Do you worry more about 2022 defense or offense?

toffee

Reaction score
Unless we make last minute major FA signing or trading. Our roster is quite set at this point, pending thinning down to 53. Do you worry more about our offense or defense for this season?

I worry more about our defense, and here's why:
  1. New scheme and new coaches, although DC was promoted inhouse but we did add an assist HC defense. We will also switch over to 3-4.
  2. We don't necessary have all the pieces for 3-4, DL and LB
  3. CB still an area of worry, new guys etc.,
Our offense on the other hand, other than QB, and OL, we are quite set.

Jville

Reaction score
I chose not to worry about the next Seahawks chapter.

But hey, individual differences are what makes forums interesting.

flv2

Reaction score
Both units have downgraded from 2021. Enjoy what good plays, good performances, and whatever wins come the Seahawks way. It's a transition season with plenty of 2023 Draft capital.

Later edit: Originally posted 2022 instead of 2021. Corrected thanks to @jammerhawk.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
Worry might be too strong a term, for me anyway. It will be interesting on both sides of the ball, for sure. I'm not convinced the 'talent deficit' so many posters worry about is quite as bad as it might seem. If the DK contract talks bleed into training camp, then IMO the offense could have more problems than defense.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
flv2:

Think you meant 2021 in the post above. Yet somehow despite the loss of Wagner I don't agree both units have been downgraded.

The team draft a few very good players this draft and the D while younger is looking to be faster. The new look of the D will be interesting to watch.

flv2

Reaction score
flv2:

Think you meant 2021 in the post above. Yet somehow despite the loss of Wagner I don't agree both units have been downgraded.

The team draft a few very good players this draft and the D while younger is looking to be faster. The new look of the D will be interesting to watch.
I understand the optimism. All units on all teams could improve. With the Seahawks defense not only did the #2 player, (by salary), depart, the #1 player finished the season on IR and there's never a guarantee the player will be the same. Norton Jr's departure from the DC role was past due but internal promotions seem to go wrong more often than they go right. Additionally I don't think the defense will get as much support from the offense in 2022 as they got in 2021. Defenses can look statistically worse when the offense improves and has more leads. (The defense plays prevent and becomes more concerned by time than yards). The 2022 defense could statistically improve from 2021, but it could be for the reverse of what i've just said. Either way there's not a lot of pressure from fan expectations. Enjoy the development of the upcoming players. It's not all doom and gloom and there's a better outlook than in 2009.

sutz

Reaction score
I understand the optimism. All units on all teams could improve. With the Seahawks defense not only did the #2 player, (by salary), depart, the #1 player finished the season on IR and there's never a guarantee the player will be the same. Norton Jr's departure from the DC role was past due but internal promotions seem to go wrong more often than they go right. Additionally I don't think the defense will get as much support from the offense in 2022 as they got in 2021. Defenses can look statistically worse when the offense improves and has more leads. (The defense plays prevent and becomes more concerned by time than yards). The 2022 defense could statistically improve from 2021, but it could be for the reverse of what i've just said. Either way there's not a lot of pressure from fan expectations. Enjoy the development of the upcoming players. It's not all doom and gloom and there's a better outlook than in 2009.
A bit of disagreement here. I think if the offense is more ball control oriented with an effective short to middle game that protects time of possession, the defense will be better able to exploit its more important attributes like speed to the ball. That would lead to more "good" 3 and outs by the D, instead of piling up the "bad" 3 and outs by the O.

Oh, and I also disagree about the "stats" comment. If the O generates more leads in games, the D can be more aggressive and take more risks that exploit their speed, like rushing and blitzing. Forcing the O into passing situations is where sacks and hurries and turnover stack up.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Great question by the OP! I agree with most everything Jammer said.
I don't agree our roster has downgraded. We will likely start or play several rookies and the staff succeeded in increasing team speed across the board. It may take awhile for it all to gel but I do not doubt we are better off overall than we have been for quite awhile. Except at the QB spot...and we might not be nearly as bad there as a lot of folks are making us out to be.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I don't have "worries" about either, 'Intrigue'? certainly.
The Defense switching to a 3-4 will be a significant departure from the norms that we've all become accustomed to seeing from Pete's Defensive structures in the last 12 years, & I expect that there'll be some growing pains this upcoming season, but it's a change of both Coaching & scheme that I think was needed.
Offensively, we are without the familiarity of RW, & once again, back to the old "Quarterback Controversy".
Russell Wilson was 'His Own' "System Quarterback", so anyone that comes after & becomes our new signal caller should NOT be compared to Wilson's play style, but nevertheless, we all know whoever it is... will be.
I see this year as a "RELOAD" and Pete & company setting the stage for Wilson's replacement in next year's Draft, so all I want to see, is just some positive growth from the whole team.
I expect the losses that are coming, but I'm also ready for the nuances & the fun....I Deserve it.

flv2

Reaction score
A bit of disagreement here. I think if the offense is more ball control oriented with an effective short to middle game that protects time of possession, the defense will be better able to exploit its more important attributes like speed to the ball. That would lead to more "good" 3 and outs by the D, instead of piling up the "bad" 3 and outs by the O.

