Chances Hawks trade their first round pick to move down?

Rat

Reaction score
I have a feeling there are like 5-6 players they would love to get at #9. Chances are, those players will all be gone by 9. So, I predict another trade down. I'd be fine with that as long as a guy like Sauce or Thibodeaux isn't still available.
I dont see a realistic chance of Sauce being there, but if he's still around at 7-8, I might be interested in finding out the price for a small trade-ups.

As for Thibs, I cant remember a player without an enormous character red flag whose stock was more difficult to figure out. Some reports have him as like a top 3 lock, with a possibility still of going first. Then I see all these other reports that he could fall out of the top 10. Peter King (who is an idiot, but a well-connected one) had us trading back to 13th and still getting him. I dont know what to think.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well the one rule in the draft that we should know by now....

ALWAYS ALWAYS trade up for poor character picks as long as the issue is not work ethic.

So many times when a pick drops because of character issues, you can get tremendous talent at a much lower cost.

Going all the way back to Warren Sapp or before. Whether Joe Mixon, Le'El Collins, or even Frank Clark - usually a good bet.

Maybe the Tunsil or Nkemdiche things did not work out, but one of the best indicators that someone is going to be a good player tends to be dropping due to character concerns (unless again, work ethic).

I am all for getting as many low character guys with high upside we can get.

Rat

Reaction score
Maybe the Tunsil or Nkemdiche things did not work out, but one of the best indicators that someone is going to be a good player tends to be dropping due to character concerns (unless again, work ethic).

I am all for getting as many low character guys with high upside we can get.
Tunsil has been fantastic. The Dolphins got a top 5-10 LT with the 13th pick through his rookie contract, and then flipped him to the Texans for two firsts, one of which became the 3rd overall pick, which they then flipped to the Niners for a bounty. And he has still played very well for the Texans.

If you're looking for ones that didnt work out, replace Tunsil with Justin Blackmon. Also add Randy Moss to the success stories.

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep. Even the guys that don't work out kinda work out.
Vontaze Burfict was a character concern. And you can argue that he didn't work out. But at the slot he was selected he was an absolute stud.

Harvin was a concern before the draft, and it ended up true. But he was a field filter, just rarely played.

Robert Nkemdiche was more an exception, but you almost had to take the risk considering the # of great players you get from taking guys that drop draft slots due to character concerns (or drug use concerns like MJ, not the hard stuff)

Suh was a character concern. Rightfully so. Probably still worth it though it is rarely worth it to spend a high draft pick on a DT.

But for a DE? Please. Give me the guys with character concerns all day every day. Aldon Smith was worth the off field stuff, no matter how many fake airplane bombs he joked about. And Frank Clark was just fine, even after getting accused of stealing (a purse?).

One glaring exception is QB, character concerns on QB rarely end up with great success later - but yes for the rest.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Thibodeaux is a wild card.

He could go top 4, or drop to the late teens. Some teams will say, hey- how much do you love football. Just by asking that question you know he’s off a handful of teams early. I can see a scenario where he is on the board and Seattle trades down.

u0087966

Reaction score
I think Philly might be a good trade partner. I think it would be interesting to get Philly's 15 and 18 for the Hawks 9, 40 (and possibly 109). I hear the Eagle like that Georgia tackle (Jordan Davis) but are afraid the Ravens will pick him at 14. The Hawks could get possibly Penning, Johnson in the 1st.

SEAHAWKSTER

Reaction score
I’m thinking if one of the edge rushers, corners and or offensive tackles are available we stay put... if not we trade back maybe with a QB needy team ( Steelers , Saints, etc.)
Or a WR needy team and get two first rounders out of it to fill more holes (Kansas City , Philly , etc)... we have a lot of holes so the more picks the better .... two more days and we’ll see what happens .....

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Well, Here is nine (Plus 2 extras) I’ll be happy with any of them.

Hutchinson
Thibidoux
Neal
Walker
Stingley
Gardner
ekwonu
Cross
Johnson
Maybe Davis
Maybe Penning

I’d PREFER not to draft a CB but there are two worthy candidates in there. I do NOT want a QB at 9.

Of course with these idiots we will probably take Boye Mafe at 9.

