Drew Lock faithful? You might want to slow your roll

toffee

Reaction score
I'd also say that I've learned to not underestimate the intangible power of will and commitment. You need look no further than the guy we just swapped for Lock for proof of that. Russ is a prime example of a QB who learnwd to work around those things he couldnt do, and maximized... literally squeezed every ounce out of ability out of what he could do, to achieve HOF success.

I think the question with Lock is how disciplined he can be. If he can avoid the stupid throws, take what's there, and let loose his arm talent when the opportunity arises, there's no reason the guy can't find a good bit of success in Seattle.

We have wr's that will get open, a coordinator that will craft a gameplan specifically to help Lock do what he does best, and a running game that is hopefully primed to continue where it left off last year.

I'm saying... there a reasonable chance he's better than a lot of folks here expect he'll be.
If one would to compare Drew Lock's college plus first 2 years of pro to Russell Wilson's, there's really is no comparison; and we don't really know how good is Waldron after just one year with a star QB that was quite uncoachable.

We could however hope that Waldron continue his success in managing Penny, and the running game; that in itself would be Lock's best friend as he won't have to carry the offense. A strong running plus play action which Lock has been good at, we may just do alright. Once Drew experienced some success, we hope his game will improve aided by confidence. Lock does look like someone who would be quite coachable at this point.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Written 2/28/2022

I think this statement speaks for itself:

Let’s be real for a minute. Analysts and fans can cherry-pick a few games or plays to hint at the potential Lock has, but that is all it is, potential.

Potential without results isn't worth much. The fact is, Lock has been a terrible quarterback when given the reigns. This is not hyperbole.

What's your point they need to draft a QB . Trade for Mayfield he's trash he's on a team that had everything and they had one playoff appearance and one playoff win in 4 years with a 29-30 record. So your only point here is Lock didn't play well in Denver well that's fine but we all know that so this post is kind of worthless.

Scout

Reaction score
Drew Lock is fine as a bridge QB. And if a rookie QB beats out Lock that is fine as well. Lock is much better than people think because he is far more developed as a QB than say Eason.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, I doubt many actually think he's anything more than a bridge QB. I certainly don't. But the guy is being blasted before he has even so much as practiced with the team. So very "12" like.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete is going to stack the position prior to camp like he does with everything else, he wants Geno for security, Lock for the possibility he can resurrect him, you know how he likes those, and then a few F.A. players, we will draft another player later, John said he is going back to the Green Bay model since Wilson is no longer here to get butt hurt over bringing in competition at the position even as a project.

Hard target guy may be next year, depends on how the current group works out that they assemble.

OP
OP
sprhawk73

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Pete is going to stack the position prior to camp like he does with everything else, he wants Geno for security, Lock for the possibility he can resurrect him, you know how he likes those, and then a few F.A. players, we will draft another player later, John said he is going back to the Green Bay model since Wilson is no longer here to get butt hurt over bringing in competition at the position even as a project.

Hard target guy may be next year, depends on how the current group works out that they assemble.
Agreed, unless a QB with potential falls, I doubt they target a QB in the draft. Hopefully this year will be like a repeat of the 2010 draft. A ET and Bam Bam would be nice.

I also agree with the poster who brought up how Holmgren and Hass's prior relationship made it work.

If we had a good offensive line and a QB centric coach Lock could be our future. But PC doesn't prioritize QB's and pocket passing just isn't in the cards, you have to be a running QB to play in Seattle.

I'll be surprised if he is under center when the season begins.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Geno did fine. Not amazing, but fine.

More importantly, Geno's well-documented flaws (namely his propensity to turn the ball over) didn't show up in his brief starting stint. He was actually efficient, after several years on the bench. This isn't even really debatable - he WAS efficient during that stretch.

Geno limits the offense in a significant way, and I don't think he can process quickly enough to be a reliable starter. But my overall point is that Carroll's teams have always put their quarterbacks in a spot that limits their downside.

