Drew Lock faithful? You might want to slow your roll

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
And? I could play that game too.

Two Words: Charlie Whitehurst.

Matt Hasselbeck's situation and Drew Locks situation are completely unrelated in just about every sense. Holmgren quite literally had inside knowledge and personally trained Hasselbeck. When we got him he was inserted into the same exact system he was in in GB. Mike Holmgren knew exactly what he was getting when he traded for Matt Hasselbeck.

This situation is copium at its finest. Drew Lock is one of Carroll's hail mary reclamation projects. Drew Lock is this years Darnold. I've seen the dude play, he's not good. There is a reason why we were flirting with Desean Watson and continue to be looking at QB's in the draft. Drew Lock is nothing but a placeholder, a warm body to man the position that has good physical skills. He's going to be a Tarvaris Jackson like character.

People keep comparing him to Goff, but that situation isn't the same either. Shane Waldron is not McVay, nor does he have the same petigree as McVay nor should we expect him to be McVay.
To be fair though I haven’t really compared him to Goff in skill set or potential.

I just stated that if Waldron can coach him up to be a poor man’s Goff or Goff-lite that I would be fine with that.

The things we are missing here are simple, the staple of this offense ISN’T going to live or die through QB play. The bread and butter, meat and potatoes of Waldron’s offense is a creative dynamic rushing attack and creating explosive plays through YAC and off Play-Action. Low Risk. With utilization of RBs as WRs, and WRs as RBs with your TEs schemed in creative ways that they don’t sell the play-design all to create misdirection and confusion. Keep the chains and clock moving, defense resting, scheming for the next drive.

Our problem though is Russ didn’t want to hand the ball off and he wanted Yards Through The Air rather Yards after the Catch.

I’m not asking Lock to be Goff, but can he just command the offense, execute the play-design and let his teammates do the heavy lifting as designed and understand only to get ballsy when your opponent makes a mistake? Pretty much what Goff effectively was for the Rams, a point-guard.

That’s up to Lock, he’s the one that has to physically and mentally prepare. Maybe he’s a square peg in a round hole or a solid fit, but I don’t think we gain anything by cementing him to his past, he’s young, and hopefully humbled, hungry, still moving forward with a lot to prove about his future especially with a contract on the line. We just don’t know, it’s up to him.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
As pointed out earlier, we had people convinced we could be better with Geno than Wilson.

It shouldn't shock you that people think David Lock could be better than Wilson. They thought Geno could be better than Wilson and whathisname is better than Geno.

We have a gift for ridiculous unfounded optimism here. And an unswerving willingness to place everything in the hands of aging barely competent and barely relevant washed up HC/GM.

David Locke won't be terrible. But he isn't going to make anymore forget Wilson either.
I can't speak for everyone else's critique of Wilson, but I know that much of it had to do with understanding that there were too many plays left on the field. The clamoring for 'another qb' was born of frustration at the passing game not being effective at consistently moving the ball. That frustration is valid. Stats prove it out. We haven't had THAT qb in Seattle since Hass. Stats also prove that out.
So you can say that folks who thought Geno could do it were wrong. But Russ couldn't either... at least not consistently enough. But what he could do (maximizing everything he was capable of) was good enough to bring us a good amount of success anyway, and in spectacular fashion.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
As pointed out earlier, we had people convinced we could be better with Geno than Wilson.

It shouldn't shock you that people think David Lock could be better than Wilson. They thought Geno could be better than Wilson and whathisname is better than Geno.

We have a gift for ridiculous unfounded optimism here. And an unswerving willingness to place everything in the hands of aging barely competent and barely relevant washed up HC/GM.

David Locke won't be terrible. But he isn't going to make anymore forget Wilson either.
David Locke might not be the answer

But how about Drew? ;)

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It’s laughably stupid for people on here to make such definitive statements. NO ONE KNOWS how Lock will perform. Oddly, many of these same people who think This also think Kaepernick is somehow a viable option. How ludicrous is that? Or think Taking Malick Willis is somehow a good idea @9. A guy who needs substantial development to become a quality starter. Very few QB’s can just come and be great. Look at Josh Allen, his first 2 years were largely forgettable. The good news is Lock has had that development on a different team. Theoretically he should be hitting his peak. Hopefully that is the case..

