Chances Hawks trade their first round pick to move down?

seabowl

Reaction score
In my opinion I think there is an 80% chance they move down from 9. Just too much history for them not to trade down. If they do I truly hope they don’t mess it up as we have missed out on some great talent in the past by trading down.

sutz

Reaction score
Actually, I think it's only about a 50-50 chance, because there is likely to be someone there at a position of need when we go on the clock. I'm talking about a non-QB, of course. ;)

nwHawk

Reaction score
I think there is a better than 75% chance they trade down.

Rat

Reaction score
That makes sense with what we need and where the value is (although I want Stingley if he's there) but I still think there's a good chance we end up trading up from one of the second rounders to get a QB in the mid-late first. Could be a lot of wheeling and dealing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And if they can add a 2nd or 3rd by just moving down a few spots? Very possible that John would trade down. Trading down is his jam.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I expect us to trade down for picks. I think the draft is a crap-shoot anyway and John's 1st rounders have seldom panned out (of course we have tended to pick near the end of the 1st round). We got Bobby Wagner in the 2nd, Wilson in the 3rd, Sherman in the 5th, I can't remember what round Chancellor was drafted in. Balwin was a free agent.

I'd like us to get a game changing stud in the #9 pick but I'm not sure John can do it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
60/40 in favor of trade down. They need to acquire ammo to move back into the first.

It depends on who falls, and let's also consider that this will probably be a horrible market to trade back in. The return probably isn't going to be totally even.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think they trade down if the guy they want.. whoever that is..isn't there. I just hope they don't trade down too far or worse out the first rd. Many now have Thibedeaux falling to 9...Take it?

GemCity

Reaction score
Strong possibility. I’m stating the obvious, as others have, when I say it depends on who is available.

If I had the picks, there are 6-7 guys I would take if they were available (regardless if they were a position of need).

But, those guys are likely slotted to go in picks one through six 🥴.

I’m leaning toward PC and JS either nabbing a another first and second (doubt this happens) or another first and third.

If a team is desperate enough, and we expect them to be terrible this year, I’d love more shots for an early first in next years draft. Maybe even have them add a late round pick in this or next years draft.

JS and PC have been fairly adept at flipping value. It’s what they do with those picks that has me scratching my head sometimes (Eskridge over Creed and/or Myers). LJ…Penny over Chubb. That last one may work out but, you know what I’m saying!

If they can bring back that old witchery they had before, we’re in for good times.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
If there is a marginal player with a small upside who went to the Jr College of the Ozarks and converted from CB to OT before taking a year off to climb Everest available at #9, we will take him.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
They will trade down. By trading down they will miss out on a couple of players at positions of need that will end up being great players. They will select two or three extra players - none of which will even justify a second contract. They will have failed again.

It is tradition. And ownership are such cowards and imbeciles they will do nothing to fix it.

BTW The Chiefs want to move up for a specific player and have two firsts both around 29-30. They might be a target with us drafting two late late 1sts instead. Man I hate PC and JS. Just GTFO now.

GemCity

Reaction score
If there is a marginal player with a small upside who went to the Jr College of the Ozarks and converted from CB to OT before taking a year off to climb Everest available at #9, we will take him.
LMAO!!! Classic. With your approval, I may want this as my sig during draft comments.🤣🤣

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm OK with us moving down once, once.

But If I see 2-3 move downs into the 20's I'm going to throw my beer through my television.

All Pete and John have done for a decade is tell us that they had no REAL first round grades after like pick 15, and that's why we always trade down at the end of the 1st, or into the 2nd.

Well here's your chance at #9 to finally get the impact player we need to jump start this rebuild. So if I see a bunch of trade downs getting cute cause John and Pete think they know something no one else does? GTFO with that nonsense.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
My biggest issue is so often they seem to take a player much higher then they were projected: Penney, Collier, Irvin, McDowell , Carpenter, Eskridge, etc…

If they want to take xyz player then fine, but know where in the draft you should take them. Seems they were quite early on most of these players.

GemCity

Reaction score
My biggest issue is so often they seem to take a player much higher then they were projected: Penney, Collier, Irvin, McDowell , Carpenter, Eskridge, etc…

If they want to take xyz player then fine, but know where in the draft you should take them. Seems they were quite early on most of these players.
Folks will mention Brooks but, I agree with you. The “win rate” on these picks Has to be higher.

Rat

Reaction score

McDowell went right where he was projected, but I agree with your overall point. They're a less extreme version of the Mayock/Gruden Raider partnership, that busted largely because they thought they were smarter than everyone else with the draft. Guys like Ferrell, Arnette, and Leatherwood were WAY overdrafted and have done nothing, but show the Raiders thought too highly of them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think they will use #9 pick. This is the second time they have been picking in the top 10 since they took over the Seahawks. I think they will go with OL or DL there, leaning more toward OL.

My gut feeling is telling me there's a higher chance they trade up from their 2nd round picks into the first round if there is someone like say Ridder or Corral still available late in the 1st rd.