For this reason, I expect Lock to perform better in Seattle than he did under a reportedly toxic atmosphere in Denver. It might not be enough to turn him into a true starter, but his floor should be significantly raised.

Classifying me as a Geno hyper for not wanting to release and execute the dude is a little dumb. My avatar probably doesn't help my case, to be fair.
I only mentioned it because when he was starting last year in the game threads you were hyping him whilst he was turning the ball over and losing ball games.
If you don't recall he had two game sealing ints last year and our offense stunk when he started but your dislike of Russ at the time blinded you to the reality of what was happening right in front of you.
You wanted Geno to be good because for whatever reason you wanted Russ gone.
Now he is gone and we are stuck with Lock. Similarly with Lock you guys are trying to see something that isn't there.

A starting caliber QB in the NFL.
Maybe all the sudden he puts it all together but it's really unlikely after three years.
They didn't start him because he didn't earn it. Not because they had silly hidden motives.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I only mentioned it because when he was starting last year in the game threads you were hyping him whilst he was turning the ball over and losing ball games.
If you don't recall he had two game sealing ints last year and our offense stunk when he started but your dislike of Russ at the time blinded you to the reality of what was happening right in front of you.
You wanted Geno to be good because for whatever reason you wanted Russ gone.
Now he is gone and we are stuck with Lock. Similarly you trying to see something that isn't there.
A starting caliber QB in ghe NFL.
Maybe all the sudden he puts it all together but it's really unlikely after three years.
They didn't start him because he didn't earn it. Not because they had silly hidden motives.
He had two turnovers in 4 games played. One of which was an interception that his receiver fell down on during the release of his pass.

The other was a fumble.

Two turnovers. One clearly not his fault. 4 games.

If this is below your overall expectations for turnovers, then you have a mind-bogglingly warped expectation of the amount of turnovers a quarterback will end up having.

You, again, are not listening or reading what I'm saying. My post literally says that he's likely never going to be able to be a starter because his processing is quite slow.

Caps for effect, since apparently it is needed: I DO NOT THINK GENO SMITH IS A STARTER IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE! I NEVER HAVE!

But to say he was actually turnover prone during his stint is supported by NOTHING. Nothing whatsoever.

This isn't hype. It is fact. Unimpeachable fact. You're the one blinded by an incorrect interpretation of what you think that you're reading.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get incorrectly labeled a Lock hyper here by the crowd that's incapable of objectivity, too.

But the facts are this, based off small samples:

-Quarterbacks who were shitty at protecting the ball usually protect the ball well in Seattle.

-Quarterbacks who were inefficient passers generally improve at overall efficiency in Seattle.

For these reasons, I believe Drew Lock can be better than he was in Denver. Do I believe he'll end up being a future building block? Probably not.

Again, let me repeat this before you all run with it.

Do I, Maelstrom787, believe Drew Lock will end up being a true starter of the future for the Seattle Seahawks at the quarterback position?

No. I. Do. Not.

I'm simply saying that he'll probably improve upon what he did in Denver.

I'm ashamed that I have to be this clear and speak in near legalese to avoid getting my words twisted, but here we are.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Let me be clear as well. I hope Lock is the second coming of Brady. I really do. There are just a lot of reasons to believe that will not be the case.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He'll get his chance, but he'll have to earn it while we look into every chance we have to improve. The Kaepernick thing just won't die, and seems to be picking up steam. May the best man win.
I doubt it's picking up steam where it matters.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan

Downright snappy avatar you're sporting there pard.

Rosco

Reaction score
Yes, Fangio undermined his team and his job because of his irrational hatred of Lock. Look, I hope he turns out great, but nothing in his career, up to now, points to him being any good.
Russ took the starting job after three preseason games. Lock hasn't taken the starting role in three years. I guarantee the team that spent the draft capital that they did on him wanted him to succeed. No one was working against him and to suggest they were is silly.
You should have seen Fangios press conferences. Bridgewater throws 3 ints in a loss and it’s everyone’s fault but Bridgewater. Lock throws no ints in a loss and it was All Locks fault.

Latest posts