Looking at Locks tape the dude can throw the ball. He can put the ball in tight spaces and in tight coverage and doesn’t appear to be afraid to take those chances. All of which I find to be a positive in his corner. I’m interested to see him play.
In all honesty if he starts and throws for 3,200 yards, 24 Td’s 12 int at a 64% completion % I think we’d all be pretty pleased with that statline. I’m going to root for the kid until he he proves to me he isn’t a starter. I think he can be. Only time will tell.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
It’s laughably stupid for people on here to make such definitive statements. NO ONE KNOWS how Lock will perform. Oddly, many of these same people who think This also think Kaepernick is somehow a viable option. How ludicrous is that? Or think Taking Malick Willis is somehow a good idea @9. A guy who needs substantial development to become a quality starter. Very few QB’s can just come and be great. Look at Josh Allen, his first 2 years were largely forgettable. The good news is Lock has had that development on a different team. Theoretically he should be hitting his peak. Hopefully that is the case..

Looking at Locks tape the dude can throw the ball. He can put the ball in tight spaces and in tight coverage and doesn’t appear to be afraid to take those chances. All of which I find to be a positive in his corner. I’m interested to see him play.
In all honesty if he starts and throws for 3,200 yards, 24 Td’s 12 int at a 64% completion % I think we’d all be pretty pleased with that statline. I’m going to root for the kid until he he proves to me he isn’t a starter. I think he can be. Only time will tell.
He isn't a starter.... He's Sam Darnold category until proven otherwise. He's got a relatively large sample size of being ineffective as a starter.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
It shouldn't shock you that people think David Lock could be better than Wilson. They thought Geno could be better than Wilson and whathisname is better than Geno...

I haven't seen any examples of people thinking Lock could be better than Wilson. Then again, I haven't been looking that closely for such examples. I'm hoping he will be good enough. Time will tell.

themunn

Reaction score
I prefer the pickup of Drew Lock in 2022 to the signing of Matt Flynn in 2012.

Yes Lock went 0-4 in the last 4 games of the Broncos season (against Chiefs Bengals at home, and Raiders & Chargers on road), but Broncos were also 3-5 in previous 8 games, one of those wins against Lions.

Wilson has been spoiled with some quality receivers during his time in Seattle (Golden Tate, Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, DK Metcalf all pro bowlers), and is going to a team lacking receiving talent - that just traded their 2nd best receiver (Noah Fant) as part of the deal. I'm not saying Lock is going to put up Wilson-esque stats, but I believe we'll be in a better place to succeed with him than he was at Denver.

Or, his career turns out exactly like Flynns - benched in preseason for a drafted rookie and we get all worked up over nothing for it

beaumaris

Reaction score
Bridge qb for 1 year...if you think he's a long term solution you'd be wrong. I'm guessing pete and John know that...
As you say,you’re guessing.
You know as much as the rest of us.
Let’s just wait,we may all be pleasantly surprised.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
We don't need Lock to be the next Wilson. We simply need him to be the next Ryan Tannehill.

chris98251

Reaction score
For a team that had QB's of Zorn who was pulled out of a Dallas scrap heap, Mudbone who was signed as a UDFA and school no longer even has football to Hasselbeck who was a 6th rounder, and then Wilson a 3rd rounder who was given virtually no chance at success in the NFL you would think Fans here would have learned something about QB's coming into Seattle. You don't need to be a star coming in, it's how you do after you get here.

