Disciplined pass rush kept Murray pretty much in check...

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1f7d5gc6 said:
That play by Diggs... They showed only one replay of a angle that clearly looked like Hopkins was flopping.. there appeared to be no helmet to helmet contact and it was only Hopkins who's head swiviled. Afterwards, they showed Hopkins walking back and this wry smile at his QB..IDK, wish they would have shown that one camera angle again.

Glad someone else wrote this, thought I was going crazy. Amount of Card whining about helmet to helmet, Aikman saying it, there was no helmet to helmet! It was straight shoulder to shoulder and some good whining afterwards pointing to his helmet.

I guess it was borderline late, but when Diggs launches he doesn't know the ball was so poorly thrown / wasn't going to be caught. Very similar to BWags call. I am very biased but think both are bullshit.

If it was a helmet to helmet call, I am very confused.

I'm glad they were hitting out there, and hope they keep that up.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
BandWagon11Hawk":3bso8dpe said:
Bobblehead":3bso8dpe said:
That play by Diggs... They showed only one replay of a angle that clearly looked like Hopkins was flopping.. there appeared to be no helmet to helmet contact and it was only Hopkins who's head swiviled. Afterwards, they showed Hopkins walking back and this wry smile at his QB..IDK, wish they would have shown that one camera angle again.

Glad someone else wrote this, thought I was going crazy. Amount of Card whining about helmet to helmet, Aikman saying it, there was no helmet to helmet! It was straight shoulder to shoulder and some good whining afterwards pointing to his helmet.

I guess it was borderline late, but when Diggs launches he doesn't know the ball was so poorly thrown / wasn't going to be caught. Very similar to BWags call. I am very biased but think both are $h!t.

If it was a helmet to helmet call, I am very confused.

I'm glad they were hitting out there, and hope they keep that up.

I'd be perfectly happy if they took one of these next few games if we can get out to a big lead and drop 4/5 of those big hits on receivers flag be damned. Put a game on tape that shows they don't give a sh%t about the flag, they're gonna lay you out anyway. It would put that bug in the back of every receivers mind going forward.

hawk45

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3m5qt3pn said:
Where are all the people who claimed the Hawks would give up 50????
I doubt they'll come in here and eat crow. So hilarious how many people gave up on this team.
Good luck with that. Gonna' be a long 11 days for the downers. Good...…..
7-3
1st Place
28-21
Gonna' lose 5 in a Row
The defense giving up 50 was quite a solid proposition a couple games ago.

For myself, I was certain we’d give up 45 vs the rams, and we looked bad for stretches, but when I looked at the scoreboard at the end of that game I said nope, the D played well enough to win, Wilson and the offense lost that game

So I wasn’t sure at all what to expect from this game. I certainly didn’t expect the solid performance we received, and I’d like to see the poster who believed our D would effectively bottle up the cards and flowers would disappear Hopkins.

OP
OP
sutz

sutz

Reaction score
"Disappearing" Hopkins is at least in part due to bottling up Murray. By containing him, like I postulated in the OP, we also reduced the ability of the team to make those big plays that come on scramble drills. Hey, in some ways the Cards kind of mirror our team in that they make a lot of hay off those "broken" plays where the QB is extending the play until somebody breaks open, like Russ does whenever he can.

Best team defense we've played all year, and it started in part in the Rams game, which even though it was a loss we basically held them below their season average in scoring IIRC. The next stretch of games will give them more chances to develop the discipline they'll need come the playoffs.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Good to see that we have the ability to contain a QB that runs around. I know it's unlikely but if Wentz puts up another stinker on Sunday and the Eagles lose, I wonder if we would see a fair amount of Hurts next Monday

LTH

Reaction score
sutz":1kn9rve7 said:
he got away a few times, but not like the last game against him. We kept him in the pocket fairly well and sealed the edges a lot of the time.

Pretty good game. Guys were staying in their lanes mostly and limiting Murray's escape routes.

:2thumbs:

I think that's part of what a D gelling means... for players to be able to do their job and trust that the guy next to them is going to do his job.. working together to have a great D... Its so important and it only comes with time playing together... they are not out of the woods yet still have to see some consistency but with the schedule the way it is it's a little easier

Nice post Sutz!

LTH

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Despite Aikman's helmet to helmet BS, the actual call was correct, IMHO.

Corrente never said helmet to helmet, not that refs ever do, he said unnecessary roughness.

The call I believe they made, and that I think is correct, is unnecessary roughness for hitting a defenseless receiver.

Either way, it was a stupid, heads down penalty. He should have been tracking the ball and pulled off.

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3twpcn1b said:
The call I believe they made, and that I think is correct, is unnecessary roughness for hitting a defenseless receiver.

Based on ... https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nf ... ss-player/ ?

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

<snip>...
illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. (This does not apply to contact against a runner, unless the runner is still considered to be a defenseless player, as defined in Article 7.)

As I said, I get that it's close, obviously for my bias no. But the helmet to helmet talk is absurd.

chris98251

Reaction score
You will take a penalty here and there as you inflict your will on teams, laying out a WR when they talk smack from play to play especially after losing to them from last game sends a message to the other 30 teams, timing of these penalties is what is important, do them early.

As the rest of the WR in the league watch our defense on film they start writing numbers down of players that will decapitate them and start looking where they are rather then catching the ball.

They don't have to be dirty, don't get me wrong, just physical and soul stealing as we have said here about Kam in the past.

It is like having another player on the field and will affect games, we just have to maintain this personality, the soft mentality of let them make plays in front of us was not there against the Cards other then Flowers, yet he graded better, he has to get confidence to challenge a pass and hit them like a Safety would.

Latest posts