Did the Bengals loss mirror the 2014 interception in SB?

Tokadub

Reaction score
I think it did.

It seems to me in both games (Seahawks vs Patriots in Superbowl 2014), or (Rams vs Bengals Super Bowl 2022) we have a nearly identical situation.

Both the Seahawks and the Bengals were in a very convincing winning position but they for some reason at the wrong moment(s) decided to abandon the run.

I think the Seahawks had a great game up till that final goal line stand.

I think the Bengals went into the Seahawks mindset (why the Seahawks ultimately lost that game) when they went up 17-13 in the early part of the 3rd quarter.

It was the first time that the 2 youngest head coaches in the league played each other in the post season (let alone the Super Bowl).

I really do think that somehow the Bengals Head Coach got a stroke of uncontrollable diabolical ego that persuaded him to stop doing what was winning. He all the sudden started to try to force the passing game.

It's debatable but I think some coaches think if the run game is why they win, the head coach and the QB get's less credit in that particular game.

If you ask me, if you win a Superbowl your head coach and QB can take a vacation in the exaltation of glory.

But it seems to be the case that in both of these games the Seahawks abandoned the run seconds before being able to win a 2nd straight Super Bowl...

I think what the Bengals did was worst. I think the Bengals coach wanted to flex on the Rams coach that he was the hot young coach in the league...

No matter how you want to dissect the reasoning... the Bengals took a 17-13 lead early in the 3rd quarter and then they did THIS:

Pass plays: 13
Sacks: 6
QB scrambles: 1
Runs: 8
FGs: 1
Punts: 4

You could make an argument if they had just run every play after they took the 17-13 lead they would be more likely to win just based on time (not even caring about first downs).

28 plays (excluding punts and FGS) is 28 x 40 seconds = 18.66 minutes. If this was the case the Bengals would have had about 39 minutes time of possession. I'm not sure without those extra +10 minutes the Rams could have won...

Honestly I think the Bengals going for it at midfield on their first drive was just as bad as abandoning the run... in my opinion their coaching staff should be disowned and humiliated until they are replaced... it's worst than the Seahawks vs Patriots Super Bowl (WAY WORST).

At the end of the day, if I'm a Bengals fan I would be FURIOUS about 20 pass plays to only 8 run plays when you were averaging 4.2 yards per rush.

Not only did you not use the clock correctly but you got sacked 6 times in about 20 minutes???

The Bengals coaching staff is to blame, it's even worst than what the Seahawks did in Superbowl 2014... I'm not sure if anyone is willing to admit this obvious factual reality.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Not even close. "The Play" is legendary and will always be remembered as the worst play ever in a Super Bowl to lose the game. The Rams/Bengals game will barely be remembered a week from now.

nutluck

Reaction score
I don't think it is the same since one was more about a single goal line set of events and the other was about most of the 2nd half. But I do agree with you that I think the Bengals got a little to cute. The 2001 Rams did the same thing but in reverse refused to run until the end of the game and then started moving the ball well but it was to late.

Had the Bengals ran at least half the time which they was running well up to the point they stopped running the ball, I think they win that game. That part I agree with.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The coaching was iffy at best. Several times you're wondering why they abandoned the Run and/or why in the hell is Mixon on the sidelines??? He was getting chunks of yards. They couldn't pass block at all, but yeah, let's abandon the run, when it's WORKING :roll:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
The only way to have a SB loss WORSE than how the Seahawks lost in SB 49...would be if during victory formation somehow they fumbled the snap and gave the ball back to the other team and they ran it in for a game winning TD.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Nah, they don't really resemble each other. Taylor and Callahan called a Shanahan-esque second half that abandoned their run game at precisely the wrong time.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's shocking how bad the coaching was in the 2nd half for the Bengals. The running game flat out was working. They had zero answers for the Rams pass rush. Yet they abandoned the run and left Mixon on the sidelines. It's literally the best way to counter a great pass rush, and they decided to just not run the ball.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Passing the ball loses you the game against the Rams.

But that said, wrong comparison.

That game was less like the Seahawks-Patriots SB and more like the Steelers-Seahawks SB.

It was interesting to see that ridiculous flag at the end of the game that mysteriously converted what would have been a 4th and 10 into a new series of downs.

Sure, there was that missed call on the Bengals TD. Does that make up for the referees literally calling that game completely one-sided for the entire rest of the game, conveniently missing penalties on the Rams on both offense and defense?

That SB was more one-sided than the screw job we got against the Steelers.

Even so, not running the ball was stupid. And running Perine instead of Mixon was nonsensical unless Mixon was hurt or dead. Still not sure what happened there.

The NFL has been trying for years to gift the Rams a SB win. They almost screwed it up but that was clearly not the Rams winning a SB but more the Rams being handed a SB win.

The Bengals helped. And it wasn't smart to run Perine (or whatever his name is), but it wasn't 'Marshawn Lynch on the GL throw it instead' type of stupid. (Carroll keeps his crown of worst play call in SB history forever for that one.)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tokadub":387cjvy1 said:
I think it did.

It seems to me in both games (Seahawks vs Patriots in Superbowl 2014), or (Rams vs Bengals Super Bowl 2022) we have a nearly identical situation.

Both the Seahawks and the Bengals were in a very convincing winning position but they for some reason at the wrong moment(s) decided to abandon the run.

I think the Seahawks had a great game up till that final goal line stand.

I think the Bengals went into the Seahawks mindset (why the Seahawks ultimately lost that game) when they went up 17-13 in the early part of the 3rd quarter.

