Did the Bengals loss mirror the 2014 interception in SB?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Damn man, you're just dropping truth bombs today. Noice.

It's really interesting that people 100 percent assume that he scores no matter what. He was stopped on 3rd and short and 4th and short a few times that season. Would have have scored? Probably. But.....sometimes it IS ok to the give the opponent credit.
Incredible defensive play. I will never agree with the actual pass play they called, but passing it on 2nd down was not the issue. It was who they threw it to and the play call itself. I too look forward to bringing this up several thousands of times.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Not even close...Seahawks got cute trying to get Wilson the mvp as they didn't wantynch to get it...the nfl handed the rams the win on that phantom call. Huge difference.

Chapow

Reaction score
Cyrus12":kgv9nn3b said:
...Seahawks got cute trying to get Wilson the mvp as they didn't wantynch to get it...

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly it and it had nothing whatsoever to do with any of the things Sgt. Largent posted 2 posts before yours.

nutluck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9o88h098 said:
- Patriots put in their run package D
- Lynch had less than a 20% success rate in 2014 from inside the 5
- NFL pass/run ratio for plays called from the 1 are almost exactly at 50/50

If the snap wasn't low adding another second to the play and Kearse actually gets off his block from Browner and picks Butler, it's a TD.

I look forward to typing this another 8,000 times between now and when I take my last breath on earth.

From what I recall and it has been years, they passed both times. I would have run at least once on 1st or 2nd down. I don't think it was a bad play call they did. bad things happens. I was only pointing out that the hawks was running better than the rams did so it wasn't exactly the same thing.

nutluck

Reaction score
Cyrus12":tipx394z said:
the nfl handed the rams the win on that phantom call. Huge difference.

And handed the bengals 7 points on a non-call. Bad ref calls happen every game and they always will.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
nutluck":24gepqcc said:
Sgt. Largent":24gepqcc said:

If the snap wasn't low adding another second to the play and Kearse actually gets off his block from Browner and picks Butler, it's a TD.

I look forward to typing this another 8,000 times between now and when I take my last breath on earth.

From what I recall and it has been years, they passed both times. I would have run at least once on 1st or 2nd down. I don't think it was a bad play call they did. bad things happens. I was only pointing out that the hawks was running better than the rams did so it wasn't exactly the same thing.

You mean the Hawks? No first down was a run by Lynch to the 1. Lots of people talk about how. Hightower made an under-rated play taking him down on the 1 or else the rest of it never happens.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":19c0yzcl said:
nutluck":19c0yzcl said:
Sgt. Largent":19c0yzcl said:

You mean the Hawks? No first down was a run by Lynch to the 1. Lots of people talk about how. Hightower made an under-rated play taking him down on the 1 or else the rest of it never happens.

Is that the play that he gashed them for 4 or 5 yards to get there? Yeah it made perfect sense to call and run a play right after that the opposing team knew, recognized, and practiced against leading up to the game. The result of that play shouldnt be a surprise to anybody.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":dd2g25be said:
If the refs hadn't been letting them play aggressive ALL GAME it wouldn't have seemed so sketchy to call that ticky tack crap. It should have been 4th and goal, and it would have been nice to see the PLAYERS determine the end of the game.

nailed it.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1duph6u9 said:
nutluck":1duph6u9 said:
HawkRiderFan":1duph6u9 said:
If we are making this comparison it's ironic that the game winning TD was a pass from the 1 yard line....called by the coach so many call the best offensive mind in the NFL. (BTW, I've never had an issue with calling a pass play in 49 but rather the actual play call)

The difference was Lynch was running well that game and the Rams running game was terrible in the SB. So not really the same. If the Rams had called a run and got stuffed and failed to get a TD then it would have been similar just in reverse.

I totally agree with the points made by Sgt Largent above.......not to mention the Hawks were in 11 personnel going against that goal line D.

I've carried on this debate with many Niner and non Niner fans as well.

I don't have a vested interest in defending the Seahawk honor, however as a football fan I do get offended that people have taken an ultra simplistic look at that final offensive play for Seattle...........AND INSISTING THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY 100% CORRECT.

People really think three downs, one time out and under 25 seconds to go, affords you the entire playbook if you call a run on the first play. Some even boldly suggest call a run (get stopped), call timeout, call another run (fail again) then immediately line up to run yet another run play (like when a time rushes the FG team on the field with seconds counting down).

If there's anything to be upset at the coaches about (besides the actual pass play call), it's the burning of 2 timeouts on that drive alone......I don't recall why the first one was called (the one after the big throw to Kearse made sense). One extra time out, and surely a run is called........ (however, the sequence of events surely changes had even just that first time out had not been called).

I will say though that the Hawks even being in position to win that Super Bowl after the crazy comeback against Green Bay with that onside kick, then the Kearse catch set to displace Tyree's helmet catch.............that was just too much luck in one team's favor in too short a period of time to not get corrected by the football gods. The 49ers win in Green Bay recently was nothing compared to that two game sequence in early 2015.

With hindsight, Seattle losing to Green Bay would've likely been better for the team's long term mental health.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NINEster":31r5nc9t said:
I don't have a vested interest in defending the Seahawk honor, however as a football fan I do get offended that people have taken an ultra simplistic look at that final offensive play for Seattle...........AND INSISTING THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY 100% CORRECT.

That's how lazy sports fandom works, 100% reactionary biasness.

Play didn't work = should have not called that play. As opposed to actually breaking down the dozens of factors involved in every playcall that determine success or failure.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And believe it or not, it IS ok to actually give the opponent credit when they make a play. Mind......blown

zhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ck55v8q said:
nutluck":1ck55v8q said:
HawkRiderFan":1ck55v8q said:
If we are making this comparison it's ironic that the game winning TD was a pass from the 1 yard line....called by the coach so many call the best offensive mind in the NFL. (BTW, I've never had an issue with calling a pass play in 49 but rather the actual play call)

The difference was Lynch was running well that game and the Rams running game was terrible in the SB. So not really the same. If the Rams had called a run and got stuffed and failed to get a TD then it would have been similar just in reverse.

This! :2thumbs: