These Issues On Offense Sound Eerily Familiar…

Fade

Reaction score
Stop me if you've heard these before.

The Seahawks are currently suffering on offense from only a coaching perspective mind you. What has been seemingly been plaguing them forever, regardless of OC/QB/or other personnel.

Here's looking at you, Petey.

1) Don't throw to the middle of the field.

(McVay loves to throw over the middle to the Slot and TE. So Waldron should too. Pete has a philosophy overriding this, as most INTs occur in the middle of the field they don't target there often.)

2) Don't utilize, or forget about the Tight Ends.

(See above #1.)

3) When opponents Blitz, everyone is running deep, no where to throw HOT.

(A Pete Carroll staple.)

4) Runs are straight forward up the gut, A Gap--B-Gap, not a lot of misdirection, not a lot of outside zone runs. Very easy for the opponent to plan for.

(Also a Pete Carrol staple. The Rams are an outside zone running team. They like to boot off of outside zone and throw it to the TE's.)

5) Screen game underutilized, when they do attempt it, highly ineffective. Bubble Screen to the slot WR is about the only screen play they ever call with any consistency, mostly ineffective.

6) Failure to move around their #1 WR and get him involved in the game early. Instead, line him up in the same spot--running the same routes, easy to gameplan and take away. Never motion him.

7) Protection issues pre-snap, not being adjusted by the Center or QB pre-snap.

8) Not going after opponents weaknesses on defense. A great example being, an opponent struggle's to cover the TE. Seattle won't attack it. They kinda just do what they do, oblivious of the opponent.

9) Highly effective play? Trying something new? Stop calling it, go back to runs up the gut, and bombing it deep.

10) Over using the main back like they are all Marshawn Lynch. Instead of sharing the load and keeping guys fresher.
Carson? Rawls? Walker? It don't matter. Whoever the lead back is, they are just like Marshawn Lynch, run him into the ground.

11) QB takes the same drop and same launch point over 'n over. Don't move the pocket, don't change the launch point.

(Pass rushers loves this as they no where the QB is gonna be.)

12) For having mobile QBs, don't call enough rollouts, and boots.

13) Not enough playaction, even though effective.

14) Penalties! Lead the league nearly every year.

15) 3rd and short, go empty.

16) 3rd and short, chuck it deep.

17) 3rd and long, run a give up play. Cool with punting.

18) 3rd downs in general, rank bottom half of the league to worst in the league, despite consistent Pro-Bowl QB play throughout the years.

Did I forget anything?

For how talented the Seahawks are, they have coaching issues all over the place on offense, that pre-date Waldron.

cymatica

Reaction score
Well, I can't really argue most of the points. I will add that on penalties specifically, they always get fooled on hard counts even in situations where it's obvious the offense just wants to draw the defense offsides. I'm actually curious Seattle's percentage of this compared to the rest of the league.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
You aren’t wrong seeing what we’re seeing of late. Again, the poster changes narratives whenever it fits.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Fade has some really good points. It’s frustrating to say the least watching this team. It has been so much worse in the past though. These are actually good times. As hard as that is to believe.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
19) Grey Aliens are watching the game on tv and relaying info to coaches. Shameful.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Stop me if you've heard these before.

The Seahawks are currently suffering on offense from only a coaching perspective mind you. What has been seemingly been plaguing them forever, regardless of OC/QB/or other personnel.

Here's looking at you, Petey.

1) Don't throw to the middle of the field.

(McVay loves to throw over the middle to the Slot and TE. So Waldron should too. Pete has a philosophy overriding this, as most INTs occur in the middle of the field they don't target there often.)

2) Don't utilize, or forget about the Tight Ends.

(See above #1.)

3) When opponents Blitz, everyone is running deep, no where to throw HOT.

(A Pete Carroll staple.)

4) Runs are straight forward up the gut, A Gap--B-Gap, not a lot of misdirection, not a lot of outside zone runs. Very easy for the opponent to plan for.

(Also a Pete Carrol staple. The Rams are an outside zone running team. They like to boot off of outside zone and throw it to the TE's.)

5) Screen game underutilized, when they do attempt it, highly ineffective. Bubble Screen to the slot WR is about the only screen play they ever call with any consistency, mostly ineffective.

6) Failure to move around their #1 WR and get him involved in the game early. Instead, line him up in the same spot--running the same routes, easy to gameplan and take away. Never motion him.

7) Protection issues pre-snap, not being adjusted by the Center or QB pre-snap.

8) Not going after opponents weaknesses on defense. A great example being, an opponent struggle's to cover the TE. Seattle won't attack it. They kinda just do what they do, oblivious of the opponent.

9) Highly effective play? Trying something new? Stop calling it, go back to runs up the gut, and bombing it deep.

10) Over using the main back like they are all Marshawn Lynch. Instead of sharing the load and keeping guys fresher.
Carson? Rawls? Walker? It don't matter. Whoever the lead back is, they are just like Marshawn Lynch, run him into the ground.

11) QB takes the same drop and same launch point over 'n over. Don't move the pocket, don't change the launch point.

(Pass rushers loves this as they no where the QB is gonna be.)

12) For having mobile QBs, don't call enough rollouts, and boots.

13) Not enough playaction, even though effective.

14) Penalties! Lead the league nearly every year.

15) 3rd and short, go empty.

16) 3rd and short, chuck it deep.

17) 3rd and long, run a give up play. Cool with punting.

18) 3rd downs in general, rank bottom half of the league to worst in the league, despite consistent Pro-Bowl QB play throughout the years.

Did I forget anything?

For how talented the Seahawks are, they have coaching issues all over the place on offense, that pre-date Waldron.

Shhhhh. It's all Waldron's fault don't you know?

knownone

Reaction score
We've had a top-10 scoring offense in like 9 of the past 11 seasons. Whatever individual grievances you may have, Pete's offense seems to be working reasonably well.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
We've had a top-10 scoring offense in like 9 of the past 11 seasons. Whatever individual grievances you may have, Pete's offense seems to be working reasonably well.
It’s impossible to communicate with some. Human nature. You’ll never convince them. Like the boss that only works with the malcontent employee.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And rarely do they bootleg, it's always these several step drop backs....Sack. Maddening. Can't say I disagree with your take OP.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade has some really good points. It’s frustrating to say the least watching this team. It has been so much worse in the past though. These are actually good times. As hard as that is to believe.
Pete is a developmental coach, explain to me why it is inconceivable that the Hawks develope concepts they feel are important to be successful as a whole?

Maybe they do get away from some of the things they do well, but how does a team grow if thats NOT the case?

I just think we have to be patient and see how it plays out.

LTH

Seahawker

Reaction score
Nice post Fade,
I think Pete's biggest weakness is his inability or refusal to adjust & adapt. Also think he gives his assistants and even some players too much freedom & control. For being such a "players coach" he sure has a hard time with adjustments and opening the playback.
Some of the above examples remind me of Holmgren calling a 3rd & 10 Mack Strong draw play and getting 9 yards.
It's like their saying, "we're not going to advance into the playback until we master the basic offensive plays.
Either that or we are stuck in a Monte Kiffin time warp, playing the safe percentages as to not turn the ball over.
Love Pete but he is a defense guy and it often feels like we leave too much on the field offensively. At this point in the season I think we'd be better off leaning on the run game vs hoping this team can be proficient in a modern passing game.
As usual our success will likely rest with Pete's defense.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
What was the biggest knock on Drew Lock?

Turnovers.

What was the biggest knock on Geno Smith?

Everybody else on offense.