ESPN Ranks Hawks draft as most productive in the NFL

sdog1981

Reaction score

Here is the Seahawks write-up:

The Seahawks came out of the 2022 draft with four starters and some useful depth on top of that. Their best rookie was fifth-round pick Tariq Woolen, who tied for the NFL lead with six interceptions. He finished with 16 passes defended and allowed a completion rate of just 47% in coverage. Left tackle Charles Cross and right tackle Abraham Lucas started 17 and 16 games, respectively. Cross was eighth at his position in SIS total points, while Lucas ranked 13th at his position.

The fourth starter was running back Kenneth Walker III. Walker had over 1,000 rushing yards with 10 rushing touchdowns, but advanced stats were less impressed by his performance because he combined a few highlight runs with a lot of runs where he got stuffed for minimal gains. He finished 41st out of 42 qualifying running backs in success rate and also had very little receiving value.

If you count nickelback as a starter -- and you should in the modern NFL -- the Seahawks also got a lot of value out of fourth-round pick Coby Bryant, who allowed a moderate 7.5 yards per target. In addition, edge rusher Boye Mafe started three games and racked up three sacks.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Walker yet. Too many times he waited too long to run forward and the hole closed before he could get to it. Then he would get caught for a loss or no gain. Hopefully he changes that and progresses because when he gets to the open field he can fly.

Donn2390

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Walker yet. Too many times he waited too long to run forward and the hole closed before he could get to it. Then he would get caught for a loss or no gain. Hopefully he changes that and progresses because when he gets to the open field he can fly.
Ya, one would think for as long as he has been in the league, by now he should be a super star, not much chance he will get any better.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
I've been super critical of their drafting over the past few years but they nailed this one. I think they changed their process and allowed John complete control but its a theory and could very well be wrong. It gives me hope that they get this next one right. I'm still a little skeptical as one good draft and a bunch of below average ones worries me but gotta have hope as a fan they self scouted and fixed whatever the issue was.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
I think they changed their process and allowed John complete control but its a theory and could very well be wrong.
i think so too. i remember in years past watching pressers and post draft interviews where it was laid out that positional coaches and coordinators got to choose who they wanted or atleast have some definitive input. tom cable was choosing our offensive lineman at one point. lol

Last edited:

hoxrox

Reaction score
I've been super critical of their drafting over the past few years but they nailed this one. I think they changed their process and allowed John complete control but its a theory and could very well be wrong. It gives me hope that they get this next one right. I'm still a little skeptical as one good draft and a bunch of below average ones worries me but gotta have hope as a fan they self scouted and fixed whatever the issue was.

I'm not sure about the complete control theory. I think JS and the player personnel dept below just did a better job than they have in years past.

They did their homework, worked on a big board they all liked, and John made good decisions on draft day, while Pete deferred to John's decisions.

That's probably what the process has been like. Not Pete sitting there on draft day approving or vetoing every pick (while finally ceding control with Jody in the room).

BASF

Reaction score
i think so too. i remember in years past watching pressers and post draft interviews where it was laid out that positional coaches and coordinators got to choose who they wanted or atleast have some definitive input. tom cable was choosing our offensive lineman at one point. lol
And Clint Hurtt was obviously responsible for McDowell and Collier.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the complete control theory. I think JS and the player personnel dept below just did a better job than they have in years past.

View attachment 56790

They did their homework, worked on a big board they all liked, and John made good decisions on draft day, while Pete deferred to John's decisions.

That's probably what the process has been like. Not Pete sitting there on draft day approving or vetoing every pick (while finally ceding control with Jody in the room).
You're probably right but there were some rumors that they wanted to make changes with their process and I wonder if Pete said I want to give you more control. Cowherd(I know lol) said a scout he had contact with claimed John and the scouting department often disagreed with Pete and it led to some weird early picks which we all know about. This scout also said he loves Pete so it didn't feel like it was vindictive or anything although its just as likely Cowherd made the whole thing up.

Whatever it is or isn't I think we can all agree that they kicked ass this previous year and hopefully can do it again. At least the most skeptical like me are excited about the draft for the first time in a while.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Best laugh of the day so far. Not sold on Walker? Aaaaah, the classics.
Nothing funny about it. Try watching him when he dances around instead of trying to hit the hole early. Yes, the guy is good. But if he starts to gel with what is available he'll be the great RB he's expected to be. It's been ONE SEASON.

renofox

Reaction score
True, but we did see some progress in that problem as the season progressed.

I'm hopeful an off-season of coaching will help him to take big steps in the right direction.

knownone

Reaction score
What's crazy about Woolen is he was as inconsistent as you can be as a rookie. His individual PFF grades are all over the place. And yet, he still almost made an all-pro team.

balakoth

Reaction score

Here is the Seahawks write-up:

The Seahawks came out of the 2022 draft with four starters and some useful depth on top of that. Their best rookie was fifth-round pick Tariq Woolen, who tied for the NFL lead with six interceptions. He finished with 16 passes defended and allowed a completion rate of just 47% in coverage. Left tackle Charles Cross and right tackle Abraham Lucas started 17 and 16 games, respectively. Cross was eighth at his position in SIS total points, while Lucas ranked 13th at his position.

The fourth starter was running back Kenneth Walker III. Walker had over 1,000 rushing yards with 10 rushing touchdowns, but advanced stats were less impressed by his performance because he combined a few highlight runs with a lot of runs where he got stuffed for minimal gains. He finished 41st out of 42 qualifying running backs in success rate and also had very little receiving value.

If you count nickelback as a starter -- and you should in the modern NFL -- the Seahawks also got a lot of value out of fourth-round pick Coby Bryant, who allowed a moderate 7.5 yards per target. In addition, edge rusher Boye Mafe started three games and racked up three sacks.
Love how they forget K9 was starting running back for only half the season

balakoth

Reaction score
Nothing funny about it. Try watching him when he dances around instead of trying to hit the hole early. Yes, the guy is good. But if he starts to gel with what is available he'll be the great RB he's expected to be. It's been ONE SEASON.
mean when the line is already blown up in the interior because it sucks? Gimme a break...

balakoth

Reaction score
oh and when he dances around and still pulls out 15 yards 8 times out of 10 ...vs the game plan to run him directly up the middle after a middle run... and the oline getting man handled..
Imagine all these great Rbs not having a good line and still being great.. oh wait.. thats facts

Polk738

Reaction score
Walker wasn't exactly running behind an "elite" OL either, he didn't start the whole season and still finished with over 1k yards AND 10 touchdowns, that is insane production from a rookie, I have no doubt in my mind that as the line gets better, Walker will easily be a top 5 RB very soon

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The big question, why are our drafts so hit and miss?

Was the process different last year? Or did we just have massive variance in outcome as part of the model? (ie more homeruns but less consistent hits)