It was the first time that the 2 youngest head coaches in the league played each other in the post season (let alone the Super Bowl).

I really do think that somehow the Bengals Head Coach got a stroke of uncontrollable diabolical ego that persuaded him to stop doing what was winning. He all the sudden started to try to force the passing game.

It's debatable but I think some coaches think if the run game is why they win, the head coach and the QB get's less credit in that particular game.

If you ask me, if you win a Superbowl your head coach and QB can take a vacation in the exaltation of glory.

But it seems to be the case that in both of these games the Seahawks abandoned the run seconds before being able to win a 2nd straight Super Bowl...

I think what the Bengals did was worst. I think the Bengals coach wanted to flex on the Rams coach that he was the hot young coach in the league...

No matter how you want to dissect the reasoning... the Bengals took a 17-13 lead early in the 3rd quarter and then they did THIS:

Pass plays: 13
Sacks: 6
QB scrambles: 1
Runs: 8
FGs: 1
Punts: 4

You could make an argument if they had just run every play after they took the 17-13 lead they would be more likely to win just based on time (not even caring about first downs).

28 plays (excluding punts and FGS) is 28 x 40 seconds = 18.66 minutes. If this was the case the Bengals would have had about 39 minutes time of possession. I'm not sure without those extra +10 minutes the Rams could have won...

Honestly I think the Bengals going for it at midfield on their first drive was just as bad as abandoning the run... in my opinion their coaching staff should be disowned and humiliated until they are replaced... it's worst than the Seahawks vs Patriots Super Bowl (WAY WORST).

At the end of the day, if I'm a Bengals fan I would be FURIOUS about 20 pass plays to only 8 run plays when you were averaging 4.2 yards per rush.

Not only did you not use the clock correctly but you got sacked 6 times in about 20 minutes???

The Bengals coaching staff is to blame, it's even worst than what the Seahawks did in Superbowl 2014... I'm not sure if anyone is willing to admit this obvious factual reality.
Not to nit-pick, but it's WAY WORSE not WAY worSt.
I do agree that going for it on 4th down @ mid field being a really stupid move. :34853_doh:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If the refs hadn't been letting them play aggressive ALL GAME it wouldn't have seemed so sketchy to call that ticky tack crap. It should have been 4th and goal, and it would have been nice to see the PLAYERS determine the end of the game.

Chapow

Reaction score
Tokadub":rhvym2ka said:

I generally agree with your larger point that it was a poor choice to go so pass heavy when the running game had been pretty effective up to that point, and then the pass protection started to struggle badly about mid way through the 3rd quarter, but I think this comment in particular (emphasis mine) is utterly absurd.

That coaching staff took a team that was 2-14 two years ago to the Super Bowl. They were literally one of the worst teams in the league just two years ago, and they had not been to a Super Bowl in over 30 years. To get to the Super Bowl, they had to beat the #1 seed and the #2 seed on the road in back to back weeks. The Rams were favored to win the Super Bowl, and rightly so IMO. The Rams are the better team. Many people thought that the Rams were going to win fairly easily and convincingly. They didn't. The Bengals put up a hell of a fight and the Rams had to come from behind very late in the 4th quarter to very narrowly get the win.

Despite the fact that some us think they made some poor choices in the Super Bowl, that coaching staff has done a phenomenal job with that team and taken them way farther than anyone expected. To say they should be "disowned and humiliated until they are replaced" is literally one of the most idiotic, asinine things I've ever heard.

On another note, I'm not usually one to make these types comments, but it's getting pretty hard to ignore at this point. Please educate yourself on the difference between the words "worse" and "worst". You sure like to post about things being WORSE than other things, but I don't think I've ever seen you use that word correctly. This would be a good start https://www.espressoenglish.net/differe ... and-worst/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Both teams blew a lead at the end of the game, that's about the only similarity I see.

At least the Bengals have a bad PI call to give some of the blame to, we have no excuses, other than poor execution and getting outcoached in the moment.

James in PA

Reaction score
I hate it when Al Michaels and Chris Collinsworth call a Super Bowl. The outcome of the game is always opposite from what I want. And Michaels still brings up "the play" every friggin chance he gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
If we are making this comparison it's ironic that the game winning TD was a pass from the 1 yard line....called by the coach so many call the best offensive mind in the NFL. (BTW, I've never had an issue with calling a pass play in 49 but rather the actual play call)

nutluck

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":2qhnri82 said:
If we are making this comparison it's ironic that the game winning TD was a pass from the 1 yard line....called by the coach so many call the best offensive mind in the NFL. (BTW, I've never had an issue with calling a pass play in 49 but rather the actual play call)

The difference was Lynch was running well that game and the Rams running game was terrible in the SB. So not really the same. If the Rams had called a run and got stuffed and failed to get a TD then it would have been similar just in reverse.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nutluck":3krrhugw said:
HawkRiderFan":3krrhugw said:

The difference was Lynch was running well that game and the Rams running game was terrible in the SB. So not really the same. If the Rams had called a run and got stuffed and failed to get a TD then it would have been similar just in reverse.

- Patriots put in their run package D
- Lynch had less than a 20% success rate in 2014 from inside the 5
- NFL pass/run ratio for plays called from the 1 are almost exactly at 50/50

If the snap wasn't low adding another second to the play and Kearse actually gets off his block from Browner and picks Butler, it's a TD.

I look forward to typing this another 8,000 times between now and when I take my last breath on earth.