Did the rams expect us to ice the kicker?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I've long held a theory that the expectation of being "iced" and then not doing it is more off putting than it actually happening.

Was the lack of a timeout coaching genius by PC?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Apparently Pete learned his lesson from the playoff loss to Atlanta Russell's rookie season. (Pete called TO right before the kick which was missed, then Atlanta made the kick to win it after the TO.)

There always seems to be a greater chance to miss any kick when everything is rushed and frantic. Calling a TO just gives the opponent time to relax, breathe and almost always make the kick.

sutz

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1slyi3ov said:
Apparently Pete learned his lesson from the playoff loss to Atlanta Russell's rookie season. (Pete called TO right before the kick which was missed, then Atlanta made the kick to win it after the TO.)

There always seems to be a greater chance to miss any kick when everything is rushed and frantic. Calling a TO just gives the opponent time to relax, breathe and almost always make the kick.
Yeah, I've always wondered about the whole 'icing the kicker' thing. I'm not sure I've ever seen it actually work. :Dunno:

HawkerD

Reaction score
Someone should or probably has run a statistical analysis on it. Of course there are many associated variables that you could account for in a specific situation and go against the grain

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Since we had 2 timeouts left I was more than half expecting it.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Seahawks fans have seen this storyline. "Wide-right" Greg is toast for game winning field goals.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":ozpst68s said:
I've long held a theory that the expectation of being "iced" and then not doing it is more off putting than it actually happening.

Was the lack of a timeout coaching genius by PC?

I think Pete was thinking that with 15 seconds left, you may be able to get the ball back and chuck it twice, perhaps setting up a hail mary or loooong field goal try of our own. if you keep the two timeouts in your pocket you at least keep that prayer alive.

But yeah, as a kicker I would imagine it could mess with you a bit if you are expecting the whistle, hesitate, and it never comes. Could throw off your timing just enough to go wide right an inch.... :lol:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":2taxv5gw said:
Someone should or probably has run a statistical analysis on it. Of course there are many associated variables that you could account for in a specific situation and go against the grain

They have. It does kind of work. But the problem is sample size is really too small to make a strong case for it. At best, it drops the successful kicks about 3-4%. More pronounced on kicks longer than 50.

And not all kickers suffer from being iced. There are plenty of kickers whose iced kicks are better in terms of percentages. But again it's such a small sample that making generalizations about it's effect is difficult to impossible.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The analysis from a couple of years back was that calling timeout was a good move, provided the play was blown dead before the kicker could get a practice kick in.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So many crazy things have happened in that end zone, it's crazy. Both guys missed one, not that anyone in the media would mention it. I love how excuses always start rolling in when the Hawks win. And I really love how much people dislike the Hawks. Excuses don't change a thing, that game could have went either way. BOTH teams made their share of mistakes.

ttown0026

Reaction score
I think against maybe a less experienced kicker you do, but against Greg the Leg I would never give him a practice attempt...

HawkGA

Reaction score
I actually thought at the time it would be good for Carroll to go stand next to a ref as if he was going to ice the kicker but then actually do it.