Oh, and I also disagree about the "stats" comment. If the O generates more leads in games, the D can be more aggressive and take more risks that exploit their speed, like rushing and blitzing. Forcing the O into passing situations is where sacks and hurries and turnover stack up.
That's fair enough. I think the 2022 Seahawks offense will score fewer points and have fewer leads, hence less pressure on the opponents to gain yards and score points. A healthy Penny could change things, or a massive turnaround with Lock's game, but otherwise it's going to be tough sledding. The Seahawks are +1200 to win the division for a reason.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Even if this team had its QB, we would be talking about how the switch to a 3-4 would mean this defense should struggle for the first 3rd or quarter of the season as it learns how to play that defense and sharpens the dull edges.

But we are not only dealing with that, but we are dealing with a completely new offense because our old offense was tailored to a QB we no longer have.

We literally should be expecting nothing of this team with both sides complete question marks.

Not only is winning the division a ridiculous goal, but being the worst team in the division shouldn't even be shocking. There is too much uncertainty, too much change at once, and very little areas of strength we can even leverage.

If we beat expectations? Great.
But nobody should be that shocked if we don't. This is a rebuild.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Great question. I'm not really worried about either, necessarily. But I think the defense is more interesting to pay close attention to. I suspect it'll either be a lot, lot better, or a complete $hitshow.

I think the run game will probably be pretty good once the new tackles take some lumps. And the success of the run game is kind of what we need to judge Waldron on in 2022.

Rainger

Reaction score
Both units have downgraded from 2021. Enjoy what good plays, good performances, and whatever wins come the Seahawks way. It's a transition season with plenty of 2023 Draft capital.

Later edit: Originally posted 2022 instead of 2021. Corrected thanks to @jammerhawk.
Just not true! Every position group is better other than maybe QB. Last years team was old, tired and dysfunctional. This years team is younger and going to be on the same page, will there be growing pains, sure, but this will be a better team than last years even if the wins are the same.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
Defense is the bigger worry.

I think the offense can be very productive by moving the chains and putting up points when the field is flipped or even driving a bit with actual third down conversitions.

Defense has to show some fangs on third downs and also to create turnovers. Those turnovers will create more scoring opportunities for the offense or shorter fields to drive for scores.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
At this point, the offense had one big hole in QB, and two unknowns in OL.

The defense? Man, DL lack legit 3/4 DEs, LB will feature new faces, DB? Two stars coming back from injuries, bunch of rookies. Oh yes, new coaches and switching to 3/4.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Defense is the bigger worry.

I think the offense can be very productive by moving the chains and putting up points when the field is flipped or even driving a bit with actual third down conversitions.

Defense has to show some fangs on third downs and also to create turnovers. Those turnovers will create more scoring opportunities for the offense or shorter fields to drive for scores.
That sounds great on paper but Geno or Lock haven't been great with actual 3rd down conversions -
"In four games spelling Wilson, Smith threw with great accuracy on third down, completing 15 out of 22 passes for 139 yards. But while he connected on nearly 70 percent of those throws, only eight of them moved the chains for a new set of downs and taking six sacks on third down situations limited him to a 31 percent conversion rate on 29 conversion attempts. For perspective, the Bears had the lowest third down conversion rate in the NFL at 34.7 percent.

Playing in six games total for the Broncos, Lock actually performed worse in the passing department, completing only 15 out of 31 third down attempts for 168 yards and an interception. But showing off his underrated athleticism, he ran for 45 yards and a touchdown on six rushing attempts, moving the chains four times with his legs, pushing the Broncos third down conversion rate to 28 percent."

The full article can be found at - https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-...52500002619&pid=quick-passing-game-geno-smith

hawks4thewin

Reaction score

it does not feel like we Downgraded ANYTHING on offense this year... the pocket is holding for 5+ seconds most of the time..... We have the highest Offensive DVOA.... what are you basing this off of, Gut? then ok... but not statistics.

I think the defense is suffering but i honestly cannot figure out why.. best guess is Wrong personell for the scheme OR they are trying to disguise coverages and are failing Horribly at it. but without knowing the D play call i can't begin to guess... its much harder then telling if a receiver can catch or not.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know dick all when it comes to X's and O's but my best guess based on what I've been hearing, watching and reading is it's a scheme versus personnel issue, perhaps more than the other factors that might be involved (too many cooks in the defensive coaching kitchen, etc).

knownone

Reaction score
I don't pretend to know dick all when it comes to X's and O's but my best guess based on what I've been hearing, watching and reading is it's a scheme versus personnel issue, perhaps more than the other factors that might be involved (too many cooks in the defensive coaching kitchen, etc).
I've been seeing that a lot as well. But from my perspective, whether the problem is scheme or personnel is just different ways of describing the same thing. For example, if you don't have the personnel for the current system, it's both a scheme and a personnel issue. So the question, it seems, is whether Pete is willing to shift back to 43 principles to support the guys they have or stick with the 34, assuming that things will improve with experience.