fran becomes hugely important. Otherwise it's meaningless. Here is the SoV between Seattle and San Fran assuming that Seattle wins vs Arizona next week and San Fran loses to the Rams next week:

Wins by Seattle and not San Fran: Minnesota, Philadelphia, Atlanta Combined Record of 22-20
Wins by San Fran and not Seattle: Green Bay, New Orleans, Washington: Combined Record: 25-17
This is subject to change but right now SF has a +3 advantage in SoV.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff bro! Thank you!

Joey13091

Reaction score
So in other words win out and we are 1st no matter what.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Joey13091

Reaction score
Joey13091":2ddffajl said:

If everyone wins out we get 1st. But if the packers lose next week to the vikings and saints win it would be them in 1st and us 2nd. So I'm still hoping for a saits loss somewhere and us to win out to be the 1 seed.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Joey13091":5u5tcn5a said:

No. If we win out and New Orleans wins out and Green Bay does not win out, we are the #2 seed.

So basically, if we win the west, New Orleans beats the Flaming Thumbtacks and the Panthers, and Minnesota beats Green Bay, we fall behind New Orleans in the NFC due to head-to-head win/loss.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3by2r761 said:
Joey13091":3by2r761 said:

No. If we win out and New Orleans wins out and Green Bay does not win out, we are the #2 seed.

So basically, if we win the west, New Orleans beats the Flaming Thumbtacks and the Panthers, and Minnesota beats Green Bay, we fall behind New Orleans in the NFC due to head-to-head win/loss.

Tennessee playing with a passion now- I DO see them beating Saints, and I DO see Minny beating GB as well
That will have us sitting pretty. Then hopefully we win out and be alone at top