Earl may have punctured Gronk's lung.

Rocket

Reaction score
pmedic920":curqhzdl said:
Actually, blunt force trauma or a "deceleration" injury could cause a collapsed lung. This would cause or result in a pneumothorax (air in the chest). With enough kinetic energy, small tears in the tissue can happen, and this would mimic or really be the same as a punctured lung.

I was a witness to this, my nephew was tubing and landed off tube and blew out a lung (pneumothorax). The ER doctor described little sore-like things called blips that seemed to adhere the lung and the wall. With an impact the lung tore away from said blip, causing the collapsed lung. Had a tube in his chest with a hose to a bottle and was instructed to blow or cough or something like that... to seat the lung against the cavity. 'Twas almost 40 years ago, so I might could be a tad fuzzy on the details.

Nope, ain't no doctor, don't play one on .net nor on TV.
YMMV

Hey Narn, could a "bleb" be what I heard as a "blip"? The doctor said it was common in long distance runners and brass players... possibly pro athletes as well maybe?

Rocket

Reaction score
Wow... That Thomas III guy, he's a bad ass. :2thumbs:

( condolences and best wishes to the Gronk )

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, officially it ended up being a "perforated lung" which is a bit different.

They also said that he sustained his herniated disc in the Seattle game; I'd be hard pressed to think where else he could've gotten it other than that hit.

I hope Gronk recovers from it though. He seems like a good dude and a tough football player that respects his opponents and respects good, tough football.

beastalamode

Reaction score
Espn confirms that Earl caused Gronk's back surgery in their story today about Gronk's post surgery video.

Dayum Earl :shock:

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I respect the hell out of Gronk; great player and seemingly a good guy. He's working on his third back surgery now...Earl may have effectively ended his career. Time to call it a day boyo...

joeseahawks

Reaction score
A Seahawks defender (Cliff Avril) ended Romo's career in Dallas.
Another Seahawks defender seems to have ended Gronk's season?
Any other victim of our defense out there? Thomas Davis (49ers). I know Kam didn't end his career, but he went from a star to a pedestrian player?
Did the Hawks also "end" Wes Walker's career with that hit during the Super Bowl?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
joeseahawks":8u8u4v13 said:
A Seahawks defender (Cliff Avril) ended Romo's career in Dallas.
Another Seahawks defender seems to have ended Gronk's season?
Any other victim of our defense out there? Thomas Davis (49ers). I know Kam didn't end his career, but he went from a star to a pedestrian player?
Did the Hawks also "end" Wes Walker's career with that hit during the Super Bowl?

Chicago Bears Knox.. got got his back flipped backwards.. pretty gruesome.

Vern

drdiags

Reaction score
Ricardo Lockette, career ended after almost losing his life. Not sure any of these type of injuries are something to pump up how badass one team is versus another.

Seafan

Reaction score
drdiags":dfpmxlga said:
Ricardo Lockette, career ended after almost losing his life. Not sure any of these type of injuries are something to pump up how badass one team is versus another.

Agreed.

The league is deemphasizing it as well. Remember the "Jacked Up" segment on NFLN?

With CTE and lawsuits it's wise of the league. All of these changes may be "taming" the NFL a bit but in the long run it may help keep our favorite players around a little longer.

I appreciate consistently good tacklers versus head hunters.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
sutz":1bfuej01 said:
A punctured lung from a hit like that would almost have to involve cracked or broken ribs, I would think. What else would puncture the lung? I'd buy bruised, though.

In any event, I don't wish injury on any player, from any team. Hope he is alright.
Hear hear.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":77vyv8rf said:
I respect the hell out of Gronk; great player and seemingly a good guy. He's working on his third back surgery now...Earl may have effectively ended his career. Time to call it a day boyo...
God, I hope not.

Latest posts