DK Metcalf now using sign language to talk trash

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Complaining about a football player who is doing absolutely nothing wrong is also not the best use of time.

cymatica

Reaction score
DK was obviously joking in the interview, and we don't know his true motivations for learning ASL. But learning a language specifically to talk trash is ridiculous. In that scenario, learning to shut your mouth is a much more efficient use of your time.
I respectfully disagree. I love learning cusswords and basic trash talk of different languages, it's hilarious

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It’s funny to me that anyone would take issue with this.
Most of us have used sign language to talk trash, haven’t we.
I thought of that when i was posting it too -

I was like "can't you just wait until the ref's not looking and flip the dude off?"

DK is eloquent in his rage ;) Nothing wrong with a higher class level of trash!

;)

Seahawks4eva

Reaction score
DK hasn’t done anything in recent weeks, just tosses the ball to the refs and moves on. Ever since he got so much flak week 1.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
learning an entire language to trash talk that nobody on the field will understand is incredibly dumb. something a child might do. Plus it is not his trash talk that gets him in trouble, players talk trash all the time. He gets in trouble when other players trash talk and their play gets under his skin and he begins to lose his mind.
A little psychiatry or meditation would be a wiser move if he can't control his emotions.

View attachment 61178

I agree. It's also not his language either. It's the language of my people and my culture. Appropriating a language for the sole purpose of trash talking is disrespectful to the culture that uses the language.

It's dumb and makes a mockery of my language.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Amen!

Before every game Boye Mafe signs "I Love you" to his mom who passed this year.

That was how they communicated

If so, respect. Anytime a CODA shows respect like that, I notice.

I have 3 CODAS myself and they wouldn't change a thing about being CODAS.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Learning any language is never a wasted effort. Learning ASL is definitely not a wasted effort given how many people use it as their primary method of communication.

If DK has identified that he needs an outlet for frustration that won't get him flagged or fined, and he thinks ASL can be that outlet, it certainly won't hurt anything. I'm just happy he's acknowledged that it's an issue that he needs to take care of. I've seen comments on opponents' boards that all you have to do is get under his skin a bit and you'll get some good penalty yardage. If fans see that then obviously other teams do too.
I'm perfectly okay with him doing the Sign Language gig, just so long as it doesn't distract/detract from his FOCUS.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I agree. It's also not his language either. It's the language of my people and my culture. Appropriating a language for the sole purpose of trash talking is disrespectful to the culture that uses the language.

I wonder if we actually know the whole story.

What if he started dating a girl and her mom is deaf?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I had a deaf fiance a few years back good for DK to learn ASL. The deaf community is large, wealthy and far more politically connected then the norms understand or willing to accept.

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I wonder if we actually know the whole story.

What if he started dating a girl and her mom is deaf?
Likely no trust me. Like my community the CP people we make just as much money as the normal people but they're fully mobile typically we aren't. You have to know that PM?

Jim Plunkett had blind parents for example.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

I think differently and well prefer guys it probably has to do with growing up with 5 guys? Guys are very straightforward Iike this because I don't have to White Lie to guys I don't prefer.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I had a deaf fiance a few years back good for DK to learn ASL. The deaf community is large, wealthy and far more politically connected then the norms understand or willing to accept.
Large indeed. The deaf population numbers about 70 million worldwide. I myself am among them, since birth. While DK's use of ASL to "hurl" insults is questionable (and I realize he may have just been joking about that), I think it's good he's increasing awareness (likely unwittingly) of the deaf culture, though there are obviously many other ways far preferable and more effective.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Obviously but your community is just as full of sssholes, sneaky and intelligent people as mine. Remember I experienced your real contempt for ALL hearing people. But I'm extremely happy DK is attempting to build bridges not division very much like Travis Kelcie and Taylor Swift. Don't be pissed at regular normal guy taking his shot and it working. Be angry if he's an asshole to her.

Last edited: