Clint Hurt Should Be Fired

sutz

Reaction score
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
So let me get this straight.

For the past decade all this forum did was complain about how Pete's a defensive coach, he can't coach or scheme offense, we need to let Russ cook, no more boring predictable Pete-ball, blah blah blah.

And the very first year that we all have the revelation that it was never Pete, it was the limitations of our QB combined with a very large majority of our cap being dedicated to an aging often injured defense that could no longer play at the level they used to play at.........we all now think Pete and his coordinators can't coach defense?

Sorry, I'm not down with the moving of the goal post knee jerk flavor of the week hot takes.

If the 2022 Seahawks have proven anything, it's that Pete Carroll can coach, and coach at a VERY high level in this league. So until I see the defense playing poorly with a healthy talented roster of players and not one of the worst front sevens in team history and young secondary? Nope. Not buying what you guys are knee jerking about Pete and his coordinators not being able to coach defense.
Answer the question, on what merits did Clint Hurtt demonstrate that he should have been promoted to DC? You're avoiding it. What about Norton Jr, who was horrendous on the Oakland Raiders, why did he get promoted to DC? Why has Carroll failed to even have a top 10 defense since 2017? You can't say BUT RUSSELL WILSON either, other teams with highly paid QB's are able to build strong defenses.

I'm not saying Carroll is a bad coach here, i'm saying he is not above reproach for some of his decisions regarding our defense over the last 5+ years. We have not had a good defense for quite some time. You say it's due to lack of talent, yet you also said Carroll is the best talent evaluator in the NFL. You're contradicting yourself, which is it here?

What I'm saying about Carroll is he has people in his ear that he probably shouldn't have in his ear. Clint Hurtt has coached the worst performing unit on the Seahawks yet was given a raise. You're saying "Oh he's fine because Pete Carroll" how did that work out for Richards, Norton Jr., Cable and Bevell who were also below average coordinators/assistance hired by Seattle? Cable in particular has a huge impact on our drafts and immediately after he left our line evaluations improved significantly.

Once again, I'm not saying Carroll should be fired or that he is a bad coach. What I am saying is that he has a history here of hiring and listening to people that he probably shouldn't and that he is not above reproach.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Answer the question, on what merits did Clint Hurtt demonstrate that he should have been promoted to DC? You're avoiding it. What about Norton Jr, who was horrendous on the Oakland Raiders, why did he get promoted to DC? Why has Carroll failed to even have a top 10 defense since 2017? You can't say BUT RUSSELL WILSON either, other teams with highly paid QB's are able to build strong defenses.

What merits did Dan Quinn, Gus Bradley or Ken Norton have?

No more than Hurtt did. They were all promoted from line or college coordinator coaches. Because that's how Pete likes to do things with his coordinators, he likes to either promote within or find someone who gels with his philosophies.

As do most coaches, this isn't an outlier with head coaches in the NFL.

So for the 4th time now, there's no difference between any of this, any year, any defense other than talent. To think Pete Carroll or Clint Hurtt all of a sudden forgot how to coach defense and THAT'S the problem this year is ridiculous.

Just like it was ridiculous to think Pete Carroll and his coordinators forgot how to coach offense the past 3-4 years because their QB's limitations were creating a chasm of dysfunction and inefficiency that they couldn't overcome.