Dickson Draft Appears. . .

JGreen79

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":1cqzxnf1 said:
JGreen79":1cqzxnf1 said:
Hockey Guy":1cqzxnf1 said:
I think he's pretty fortunate that gamble paid off because we would be talking about launching him into the sun if that move had backfired. It's not like he made the 1st down by 10 yards, first contact was right at the first down marker so it was not like it was a sure thing. It was nice to be able to hold the ball & basically run out the clock but it probably wasn't the right time for that particular move.

I think he's been a good pick-up but he's had a couple games where he's hit line drive punts that have screwed up the coverage & we got a little lucky that penalties negated some good returns against us but he's also pinned teams deep with some real nice directional punts. He'll continue to improve & I'm happy to have him.

I think some of his line drive punts are intentional, he does some incredible things with the ball off his foot.

Really??????

Was the shank against the Bears also intentional?

Some - being an unknown, undetermined, or unspecified unit or thing.

Obviously a shank is unintentional, a line drive punt certainly can be.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We could have used a third rounder and people would still be arguing it was worth it. They might even be right.

sutz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":pvyon00q said:
We could have used a third rounder and people would still be arguing it was worth it. They might even be right.
I know what you're saying, but I think most of us consider Green as a better pick there than a punter, even Dickson. ;)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I understand the scarcity issue but I will never understand why kickers are so undervalued.

The goal of playing the game is to win.

I cannot tell you how many games I have seen where teams were tremendously and evenly matched so the outcome literally came down to the kicker. Both in FGs and punts.

Go talk to Buffalo about how screwed one bad kick can leave you.

Kicks make HUGE differences in the playoffs and they make massive differences in deciding closely fought games.

In our case though, a great punter is just as potent as a great punt returner. The flipping the field thing cannot be overstated but also, kicking from the EZ can often result in giving the opposing team the ball in scoring position. At worst, they often get a FG from it.

We are one of the few teams were a mistake near our EZ does not assure the opposing team a score if they force us to a 3 and out. Keeping us inside our 20 still makes you have to drive a reasonably long field because you are most likely going to get the ball at your 30 if he kicks it from our 20.

That is easily worth a 5th, if not a 3rd. (as already pointed out).

He doesn't need to make the HOF to make him worth the pick. He has already shown he is worth it. Additionally, most of the problem has been our god awful punt coverage, not him outkicking it.

D

DomeHawk

TwistedHusky":6at4yzl0 said:
I understand the scarcity issue but I will never understand why kickers are so undervalued.

Yeah, but now they have "House Money" Steven Hauschka. He's made almost everything he's tried this year, (12 of 13). Would've been nice to have House Money last year, after we chose to "undervalue" him.

Let's face it, Dickson's not going to be perfect, kicking an odd-shaped ball w/paid gladiators charging at you isn't necessarily an exact science. The dude is entertaining AND productive though and I feel he's definitely worth the pick.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
After he picked up the first down and we ran off some more time, his next put was 60 yards with enough hang time for our guys to stop the returner for no gain. That was a hell of a punt.

Overall he had 4 punts for 198 yards (avg 49.5) against only 8 return yards. That's a good day on special teams even without the Aussie sweep.

evergreen

Reaction score
He’s special just like quite a few other gems on the team. 2012 anyone?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2k2nmcs0 said:

I don't need to leave Seattle to hear about that.

sutz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2kupwlg2 said:
TwistedHusky":2kupwlg2 said:

Ain't that the truth. And it ain't ancient history either. That's why the only part of the kicking game from last year that is still here is the long snapper.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":2idwzrcw said:
MontanaHawk05":2idwzrcw said:
TwistedHusky":2idwzrcw said:

Ain't that the truth. And it ain't ancient history either. That's why the only part of the kicking game from last year that is still here is the long snapper.

I wonder how our kickers like Ott spinning them the ball. If Dickson has no problems handling his snaps, then I'm happy.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
He is a weapon that will produce for many years. Extreme value for the trade up.
Kudos.

sutz

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2zbppc9j said:
sutz":2zbppc9j said:
MontanaHawk05":2zbppc9j said:
TwistedHusky":2zbppc9j said:

I wonder how our kickers like Ott spinning them the ball. If Dickson has no problems handling his snaps, then I'm happy.
I assume they discuss this on a regular basis. :mrgreen:

The only trouble we had were with Dickson handling snaps for SeaBass. Was a little sketchy the first couple of games. Has looked fine lately. That's a new thing to the Aussie, I assume.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
sutz":1qk7r738 said:
Ad Hawk":1qk7r738 said:
sutz":1qk7r738 said:
MontanaHawk05":1qk7r738 said:

I assume they discuss this on a regular basis. :mrgreen:

[vine]The only trouble we had were with Dickson handling snaps for SeaBass. [/vine] Was a little sketchy the first couple of games. Has looked fine lately. That's a new thing to the Aussie, I assume.

He held for kicks in college but SeaBass is a lefty and that can be an issue for a holder used to righties.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Good kickers are valuable but it's really hard to identify them. The mental aspect makes it hard to trust what you see in practice, and so you're left with really tiny sample sizes. It's like trying to judge a batter after only 40 at bats in which they struck out ten times. Are they on a hot streak, in a slump, or performing at their average level?

The best kicker in the 2017 draft was Zane Gonzalez who doesn't currently have a job after missing a couple key kicks for the Browns this season. The best kicker in the 2018 draft was Daniel Carlson, who was cut after just two games this season.

There's less variance in punting because there are more outcomes besides simply all or nothing and so punters are less risky. A fifth round pick is a reasonable gamble on a punter with good upside but I'd be hesitant to take a place kicker that early simply because of how large the uncertainties are around rookie kickers.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seymour":jj223eke said:
I've liked the pick from the beginning, but being honest he's had less impact than I had envisioned. I'm not real keen on the Aussie sweep either, it was too close and too risky and to be honest that choice should be above his pay grade IMO. The guy really doesn't even understand the game all that well for one.

That said, he made it and we won and ringmaster Pete seemed happy LOL.
I'm just not seeing HOF type talent yet and I figured that level of talent would show up right away. Still like the pick...

.waiting to love the lick right now. :2thumbs:

I'd wait all day for a good lick.

Latest posts