toffee

Reaction score
Lock wouldn't or couldn't throw until he could see the ball catcher, reminds you of someone?
Lock breaks down under pressure, he didn't have the legs and athleticism of Russ.
Lock wouldn't worry the defense with his running.
+++
Lock has strong arms, can throw deep balls, just not as accurate as Russ especially throwing on the run.
Lock is pretty good with play action.
Lock has the size to see the middle of the field.
Lock has quick release.
+++
Conclusions:
Lock needs a strong running game.
Lock could be a decent game manager.
Lock could be second coming of Jared Goff.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Lock wouldn't or couldn't throw until he could see the ball catcher, reminds you of someone?
Lock breaks down under pressure, he didn't have the legs and athleticism of Russ.
+++
Lock has strong arms, can throw deep balls, just not as accurate as Russ especially throwing on the run.
Lock has quick release.
+++
Conclusions:
Russ 50 million a year..or soon to be...Lock 2 million a year.

keasley45

Reaction score
+++
Lock has quick release.
+++
Conclusions:
to the first two points (and i think they're accurate), soooo much of the ability of a qb to anticipate his wr being open or to throw him open depends on the relationship the QB has with his OC and how aligned they are and studied he is in a consistent philosophy and game-plan week in and week out. Its true, that reading a defense is reading a defense, so one could argue that it doesnt matter what 'style' of offense you run, what matters is being able to understand man / zone looks and 'see' the areas of the field that will be open. But there's a difference between dictating the terms of engagement and just calling plays. The great playcaller, qb combinations in the league make it easy on themselves by constantly forcing the defense they're playing to second guess what they're seeing. When that starts to happen, the anticipatory part of the QBs game becomes much easier. And the more that QB is in those situations where things are flowing, the more the offense expands, and his grasp of the game grows. It becomes a reflexive, 'if this, then that' series of decisions that become second nature

Lock has NEVER had that opportunity to not just learn under a solid offensive mind, but to establish a relationship with his OC and develop the close bond that playcaller and QB need. So its hard to say that Lock cant do those things. It looks like he cant right now because the Denver offense was never good enough to actually tip the table and keep secondaries guessing. He mentioned specifically the connection he had with his first OC his rookie year and how it reflected in his play and how hard it was transitioning the following year. i think that's notable. He was 4-0 in the offense he felt comfortable in and looked every bit the budding star folks thought he'd be.

If he can develop the above, his pocket awareness and ability to extend plays will improve as well. If he knows where to be in the pocket and can anticipate where the open guy will be play in and play out, and where pressure is coming from, he'll also be able to make quick decisions as to when it makes sense to move himself outside or just take off and scramble for a few yards. Aaron Rodgers isnt an elusive, scrambling QB, but when he pulls the ball down, its usually not on designed runs, but rather is entirely based on his understanding, pre-snap that there's a high prpbability that the run will be there.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
He isn't a starter.... He's Sam Darnold category until proven otherwise. He's got a relatively large sample size of being ineffective as a starter.
I could be wrong, but always thought Sam Darnold had a windup throwing motion.
And too many INTs at USC.
Drew Lock's 40 time of 4.70 beats Sam's 4.85. Dwayne Haskins ran 5.02 and 5.04 at the same 2019 combine.
Some reporters claim Lock doen't 'anticipate' well, but maybe that's learned behavior.
Seahawks have many other problems.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Give the guy a chance, geezus man.
Denver gave him a chance for 3 years and he looked like hot garbage most of that time. Pete Carroll hasn't exactly built up goodwill among the fans over the last few years either. People keep talking about offensive staff being the differentiator here, but what exactly has Shane Waldron proven? He's a newer offensive coordinator that worked pretty far down in the Rams organization. Just because he has ties with McVay doesn't make him McVay.

The bottom line is his NFL resume is not very good at this point. I like his attitude but that only gets you so far in the NFL. I haven't seen much, if any improvement at all in his NFL career thus far. Could he breakout and become a Josh Allen character? Sure, but that is extremely unlikely to happen. It's a lot more likely that we see more of the same from Lock, which is a below average passer/career backup with desirable physical traits. He's a bridge QB, much like Tarvaris Jackson was.