Last edited:
K

K.J WRIGHT

Well, Here is nine. I’ll be happy with any of them.

Hutchinson
Thibidoux
Neal
Walker
Stingley
Gardner
ekwonu
Cross
Johnson
Maybe Davis
Maybe Penning

I’d PREFER not to draft a CB but there are two worthy candidates in there. I do NOT want a QB at 9.

Of course with these idiots we will probably take Boye Mafe at 9.Looks like 11 to me.

samwize77

Reaction score
2 trade downs possible..........into the late teens/early 20's for our first pick. A pretty good amount of talent in mid-rounds....get more picks there.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
2 trade downs possible..........into the late teens/early 20's for our first pick. A pretty good amount of talent in mid-rounds....get more picks there.
If they have takers I could definitely see this happening

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Except for the top 10-12 players this draft is fairly deep. The top guys are unusually good players and making a pick at 9 will bring the team a good player, but ther player may not fit a team need if the Hawks pick then. I too think the team will most likely trade down and possibly even out of the first round acquiring picks this will not be popular with many if the later option is taken.

It’s nice to have hopes of a special DLineman or edge rusher from the top tier but the way the team is now situated there is a critical need at OT with no stater quality LT or RT on the roster. There is also obvious need at Edge, CB, and QB too. Seems odd that they are actually going into the draft with so many obvious needs that their directions might be obvious.

Most of us have some ideas of who is who in the draft, and most of us will be disappointed in the players drafted when we want player X or Y. Winning the draft means little as the Jets and other perennial bottom dwelling teams regularly seem to do so without that translating to team success until the culture is changed for the team.

Unfortunately the Hawks have spiralled downwards recently without much quality new fresh talent as many of the new players simply have been unhealthy enough to be unable to see the field or consistently show why they were thought worthy enough to be picked by the team. Many many misted have been made with personnel decisions albeit for reasons perhaps unrelated to the players potential abilities yet showing up ability up is a key ability.

This is an important draft and this team truly needs a refresh and significant infusion of talent. To me there is a lot riding on it and even the jobs of P’nJ. There has been lately a lot of stubborn or even arrogant close minded thinking and instead building by being quick to grab castoffs from other rosters as good as several have been b/c the fresh blood hasn’t come from the draft as those drafted can’t get on or stay on the field despite flashes of ability.

To me there appears hopefully to be a new direction and it is towards being a young team again. If they trade down let us all hope those moves succeed in the acquisition of quality players as the team sure needs help to avoid another season of being a bottom ten team and finishing lady in the division.

I will watch and hope but have my fingers crossed they get it right. This post upon rereading seems negative but the FO is at times good at recognizing talent let’s remain positive in a belief they will score big this draft.

Last edited:

samwize77

Reaction score
No pick is a sure shot. We all know that. Sure, there is a possibility that there could be a few HOF'ers in the first round, but to be in the right spot, with the right team need, and to have that pick hit big...well....lets just say, I'd rather roll the dice more times. Especially this draft. And even if we trade down...I see it feasible to trade down and still stay well into the first round and pick up 3, even 4 more picks in an overall good draft class. I can dream right??....lol

toffee

Reaction score
I keep seeing reports that it might not be completely out of the realm off possibility that Evan Neal falls to the bottom part of the top 10. If he's there and we trade down to pick up an extra third or something, I'm going to be pissed.
In my make believe world, I would trade down for Even Neal, and, also trade up to grab Tyler Linderbaum.

I think our OL would be quite good by 2023, and ready for that franchise QB. Assuming Penny stays healthy and DK/Lockett simply stays.

John63

Reaction score
I think the odds are very good they rade down for more picks. That is their MO.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
In my make believe world, I would trade down for Even Neal, and, also trade up to grab Tyler Linderbaum.

I think our OL would be quite good by 2023, and ready for that franchise QB. Assuming Penny stays healthy and DK/Lockett simply stays.
They have rolled the dice by moving down and getting quantity. They have been abject failures at those picks for a long long time.

they now have the chance to draft at a high position where they can draft ANY but 8 players in the draft pool. Something they have not done for a long time. And some want to throw that higher chance of drafting a pro for a couple extra chances of drafting joes?

sigh.